Home

Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
MVP

faster's Arena

OVR: 13
ps3 or 360?

ah.... i'm so torn.. i have to choose since I'm broke. any ideas guys? -- crap, i put this under rosters .... bah!

Last edited by faster; 08-12-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: ps3 or 360?

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguit
ah.... i'm so torn.. i have to choose since I'm broke. any ideas guys? -- crap, i put this under rosters .... bah!
I wondered about this myself. I have both copies and own a 360 and a PS3. I could not get a good answer from anyone. There are too many fanboys sometimes. I like both system, and have both for the exclusive games that come out for a system. When it comes to multiplatform games, I just buy the better version. Online doesn't mean much to me since I don't play online much. So the superiority of Xbox live (from what everyone says) means nothing to me really either. I just get patches and roster updates mostly. I like both controllers. They both have their pros and cons.

Having said that, EA tends to develop for the 360 and port to the PS3 from what I understand. This is the first time that I have thought that an EA game was just as good on the PS3.

I played both versions extensively today. Here are my thoughts.
Both games look very very close graphically. You honestly have to be very very picky like me to really care. If you only have a PS3 or 360 then you shouldn't worry about it. If you have both and really want to scrutinize graphics, here is what I think.

The PS3 version seems to be just a tad bit choppier and not as smooth as the 360 version. It almost seems like the framerate is not as steady. I am someone who sees these things easily. I used to get headaches from playing some FPS games that had poor framerate. It is very very slight however.

Replays. The PS3 replays stink compared to the 360. The ball doesn't even rotate and its choppy.

Colors. About the same. The PS3 colors are more vibrant on my HDTV, but the 360 grass and textures look just a tad better. And I mean a tad. Helmets are shiny on both. For some reason, the stadium I saw (Lucas Field in Indy) looked better on the 360. The PS3 version looked more washed out. Some of these differences may be my TV settings (I do have both set at the same contrast, color, brightness, etc.).

There are a few more "jaggies" on the PS3 version when looking at things from a distance.

Controllers. Both are equally responsive. So it depends on which one you like.

For some reason, the 360 version loaded faster. Must be due to the blu-ray.

Patches. Patch 1 is already out for the PS3 so it plays a better game already, but the xbox one is coming out soon. Usually for some reason, the PS3 gets the patches after the 360, like in the case of NCAA this year and last year, and Madden last year.

So my advice is that if you have both systems, go for the 360 version unless you have more friends on the PS3, like the controller better, or don't want to pay at all for online.

It would be nice if EA or someone could develop a football game just for the PS3, but we know that won't happen due to budgets. Unless of course, Sony decided to do it. They could. They did a great job with MLB 08 The Show. But, it would take them a while to catch up to Madden. Or would it? Hmmm. After seeing and playing MGS4 it shows you what the PS3 can do.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
MVP

faster's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
I wondered about this myself. I have both copies and own a 360 and a PS3. I could not get a good answer from anyone. There are too many fanboys sometimes. I like both system, and have both for the exclusive games that come out for a system. When it comes to multiplatform games, I just buy the better version. Online doesn't mean much to me since I don't play online much. So the superiority of Xbox live (from what everyone says) means nothing to me really either. I just get patches and roster updates mostly. I like both controllers. They both have their pros and cons.

Having said that, EA tends to develop for the 360 and port to the PS3 from what I understand. This is the first time that I have thought that an EA game was just as good on the PS3.

I played both versions extensively today. Here are my thoughts.
Both games look very very close graphically. You honestly have to be very very picky like me to really care. If you only have a PS3 or 360 then you shouldn't worry about it. If you have both and really want to scrutinize graphics, here is what I think.

The PS3 version seems to be just a tad bit choppier and not as smooth as the 360 version. It almost seems like the framerate is not as steady. I am someone who sees these things easily. I used to get headaches from playing some FPS games that had poor framerate. It is very very slight however.

Replays. The PS3 replays stink compared to the 360. The ball doesn't even rotate and its choppy.

Colors. About the same. The PS3 colors are more vibrant on my HDTV, but the 360 grass and textures look just a tad better. And I mean a tad. Helmets are shiny on both. For some reason, the stadium I saw (Lucas Field in Indy) looked better on the 360. The PS3 version looked more washed out. Some of these differences may be my TV settings (I do have both set at the same contrast, color, brightness, etc.).

There are a few more "jaggies" on the PS3 version when looking at things from a distance.

Controllers. Both are equally responsive. So it depends on which one you like.

For some reason, the 360 version loaded faster. Must be due to the blu-ray.

Patches. Patch 1 is already out for the PS3 so it plays a better game already, but the xbox one is coming out soon. Usually for some reason, the PS3 gets the patches after the 360, like in the case of NCAA this year and last year, and Madden last year.

So my advice is that if you have both systems, go for the 360 version unless you have more friends on the PS3, like the controller better, or don't want to pay at all for online.

It would be nice if EA or someone could develop a football game just for the PS3, but we know that won't happen due to budgets. Unless of course, Sony decided to do it. They could. They did a great job with MLB 08 The Show. But, it would take them a while to catch up to Madden. Or would it? Hmmm. After seeing and playing MGS4 it shows you what the PS3 can do.
Thank you... VERY VERY thorough. Looks like I'll pick up the 360
Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguit
Thank you... VERY VERY thorough. Looks like I'll pick up the 360
You're welcome. So far I am liking the game a lot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters »