Home

Want a realistic draft class?

This is a discussion on Want a realistic draft class? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Want a realistic draft class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky
I know that the speed chart that was used on the NCAA file was the one that mr blonde developed. It goes off 40 times from one of the draft websites. I know speed was toned down so there were not a lot of 90+ speed guys. I don't think anyone has a 98 or 99 speed in the entire file.

That could be affecting some guys not coming in very high. Speed, ACC, and awareness were toned down across the board on the Community 360 file that Mustang took over.

I haven't touched speed or ACC. Just upped awareness for guys and some other attributes.

Kahlil is a 99 overall in NCAA and came out really low which puzzles me. Maybe I'll have to set everything to 99 and see what happens. Blackmon is a 99 as well and Richardson is a 96 I believe.

QB's seem really good. I need to get that Oregon QB to stay and then it will look about perfect. FB's need to be overhauled again and so do RB's. I haven't gotten into the other positions very much.

I won't be able to work on the file this weekend. Iowa bowl game tonight, and New Year's Eve parties to go to Saturday. Come Sunday I will just want to lay around and watch the Vikings. I have to go back to work Monday.

The latest file is in my EA Locker. If anyone wants to download and do some testing then we can see how random things are. I know my 1st and 2nd test were very different after some minor edits. The last two years have been a bear to try and get the draft classes realistic and consistent and this year seems no different. I just want to try and get it as close as possible so at least the right guys are in the ballpark of where they should go.
I will put in some work on this tonight with more edits. I don't have a problem with going overboard on the ratings. We can always edit the incoming rookies in our Madden franchises. I want realistic player projections so if going crazy on the ratings is what it'll take, then that's what we should do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #26
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

Here is a good place to keep checking on who is going pro.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012underclassmen.php

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Old 12-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #27
MVP

Icy4me's Arena

OVR: 15

I saw a post and they said if you make RG III's HT to 6'3 hes a 1st rounder most of the time.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #28
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

Found this on the boards for ratings in Madden 10.

40 time = Speed Rating
5.00 = 50
4.90 = 55
4.82 = 60
4.74 = 65
4.67 = 70
4.59 = 75
4.52 = 80
4.44 = 85
4.37 = 90
4.29 = 95
4.25 = 99

Bench Reps = Strength Rating
35-40 = 95-99
34-30 = 85-94
29-25 = 80-84
24-20 = 75-79
19-15 = 65-74
14-10 = 59-64
Under 10 = Under 50

Vertical Jump = Jump Rating
+40" = 92-99
39-35 = 83-91
34-30 = 70-82
29-25 = 56-69
24-20 = Under 50

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
MVP

Robcards's Arena

OVR: 9

I put a lot of time and effort into trying to accomplish this and while my attempt was futile as everytime you sim a season and load a draft class with a particular roster, the average (I'm sure you know everytime you load a draft class in madden the projected rounds change for some players) projected rounds are different every time.

That being said, here are some important things I learned and you should consider before taking on this task:

1. Make everyone leaving early a senior. The ages are pretty random, you can have RS Juniors be 25 years old and RS Seniors be 23, etc. Don't worry about it, it's WAY less of a hassle than trying to get all the guys you want to leave early. Just scrap that idea, trust me lol.

2. In Madden, anyone not a projected round 1 will not have A potential and as such will only be able to be 89 ovr in his career. Not realistic, I know, but keep this in mind when changing ratings around to get the projected rounds for players.

3. When converting from NCAA to Madden ratings, this is what I've found to be the case on average, I will use a player with a 95 overall in NCAA as the converter:

Average round 1 pick is 79, round 2 76, round 3 74, round 4 72, round 5 69, round 6 65, round 7 60

Keep in mind this chart is just so you know how to create a balanced class, if you use the same overall ratings for every position youll end up with half the round 1 picks being DEs, no round 1 off linemen or wide receivers, etc. In short, the higher the converted average overall rating, the lower you're graduating class should be across the board, so DEs should be at most 92, and OT or WR you'll need some 99s to get round 1 and A potential.

QB 95->75
HB 95->73
FB 95->89
WR 95->70
TE 95->81
OT 95->70
OG 95->71
C 95->68
DE 95->83
DT 95->78
OLB 95->76
MLB 95->74
CB 95->75
FS 95->79
SS 95->80
K 95->82
P 95->82

4. This is only for if you're going to draft for every team manually, but you'll notice that Madden has once again not supported 3-4 defenses at all, and the CPU will sign 4-3 DEs to the Ravens or Steelers and draft 4-3 OLBs and so forth, very frustrating! Obviously a simple fix of having 3-4 teams depth chart being NT, 2 DTs, 2 DEs, and 2 ILBs, but oh well.

For now, here's what you need to do to get the right amount of 3-4 players as 14 teams run the 3-4 and 18 run 4-3:

5 DTs need to pack on some lbs and be 325+ NTs (2012 shouldn't be an issue with 350lb guys like Poe and Ta'amu, but later years underclassmen are underweight)
8-10 DTs -> DE
8-10 DEs -> OLB (include guys like Courtney Upshaw who are already OLB in the game in this count, as he's already a 3-4 OLB)

5. I believe size does matter to some extent, which is why it's damn near impossible to get Matt Barkley to be a 1st rounder since he's 6'2, I think it's just harder for guys to have A potential if they aren't the right size for the NFL.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll contribute to the cause after all of the declared underclassmen are known as I was going to revamp Mustang's roster myself to make all of them seniors anyway.

PS- I noticed you added FCS players to random teams, might I suggest adding them to the FBS teams they played for? Janoris Jenkins - Florida, Aaron Corp - USC, BJ Coleman - Tennessee, etc.

Also, http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...kings/TSX/2012 is a good resource for 2013 and later (I usually make the top top guys like Lattimore, Mathieu and Woods juniors so they graduate in 2013, trying to predict 50 underclassmen leaving early for 2013 and later would be tough though)

Last edited by Robcards; 01-03-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #30
Banned

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am bowing out of this project. It's not that I don't want a great draft class, but I have two issues that are holding me back.

My computer effectively died so keeping in touch for the foreseeable future is probably out of the question. I am currently using my wife's old Dell that is so old that it won't even let me install the newest version of Firefox.

Secondly, I have tinkered with the draft class and the results are fairly solid - I think you guys know my general strategy with it, but the player models are so bad that I think Madden generated classes are the way to go. I simulated a season and most of the rookies still look ridiculous. It is really too bad that the importing of draft classes was so painfully bad this year. I tinkered around with trying to edit body types in NCAA to see if that would help, but to no avail. There's really no use in wasting my time on these draft classes if the models are this bad. I've seen little scat backs come in and look like William Perry with the airplane shoulder pads, I've seen quarterbacks look like horse jockey's... I usually don't trip too much over the visual side of things but that was just too much. Maybe it was just a bad batch, but it was painful to look at and frustrating.

I think we have a decent set going, so maybe we all just individually build on that... I don't know. But for now, I don't want to waste anymore time on this and will hope that the draft classes are better and more customizable next year.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #31
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
I just wanted to let everyone know that I am bowing out of this project. It's not that I don't want a great draft class, but I have two issues that are holding me back.

My computer effectively died so keeping in touch for the foreseeable future is probably out of the question. I am currently using my wife's old Dell that is so old that it won't even let me install the newest version of Firefox.

Secondly, I have tinkered with the draft class and the results are fairly solid - I think you guys know my general strategy with it, but the player models are so bad that I think Madden generated classes are the way to go. I simulated a season and most of the rookies still look ridiculous. It is really too bad that the importing of draft classes was so painfully bad this year. I tinkered around with trying to edit body types in NCAA to see if that would help, but to no avail. There's really no use in wasting my time on these draft classes if the models are this bad. I've seen little scat backs come in and look like William Perry with the airplane shoulder pads, I've seen quarterbacks look like horse jockey's... I usually don't trip too much over the visual side of things but that was just too much. Maybe it was just a bad batch, but it was painful to look at and frustrating.

I think we have a decent set going, so maybe we all just individually build on that... I don't know. But for now, I don't want to waste anymore time on this and will hope that the draft classes are better and more customizable next year.
No problem and I totally understand. I HATE the models too and it sucks we can't even edit the players post draft to make them look right. Maybe one day Madden will finally get the imports right. It's been since the PS2/XBOX days since imports worked correctly without much tinkering too.

Thanks for the work you've done so far!

Is the latest file in your EA Locker?

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #32
MVP

Robcards's Arena

OVR: 9

I forgot to mention the most important part in my post, when it does come time to make the draft class you need to do the following:

1. Sim to end of bowl season, not end of season.
2. Save a 2nd copy of the dynasty.
3. Sim to players leaving, look at players leaving, sort by all teams all positions.
4. In a notepad file, phone, paper and pen, stone and chisel, whatever, write down the teams and positions leaving early.
5. Load the dynasty file at end of bowl season and go to edit roster.
6. Make every position on every team you wrote down 79OVR or lower (not too low, you don't want a lot of these guys to get cut probably if you're using this for 2013 and later). Since you'll have to increase it back for later draft classes, I suggest only reducing one stat. If they're 85 or lower, making awareness 0 should do it, for guys higher than that you may have to knock agility or strength or something down too.
7. Rinse and repeat until no one leaves early, or only a couple guys that are kickers or another position you don't care about.
8. Keep whatever it was that you wrote the guys who's ratings you slashed, so for next year you know who's ratings to return.

Without doing this, you'll end up with a TON of guys who aren't very good in college taking up space in your precious 256 spots in Madden draft class. Why NCAA doesn't make a 'Madden mode' where the top guys at each position leave early instead of randomly picking anyone over 80 overall is beyond me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters »