Home

CowherPowers adjusted awr sliders.

This is a discussion on CowherPowers adjusted awr sliders. within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2007, 01:47 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: CowherPowers adjusted awr sliders.

Any advice on User thrown INTs? I threw 8 ints with J. Campbell in 3.5 quarters

BTW, you could be right about the knockdown slider, and I will try it at 90, but justf or clarification, in my many games of testing I have found the Knockdown slider to affect whether the defense will go for the ball or not, rather than whether the defense will swat or pick. Thus, raising Knockdowns would make the CPU go for the ball more, and thus result in more picks.

By "go for the ball" I mean try to make a play on it.

Last edited by ninjamonkey; 12-18-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2007, 02:47 AM   #26
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamonkey
Any advice on User thrown INTs? I threw 8 ints with J. Campbell in 3.5 quarters
Holy cow.....The best advice I could give you,is to get on that practice field.

All kidding aside though.....did you happen to replay any of those pics? If you did you MIGHT have been able to pinpoint the problem.
I'm not sure of Campbell's ratings,but I would tend to think (at least it sounds like) it's just a simple mis-read problem,and also trying to "force" the ball.
Also..... what I usually do,is set up the pass with the run...with Portis and Betts,that shouldn't be to much of a problem. Then when you feel you have established the run,start throwing in some pa passes....possibly even mixed with roll outs to give you sufficient time.

Also....don't be afraid to dump the ball off in the flats to a rb.....alot of times you can really catch the defense napping with just a simple flair to the rb in the flat. If you feel that you are going to get sacked....don't force the pass...if need be,and by all means,throw it away...it's better to throw it away than to take a sack or worse....an int.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamonkey
BTW, you could be right about the knockdown slider, and I will try it at 90, but justf or clarification, in my many games of testing I have found the Knockdown slider to affect whether the defense will go for the ball or not, rather than whether the defense will swat or pick. Thus, raising Knockdowns would make the CPU go for the ball more, and thus result in more picks.

By "go for the ball" I mean try to make a play on it.
In theory....the knockdown slider SHOULD see the player going for the ball...to knock it down LOL. I do want my defense to make an attempt...I just feel (imo) that with it being set so low in some cases,an attempt won't even be made to knock it down,and simply go for the pic.

I may be way off on that,but like I was saying earlier,my defense definitely has more knockdowns than int's through the pre-season.

HOLD ON!!!!!!!! Something else just popped into my head....I wonder if the knockdown slider isn't percentage based??
In other words......if I have it set at 90...could this mean that my defense will attempt a knockdown 90% of the time?
If it's set lower....say 10-15,they'll only go for the knockdown 10-15% of the time? Which MAY result in more of the cpu throwing int's,as my defense won't actually go for the knockdown.

I know this may be reaching....but it's just a thought
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 12-18-2007, 03:38 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 9

So CowherPowers,
will you continue your test and we'll wait 'till you'll have a new set of slider ready?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #28
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Hey Ninjamonkey,the best thing I can tell you about throwing picks is to recognize the defense.Each defense has a specific weakness,man defense can be attacked with crossing routes,cover 3 can be attacked in the middle of the field and cover 2 on the sidelines between the cb an safety.Also check for blitzes more often than not if they blitz,someone is wide open.The key to doing this is watching the safeties.It takes a little getting used to but its worth it in the long run.My best advice would be to go on the practice field with each of the 5 main defenses(cover 1,2,3,4 and man) and just watch what the safeties and corners do just after you snap the ball.This will give you an idea of what the defense is doing when you play in games and you can attack accordingly.I hope this helped
Old 12-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #29
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4

Testing the knockdown slider in my NCAA 08 Air Force dynasty (different game, I know, but since they have the same sliders, I assume they have similar effects), at 90 I did actually see AF CBs and LBs make plays on the ball, knocking it down, etc. sort of like I would expect in real life. On the other hand, I also saw 4 interceptions in 29 attemtps by Army against me; they were not "cheap" interceptions, per se, but my backs were making near perfect, very aggressive plays on any pass near them. I then finished the game (1.5 quatrters) with knockdowns back at 60, and Army threw 10 more times and was not picked off once.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

So, the Knockdown slider probably does one of four things:

1. Generally increases the defenders' aggressiveness towards covering the pass--which would lead to more INTs.

2. Increases the defenders' frequency of knocking down passes--which may make it easier for the defense to intercept the tipped passes--leading to more INTs.

3. Increases the defenders' frequency of knocking down passes and decreases the frequency of defenders' going for INTs--which would lead to fewer INTs.

4. Doesn't appreciably change anything about how defenders' react to a pass.

In my experience, I have seen evidence of 1, 2, and 4. I'm not sure why, but I tend to see INTs go down when I lower the knockdown slider.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #31
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan
Testing the knockdown slider in my NCAA 08 Air Force dynasty (different game, I know, but since they have the same sliders, I assume they have similar effects), at 90 I did actually see AF CBs and LBs make plays on the ball, knocking it down, etc. sort of like I would expect in real life. On the other hand, I also saw 4 interceptions in 29 attemtps by Army against me; they were not "cheap" interceptions, per se, but my backs were making near perfect, very aggressive plays on any pass near them. I then finished the game (1.5 quatrters) with knockdowns back at 60, and Army threw 10 more times and was not picked off once.
.....Interesting. I might give this a go.
It sounds like you saw the same thing's I did (regarding the int's).
Not one of them looked cheap or out of sorts...and actually looked realistic in the way they happened.
I appreciate the input,and will definitely give that a go. I don't think I will go below default (50) though,as I don't want to see my defense just "watch" the ball go by.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #32
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer348
So, the Knockdown slider probably does one of four things:

1. Generally increases the defenders' aggressiveness towards covering the pass--which would lead to more INTs.

2. Increases the defenders' frequency of knocking down passes--which may make it easier for the defense to intercept the tipped passes--leading to more INTs.

3. Increases the defenders' frequency of knocking down passes and decreases the frequency of defenders' going for INTs--which would lead to fewer INTs.

4. Doesn't appreciably change anything about how defenders' react to a pass.

In my experience, I have seen evidence of 1, 2, and 4. I'm not sure why, but I tend to see INTs go down when I lower the knockdown slider.
I can honestly say I've witnessed 2,3 and 4.
The reason why I couldn't say #1 as well.....was based on the final pre-season numbers for the cpu qb's.....

Here's the combined numbers for the starting qb's during pre-season
34-59 for 287 yards 3td's and 3int's...1 by Campbell,Mcnabb and Testaverde.
Also ....here's the combined #'s for the back-ups
23-39 for 194 yards....2td's and 2pics....the 2 pic's were all David Carr's during the last game in pre-season against Carolina.

I'm still going to explore the possibility of lowering the knockdown slider,but I don't think It's going much lower than default (50). As I still want to make sure my defense at least makes an attempt on the ball.

I do like your list of 4 things though.....now all that needs to be done is find out WHICH one it is,as well as find the "happy medium" lol
Quote:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »