Home

Fans of teams now in a 3-4 defense

This is a discussion on Fans of teams now in a 3-4 defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Fans of teams now in a 3-4 defense

I'm looking for some info from anyone who can help. I'm trying to get my rosters as accurate as possible after the draft. To do so, I need to change some ratings/positions of players on teams changing to a 3-4 defensive scheme.

Like Aaron Kampman from the Packers. He's a 4-3 DE but I've heard he's going to be playing OLB in the 3-4 for the Packers' new 3-4 scheme. If I simply just change his position to an OLB, his ratings will drop significantly.

Anyone who knows about the Broncos, Packers, Chiefs, Cardinals... let me know.

From what I know, there are going to be another 8 teams running the 3-4 this year, as they have in the past. Browns, Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, Cowboys, Jets, Dolphins, and the Chargers.

Any new info is appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Fans of teams now in a 3-4 defense

It's kind of backwards, but as far as pass rushers go speed weighs more heavily for 4-3 ends and strength factors more for 3-4 linebackers. Unfortunately Kampman's STR is already high so the standard fix won't work.

First thing you should do is bump his AGI up into line with his SPD. Off the top of my head, as an end AGI is probably 8-10 points lower than SPD; increase AGI until they're about the same.

After that it's just a matter of tweaking AWR and TAK. It shouldn't be hard to find the right comparables at OLB because there are only so many guys with OVR approaching 99 and 80+/80+ SPD/STR. Awareness and tackling should be a bit higher than guys like Ware/Merriman/Harrison because his physical attributes aren't quite as good.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Rookie

Good info.

I was however looking for those that could tell me what each 3-4 team plans to do with their players. Who's getting switched, and who isn't? Who was listed incorrectly in Madden. Like Ngata from the Ravens was listed at RE when he's clearly a DT.

Who are the guys who are going to switch (like Kampman) to OLB? Who are the guys who are going to take over at DE to replace guys like Kampman?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

For the Packers, while a true depth chart hasn't been released, they've talked about where a lot of players will fit into the 3-4 over the past few months.

As you said, Kampman is definitely a 3-4 now, I'm going to assume they'll put him on the strong side since that's where he's always played. (LOLB) Hawk and Barnett are looking like they'll be the two ILBs. I've heard Barnett will likely play the weak side, with Hawk on the strong. Chillar and Desmond Bishop would be the two backups there. The question is then the opposite OLB. Potentially, Poppinga could play there, but I'd put him more as a backup to Kampman. I think two guys who could definitely challenge to start are Jason Hunter and Jeremy Thompson. Both gained a fair amount of weight last year trying to play 4-3 DE, but they both have much slimmer frames than that and will likely slim back down to a more comfortable weight. Jeremy Thompson is a fantastic athlete, I really think he will benefit a LOT from going to a 3-4 OLB position. I think I remember even hearing Parcells liked him a lot coming out of college last year.

As for the defensive line, I think it's pretty set. Cullen Jenkins will likely win the RE spot. He's an absolute beast when healthy who could play 4-3 DE and DT very well. I think he'll definitely win the starting spot at RE. Ryan Pickett is almost assuredly the starting Nose Tackle. The LE spot is a big question mark. Could go to Johnny Jolly, Montgomery, Harrell or even Alfred Malone. I'd also say Harrell is most likely the guy right behind Pickett for the NT position, but I think he'll also be able to play 3-4 end. And it might better suit him with his back problems and all, he can stay around 300lbs, rather than need to put on even more weight.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 AM   #5
Rookie

harvey85's Arena

OVR: 3

It all depends on who the packers draft. They might get tyson jackson. I would take orakpo if he fell to them. i dont think we should waste the 9th on raji when we can wait a round and pick up ron brace who is bigger not as fast but you want someone who's going to take up blockers so he would be my second round choice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenmber2
Who was listed incorrectly in Madden. Like Ngata from the Ravens was listed at RE when he's clearly a DT.
No. Ngata plays end in the 3-4. Gregg is the nose tackle.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

What do you need to know about the Cardinals?

LOLB - Chike/Haggans
LILB - Hayes
RILB - Dansby
ROLB - Berry/Laboy
Old 04-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aten
No. Ngata plays end in the 3-4. Gregg is the nose tackle.
Really? Alrighty then, I changed him to DT because I didn't think there should be a 340lb DE, but I guess I'll change him back now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters »