Home

Best threshold?

This is a discussion on Best threshold? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Most realistic threshold?
0 17 20.73%
5 0 0%
10 0 0%
15 0 0%
20 2 2.44%
25 4 4.88%
30 3 3.66%
35 7 8.54%
40 5 6.10%
45 2 2.44%
50 13 15.85%
55 6 7.32%
60 4 4.88%
65 3 3.66%
70 5 6.10%
75 7 8.54%
80 1 1.22%
Over 80 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #25
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Best threshold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj32279
Really? What proof do you have of that? Wouldn't they just be considered slow because of their rating? You're telling me that a 0 Threshold slows down a player with a 90 speed against Moss with a 97 speed. That's why that player cannot catch Moss? Not because he's just too slow to catch him?

Also, you're saying that a CB with 90 speed should run at the same rate as a CB with 80 speed? Because that's what happens progressively as you increase the threshold.
you clearly arent getting what i'm saying

the player can NEVER catch Moss if they just ran, because Moss is faster

however, at 0 threshold he will be even further behind than he should be, while at 100 he will be closer (but still behind) than he should be

he will never be faster than moss, at 100 he may appear just as fast, and at 0 he will appear extra slow

however they are both extremes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 1

I was hoping you'd go that route.

Why should he be a constant length behind Moss? He won't catch him, but if he is 2 yards behind him, should he always be 2 yards behind him?

Not for a second.

Moss has a speed of 97, Joseph a 95. Moss is faster so Joseph should be further behind the longer he is chasing him...by 2 speed ratings. It is unrealistic to believe that someone slower than Moss can keep up with him the whole way. He just isn't as quick so there's no reason to believe that the gap won't widen as time goes.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #27
Banned

bill2451's Arena

oh my god you seriously dont understand what i'm saying

OF COURSE HE WONT STAY A CONSTANT LENGTH BEHIND HIM, THAT WOULD IMPLY HE IS THE SAME SPEED AND JUST STARTED AFTER HIM

he will be slower, which means he will slowly get further and further away the further they run... HOWEVER at 0 threshold he gets further and further away at an unrealisticly fast rate and at 100 threshold he will still get further and further away, but at a very unrealistically slow rate (so much so that at times it may appear they're going the same speed, but let them run long enough and you'll notice the faster guy slowly pulling ahead... like watching grass grow, you cant tell while watching, but come back in a week and it'll be longer lol)
Old 08-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #28
Rookie

That was a bad example because Moss is faster. Sorry. Take a look at the same players, different perspective:

Hall is at 85 and Joseph at 95. When chasing Moss, should Hall and Joseph be right next to each other, Hall be ahead, or Joseph be ahead?

Joseph should be, yet, every time I ran a play with 0% Threshold, Joseph was much faster than Hall. As I increased it, Joseph and Hall were closer and closer. Still trailing Moss, but Joseph should be at least 5 yards ahead of Hall by the time Moss reaches the endzone.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #29
Banned

bill2451's Arena

obviously Joseph should (and always would be) ahead of Hall... how far ahead though is the question

at 100 threshold he wont be far enough ahead to make it realistic... but at 0 threshold he will be too far ahead

which maybe that is how you like the game to play, that is fine... but just because you like it that way does not make it the most "realistic"
Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #30
Rookie

You're close. At 100% Joseph and Hall were right next to each other. Way too close. At 0% Joseph was ahead, but maybe by 6 or 7 yards, which with a speed rating 10 points higher, that's being generous. There's nothing unrealistic about Joseph being 10 yards MAX ahead of someone who is 10 points lower in the speed category.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #31
Rookie

I'd bet money that 0% is more realistic than any other setting for Threshold. If you can prove me wrong, then please do it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #32
Banned

bill2451's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj32279
You're close. At 100% Joseph and Hall were right next to each other. Way too close. At 0% Joseph was ahead, but maybe by 6 or 7 yards, which with a speed rating 10 points higher, that's being generous. There's nothing unrealistic about Joseph being 10 yards MAX ahead of someone who is 10 points lower in the speed category.
how do you know?

what tests have you ran to know if that is a realistic distance to be ahead?

I'll tell you that I took 50 player samples of 40 times from different positions and then took the average speed rating for that position in Madden, and went into practice and timed them running 40 yards...

that way i wasnt just comparing 2 players 40 times to madden, because that assumes the ratings are fair... by using a large sample and taking the average, you are reducing the error you'll get from the madden raters

anyway, I compared the average 40 for a WR (something like 4.53 off the top of my head) by using the average speed in madden for a WR (like 87 I think it was) to Devin Hesters 40 time (because he is the highest rated speed guy in the game at 99) and then to a bunch of other positions where I did the same thing (HB, OL, etc) and found that on slow (the game speed i ran all my tests on) that at 55 threshold all players ran about 23% slower than they did in real life... at 0 threshold the faster players ran 20% slower than their real life counterparts whereas slower guys ran about 28% slower then their real life counterparts (this means a larger gap in speed compared to real life)... whereas at 100 threshold really slow guys ran about 22% slower than real life while fast guys ran about 26% slower than their real life speed (meaning the speed difference wasnt as great)

so at 0, the slower you are the slower compared to real life you ran (speeds were "stretched out" unrealstically) while at 100 it is the opposite (speed differences are pushed together unrealistically close)

at 50-60 threshold though (55, but ill give a slight variance for hand timing error), players all ran basically proportionally slower at every rating

Last edited by bill2451; 08-27-2009 at 04:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »