Home

Old 08-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #17
Rookie

amboyboy's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Game Speed

Is anyone playing ncaa at the same time as madden? with the speed of that game, it's tough to play madden at slow for me. I've been doing normal...
Old 08-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

It's early yet, but I'm REALLY starting to like "slow" game speed coupled with a threshold slider of 100. This speeds up the slower players to close the gap. It doesn't make everyone equal - there's still a noticeable difference. It's just that the difference in speed is more like tenths of a second than half seconds.

It makes a big difference in a lot of ways - cuts down on big plays due to players getting outrun, makes pull blocking guards get to their blocks faster, and gets blitzers closer to the QB (as long as they don't get blocked. It doesn't fix the pressure/sack problem by itself, but could help along with some slider tweaks.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #19
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

playmakers please drop your slider set!

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 08-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #20
Rookie

Darkeus's Arena

OVR: 5

I just got it and I Playing on normal speed.. I haven't gotten Madden in almost four or five years (I think the last time I had Madden was 05.. I had 2k5 too). I think normal is good but I will play with the settings.. I just need a good difficulty and sliders.. I am so used to NCAA that I don't know how to translate it over to Madden..

The Scarlet and Grey, best team in the land!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #21
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
It's early yet, but I'm REALLY starting to like "slow" game speed coupled with a threshold slider of 100. This speeds up the slower players to close the gap. It doesn't make everyone equal - there's still a noticeable difference. It's just that the difference in speed is more like tenths of a second than half seconds.

It makes a big difference in a lot of ways - cuts down on big plays due to players getting outrun, makes pull blocking guards get to their blocks faster, and gets blitzers closer to the QB (as long as they don't get blocked. It doesn't fix the pressure/sack problem by itself, but could help along with some slider tweaks.
bcruise, whats up man

slow speed is good but super slow is better, well, in my opinion at least.

I have speed threshhold at 25 with super slow game speed and I'm loving it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

i've been playing on normal, with the threshold at zero, but to be honest, i'm not sure what that means.. i enjoy the game, but only have it set their from what i've read..

if someone can explain this in further detail, i'd really appreciate it

biggest franchise flaw so far, where late round rookies, rated 80-82 are free agents, and at the top of their position..

possible flaw, transferring the ball gets the computer angle screwed up..

Big thanks to Ian and crew for a truly great football experience
Old 08-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #23
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil jon
i've been playing on normal, with the threshold at zero, but to be honest, i'm not sure what that means.. i enjoy the game, but only have it set their from what i've read..

if someone can explain this in further detail, i'd really appreciate it
the slider is perfectly described in the game options section

it is REAL time, IN GAME speed and it either lessens or greatens the the difference you will feel between a slow player and a fast player

For those who have had the game a week it is thought that the lower the setting the better the results.

I agree

I dropped it to 30 then 25, and I'm currently at 20

However, there are guys who swear b y it at zero.

Try slow or super slow speed with a low setting and see what you think
Old 08-15-2009, 03:06 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Here's some more thoughts on Game speed/threshold that I posted in the main forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
It definitely works, and there's a very easy (well....kinda easy) way to see it.

Go into Offense Only practice mode and re-spot the ball back by your own goal line. Then, using the depth chart, place your fastest WR right alongside the slowest guy you're able to pick on the depth chart (in the 3rd WR slot). Then choose any 3 WR pass play and hot route both guys to run streaks. Let the play run long enough for them to cover a good distance and then step out back of the endzone, throw the ball away, whatever.

After the play is over, go into the replay and observe the speed difference between the two players - it should be easy since they're next to each other. Now before the players snap back to the formation to run the play again, go into the option screen and zero the threshold slider. Hot route and repeat the play. For me, I had Hester against a 70-ish SPD TE and he was literally 10-15 yards behind him after about 40 yards after making that adjustment.

Now, raise it to 100 and repeat. You should see quite a difference - the faster guy will still be faster, but he might only be a few steps ahead of the slow guy. I beleive this represents the speed of the NFL much better - all WR's run as fast as a WR should, even on the slow game speed setting. There's still a difference, but it's more of a tenth of a second difference than number of yards difference.

In case you haven't realized yet, I was EXTREMELY pleased the first time I tried this and saw for myself how the slider works. I think a setting of 100 on the slow setting lends itself to sim football better for a number of reasons:

- Pulling guards pull quicker, leading to potentially better outside blocking
- Man coverage gets burnt WAY less often, resulting in first downs and longer drives instead of quick TD's
- Free blitzers reach the QB quicker (unfortunately there aren't many free blitzers that stay free for long - this doesn't really fix the sack problem)

There is a thread going on about this in the slider forum, but I figured this was the best place to post the test I did.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »