Home

Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work

This is a discussion on Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #65
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
The CPU running needs some help with these... assuming the Parker 11/23, Avg 2.0 ypc is by CPU.
That's not an issue...I'll just use his sliders, and use my running sliders. I haven't had any issues with the CPU running against me. So far every back has averaged at least 4.0 ypc on my Eagles D in franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 3

Just got done with a game using these sliders, with a few very minor tweaks. I gotta say, for just slinging them together at work, Bill, you came up with a pretty good starting point. Cant wait to see what you come up with in a couple days (hopefully sooner)

I played as the falcons against the bengals. I won 38-28 but it wasnt as close as it seems. I didnt note all of the stats but Palmer started off very slow but ended up with 350ish yard, 3 tds, and 2 ints, while Matt ryan had 260 yards with 1 td and 1 int.

Turner ran for about 24 attempts for 160 yards but 55 of them came for a long run in the fourt quarter. The bengals had signed Edgerin James (2nd year of my chise) and he only ran for around 40 yards, which i would say is pretty realistic.

Only thing that concerned me was that i didnt have any sacks and the bengals line isnt supposed to be all that great. Palmer would get rid of it right before my guys would get to him, which is getting to be the norm no matter what sliders i use.

But all in all, great starting point and i enjoyed playing the game.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #67
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

just got done playing another game with these sliders and had another great game...im enjoying these sliders a lot!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan1984
just got done playing another game with these sliders and had another great game...im enjoying these sliders a lot!
did anyone use versus's sliders those are the best there is a thread for it and check his you tube vids out great stuff

http://www.youtube.com/user/versuz2#.../7/CRV4G4gEmi4
Old 08-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #69
Banned

OVR: 14

Bill,
I haven't had as chance to try your sliders yet, but assuming this test/thread continues to grow, you will probably want to edit your first post to always show updated sliders. This makes it much easier for everyone to follow and try your settings ... especially anyone joing in late.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #70
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

glad you guys are enjoying them, but i'd hardly call them "my sliders"... my sliders havent really been created yet, that was as was mentioned by justin something I just threw together in a couple minutes at work without actually ever playing with any sliders close to this

still testing, noticed a few interesting things... first of all, as I mentioned before, WR catching ability plays a big part in the defensive back "knowing your route"... the lower the catching the more of a jump the DB gets and vice versa (easily tested in practice mode if you want to varify... just set WR catching at 0 and run the same play a bunch of times with the cpu in man (I usually go with a square route towards the middle, easy to see the jump the db gets), note, with 50 reaction time how early the db is usually jumping on the route... now give the WR 100 catching and do the same thing a bunch more times... now note that the jump the db is getting is quite a bit less

what is interesting though is that Pass Block also effects the jump the db gets... it is far less noticable, but it is there... put your receiver at 0 catching this time (because thats what it was at when i was testing) and your Pass Block at 100 and run the same square route to the middle. Note the CB usually does that unrealistic turning of the hips and changing direction without actually planting (they kind of just float and spin) right around the time the receiver has his foot planted to make the cut (if only the cb's used momentum more often like the receivers)... now put your Pass Block at 0 and do the same thing... this time the unrealistic floaty turning thing happens when the WR is taking his small steps before he plants his foot to cut... run it a bunch of times both ways (because obviously the same thing doesnt happen every single time, but more often than not this is the case)

its not a huge thing, but it seems like higher Pass Block create a kind of "stickiness" that prevents that slighly bigger seperation more of the time... kind of like a suction coverage version of the suction block (which unlike the suction block isnt bad, because it means the DB isnt getting as big a jump on the route)

its definately interesting stuff to say the least, not game changing and shouldnt effect sliders really, i just thought it was strage that as Pass Block went up, the DB didnt turn/cut off the route quite as quickly
Old 08-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #71
Banned

bill2451's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
Bill,
I haven't had as chance to try your sliders yet, but assuming this test/thread continues to grow, you will probably want to edit your first post to always show updated sliders. This makes it much easier for everyone to follow and try your settings ... especially anyone joing in late.
yeah, ill do that... not with this set though, as its not really a set imo

i just wanted someone to test the general theory out and see how the line/coverage interactions were... the sliders themselves are about as far from refined as they can get considering i put them together in 2 minutes using quick estimations and have never even played with them lol

but its a good idea and def something I will do when i actually work on a real set
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #72
Banned

bill2451's Arena

I must say though, the initial reaction from you guys is great to hear... i really wasnt sure what to expect

gives me confidence i didnt just make all this up and was somehow completely off base in figuring out how the sliders actually work

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »