Home

Edits to fix up this game

This is a discussion on Edits to fix up this game within the Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #49
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67
Re: Edits to fix up this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Good work everyone on the edits! I was messing around with DE pressure last night. Gotmadskillzson mentioned in the ncaa forum that in order to get rid of the patty cake animation between the DE and the T/TE in that game, to lower the T/TE Pass Block Strength down to 20 and to make sure that the DE Power Move rating was set higher for the better players accordingly.

This coupled with the edits to interior OL and DL, gave me a fierce pass rush from the DE's. Basically, every play they made contact with the OT, got by with a move, and were in my face. 1, 2, 3, hit the QB. I tested this in practice mode with the Bears controlling their O vs the CPU Bears D.

Considering both Peppers and Izzy were killing Cutler almost every play, I figured I should raise the Pass Block Strength. I did it in increments and even up to 50, the DE was still killing them. I also had my pass block slider at 50 and cpu pass rush at 100 to start. I then lowered in increments until it was an even 50/50 on both sides. Still seemed the DE's were killing them every play. This was just with a Cover 1 or 2 D and just front 4 pass rush.

I am wondering if any DE with a higher Power Mover rating then an OT Pass Block Strength rating will automatically win the matchup and vice versa.

I guess trying to find a happy medium where the DE doesn't always win, would be good. The Bears OT's aren't that great, but I don't like Izzy always killing Carimi. Peppers killing Webb, yes, that is good. lol. Basically, you have to keep a back or TE in all the time to block someone dominant so that he could help. Since Madden doesn't have double team pass blocking, it isn't fully real, but the second guy hangs around and jumps in to block if the first guy fails. They really need double team pass blocking next year, as well as fixing the whole O/D line dynamic for next year!
Let me know if you find anything in regards to ol/dl interaction that you think I should take a look at
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
I made a lot of adjustments discussed in this thread and wanted to report some of my findings.

First and foremost, disclaimers: I tested on 12 min. Qtrs, Play Now games, with slider alterations that differ a bit from what RAZR originally posted (I tried them but the game wasn't playing competitively at all). I played 3 games (Patriots-Chargers, Patriots-Jets, Patriots-Steelers); I know this is a small sample size, but I have been testing extensively and feel as though I have developed a good feel for the rhythm of the game and how different slider and ratings changes affect the gameplay.

With that being said, here is my initial thoughts:
  • Interior Lineman with Pass Blk Strength and Footwork at 99 is too high.
In passing situations, I would see far too often the "throw down" animation from the Guards/Center against elite level DT's (Wilfork). Also, even when the Center or Guard is clearly beat leverage wise, the DT just won't disengage and is almost 'stuck' to the blocker. Going to try reducing Pass Blk Strength and Footwork to 90 and test.
  • Decreasing Hit Power by 20 for every player removes most big hit animations.
I saw almost no major hits that I can remember...except one Ryan Clark (safety) made on a WR crossing route, and I was pleased to see that. I may up it by 10 to see the effect.
  • Reducing LB Jumping by 20 eliminates Super LBs and opens up the middle of the field.
Loving this. LB coverage is so much more realistic. They still defend passes, but it looks far more realistic IMO.
  • With Pass Rush at 100, CPU Pass Blk at 0, I was able to get a decent rush off the edge.
Finally able to get a consistent Pass Rush off the edge with OLB's and 4-3 DE's.
  • Reducing Defensive Lineman's Jumping by 20 significantly reduces batted passes.
I felt like I was seeing too many on default. Not sure I saw any in the 3 games I played. May have to tweak up 10.
Other notes:
- I put USER and CPU Run Blking at 60
-USER and CPU Run D Reaction at 50
-USER and CPU Tackling at 0
-USER and CPU Broken Tackles at 50
-I have spread out the ratings for every player on the teams I play with; therefore, there is a greater difference between elite players and average players. I think it's very noticeable when you see excellent Pass Rushers against average OT's.
Sounds good -Let me know if you end up making a different scale for pass blocking - We tried boosting by 15 but that didn't get the desired results - 20 or 25 for most lineman is in the 90s so I decided to stick with it maxxed -
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy53
Ok, Maybe this is dumb but will this work for CPu vs CPU?
Yes

Also in general let me know what you find with the way the tiering system works - That will help me out when I do it to other teams - Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #50
MVP

Icy4me's Arena

OVR: 15

I have edited some teams and I did some of my own testing with ratings. I changed all RB's agility -10, catching -5, and I lowered the TE's speed by -10.
The cuts look nicer with lowering the agility and most TEs aren't that fast in the NFL, besides V.Davis, R.Grownski etc.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #51
MVP

Icy4me's Arena

OVR: 15

Razrr, would making C.Johnson and A.Johnson's awr 90+, be a good idea since the ball gets thrown to them 70% of the time?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Bfindeisen, I agree with your findings 100%. I think that the 99s for all G/G does create too many throw-down animations. This must come from the pass block strength attribute being too high.

After examining rosters in some detail, I find that generally speaking, the default ratings have most OL with very low pass block footwork. Pass block strength is rarely the major issue. With pass block footwork in the 60s for so many players, it's no wonder they get whipped by pass rushers. If there's one rating that has to come up globally, it's pass block footwork.

The trouble here is that it's a rabbit's hole--once you start messing with some ratings you want to mess with others and then you wind up doing them all, lol.

I'll chime in on something I've noticed: when lowering the play recognition ratings for DBs, you will see more blown coverages. For example, I've seen safeties with a deep quarter assignment lock onto an intermediate dig and let something slip behind them on more than one occasion.

I think it's cool to see those breakdowns, since they happen in real life, but we'll want to make sure we can tell what level of PRC is likely to cause regular snafus.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #53
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy4me
Razrr, would making C.Johnson and A.Johnson's awr 90+, be a good idea since the ball gets thrown to them 70% of the time?
Not a good idea as the scale for dbs and wide receivers has to be the same to prevent them getting beat all the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Bfindeisen, I agree with your findings 100%. I think that the 99s for all G/G does create too many throw-down animations. This must come from the pass block strength attribute being too high.

After examining rosters in some detail, I find that generally speaking, the default ratings have most OL with very low pass block footwork. Pass block strength is rarely the major issue. With pass block footwork in the 60s for so many players, it's no wonder they get whipped by pass rushers. If there's one rating that has to come up globally, it's pass block footwork.

The trouble here is that it's a rabbit's hole--once you start messing with some ratings you want to mess with others and then you wind up doing them all, lol.

I'll chime in on something I've noticed: when lowering the play recognition ratings for DBs, you will see more blown coverages. For example, I've seen safeties with a deep quarter assignment lock onto an intermediate dig and let something slip behind them on more than one occasion.

I think it's cool to see those breakdowns, since they happen in real life, but we'll want to make sure we can tell what level of PRC is likely to cause regular snafus.
It probably comes with strength - We might be able to lower it a bit but I don't really think we can tier players by more than a few points - I'll toy around with this sunday

Weird - I haven't seen that any more than I did before edits - I think the lower tiered receiver awareness compensates pretty well
Old 01-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 2

WOW this is ALL Great.. I am making an 32 team Greats 85 Bears 66 packers and so on.. Im just glad the only team I have done so far is the 85 Bears.. Im not changing a thing until you all decide what changes to make after all this testing.. But right now its Great Reading!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275
Weird - I haven't seen that any more than I did before edits - I think the lower tiered receiver awareness compensates pretty well
I don't think it's an issue of relative awareness/recognition; it's that play recognition for defensive backs registers as blown assignments once it dips below a certain level. I don't think that's bad. I just noticed it as the play tests added up. I'm sensing that PRC in the 50s will lead to a decent amount of these.

Here's something I want to look further at: Throw Power. A lot of the passes defensed by DBs seem to come as a result of the ball just taking a really long time to get there. I wonder what difference it makes to look at that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 4

I would like to thank all the testers in this thread. Great finds and thanx for sharing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Rosters »