Home

St. Francisco's All-Time QB Coach Mode Sliders

This is a discussion on St. Francisco's All-Time QB Coach Mode Sliders within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #17
Rookie

St. Francisco's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: St. Francisco's All-Time QB Coach Mode Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkontheOS
good work.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #18
Rookie

St. Francisco's Arena

Man, time really flew by tonight, and I've gotta get to bed. I've finished typing up some of the results of the test, so tomorrow I'm gonna finish them, analyze them, and then post them.

I go on days off Wednesday night for six days...so for the final four days of this week, I should be able to get in some hardcore testing.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:32 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Francisco
Man, time really flew by tonight, and I've gotta get to bed. I've finished typing up some of the results of the test, so tomorrow I'm gonna finish them, analyze them, and then post them.

I go on days off Wednesday night for six days...so for the final four days of this week, I should be able to get in some hardcore testing.
It is gonna be a pain to test defensive sliders.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
Rookie

St. Francisco's Arena

Quote:
It is gonna be a pain to test defensive sliders.
No doubt...I'm not even sure what I'm gonna be looking for.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #21
Rookie

St. Francisco's Arena

Ok, so some things were brought to my attention yesterday, and some things came to me while I lay pondering in bed.

1. Big thanks to angels28 at OS for doing a quick test on priority sliders...but it comes with bad news. Adjusting a QB's priority from pocket to scrambler does not effect the number of rushing or passing attempts he will make in any given year. So, no need to mess with those. Still, we need to know if the 0-100 priority sliders effect anything. So, that's a test for later.

2. I'm an idiot. angels28 brought something to my attention that I never even considered...when he ran his tests, he turned injuries off to eliminate any irregularities in his results. Why in the world didn't I think of that?! As such, I've decided to scrap the test work I did last night and start again.

3. You can only adjust pass/run and RB1/RB2 by 10% each time...so there's no need to directly compare them to real life NFL stats, because we can't get them to match up. Instead, I should be focused on what the averages will be at each setting. So, that's what I'm gonna do.

Now we're still looking for the same results, but we're gonna eliminate just a few of the areas because I have deemed them unnecessary since I don't plan on setting any team at those ratios. Therefore, I don't care about those results. So, here's what we're looking for:

30/70 pass/run - A run-heavy offensive attack where we will consistently see the running plays average between 55-60%.

40/60 pass/run - A balanced offensive attack where we will consistently see the running plays average between 50-55%.

50/50 pass/run - A balanced offensive attack where we will consistently see the passing plays average between 50-55%.

60/40 pass/run - A pass-heavy offensive attack where we will consistently see the passing plays average between 55-60%.

And these for RB sliders:

90/10 RB1/RB2 - 60-70% of carries go to starter.

80/20 RB1/RB2 - 55-65% of carries go to starter.

70/30 RB1/RB2 - 50-60% of carries go to starter.

60/40 RB1/RB2 - 45-55% of carries go to starter.

We've got four different areas in both categories, so I'm going to set up eight teams to test each area.

Hopefully, I'll be able to post results tonight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Francisco

1. Big thanks to angels28 at OS for doing a quick test on priority sliders...but it comes with bad news. Adjusting a QB's priority from pocket to scrambler does not effect the number of rushing or passing attempts he will make in any given year. So, no need to mess with those. Still, we need to know if the 0-100 priority sliders effect anything. So, that's a test for later.
It might effect who teams go after in the draft or free agents. This has been my theory forever, but have not tested it.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #23
Rookie

St. Francisco's Arena

Quote:
It might effect who teams go after in the draft or free agents. This has been my theory forever, but have not tested it.
Yeah, that's always been my theory too, but I want to make sure they don't effect stats in any way.

I've heard pretty decent things from people concerning the draft logic, so I don't think I'm gonna mess with priority sliders if that's all they do.

Ok, I'm officially off duty now for the next six days...so prepare for some hardcore testing.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #24
Rookie

St. Francisco's Arena

Ok, it's results time! I just went alphabetically through the teams, and assigned ratios.

The first set of eight teams had a pass/run ratio of 30/70, and a RB1/RB2 setting of 90/10. We're looking for their running plays to be between 55-60%, and for their starting runningback to carry the ball 60-70% of the time:

CHICAGO BEARS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 36/64 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 64% of carries to starter

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 37/63 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 67% of carries to starter

BUFFALO BILLS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 37/63 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 69% of carries to starter

DENVER BRONCOS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 36/64 pass/run %

CLEVELAND BROWNS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 33/67 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 66% of carries to starter

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 35/65 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 60% of carries to starter

ARIZONA CARDINALS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 38/62 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 71% of carries to starter

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 35/65 pass/run %

So, we miscalculated on the pass/run ratio...instead of seeing running plays average between 55-60% of the total offensive plays, we saw seven of the eight test teams fall within 60-65%. The only team that didn't fall within that 5% range (Cleveland) was actually higher than that, at 67%. So, it is safe to assume that a 30/70 pass/run setting will get you 60-65% of running plays on offense.

On the RB sliders, I think we can re-define the percentage numbers we're aiming for in this area. Five of the eight teams fell within the range of 65-70%, while two more fell within one percent of that range...so we'll just say that seven of our eight test teams hit a 5% window. Arizona fell below the mark at 60%...but hey, it's a video game, and it's football. We should expect to see the occasional team steer away from the norm.

The second set of eight teams had a pass/run ratio of 40/60, and a RB1/RB2 setting of 80/20. We're looking for their running plays to be between 50-55%, and for their starting runningback to carry the ball 55-65% of the time:

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 45/55 pass/run %

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 45/55 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 65% of carries to starter

DALLAS COWBOYS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 41/59 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 58% of carries to starter

MIAMI DOLPHINS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 44/56 pass/run %

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 45/55% pass/run %

ATLANTA FALCONS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 43/57 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 64% of carries to starter

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 46/54 pass/run %

NEW YORK GIANTS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 41/59 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 61% of carries to starter

Looking over the numbers, it's clear that a setting of 40/60 will give you 55-60% of running plays on offense. Seven of the eight teams fell within that range, with one team falling just one percent out of that range. This is five percent higher than we expected, but it's also in line with our first set of test teams, so that's good.

RB sliders...we saw roughly 65% of the carries go to the starter, which isn't much different than the 90/10 setting. We did however see two teams hit 58%. So, I think we can safely scrap the 90/10 setting, and just stick to trying to achieve somewhere around 65% with the 80/20 setting.

The third set of eight teams had a pass/run ratio of 50/50, and a RB1/RB2 setting of 70/30. We're looking for their passing plays to be between 50-55%, and for their starting runningback to carry the ball 50-60% of the time:

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 55/45 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 50% of carries to starter

NEW YORK JETS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 53/47 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 55% of carries to starter

DETROIT LIONS

Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 56% of carries to starter

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 52/48 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 57% of carries to starter

CAROLINA PANTHERS

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 49/51 pass/run %

OAKLAND RAIDERS

Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 52% of carries to starter

ST. LOUIS RAMS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 54/46 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 59% of carries to starter

Hmm...so, we were right in our predictions that a 50/50 coaching philosophy would result in 50-55% of the offensive plays being pass plays. Unfortunately, this means that we were unable to achieve a set where 50-55% of the offensive plays would be run plays.

As far as the RB sliders go, I think we can agree that most fell around 55% of carries going to the starter, so we'll go with 55-60% of carries for this setting.

The fourth set of eight teams had a pass/run ratio of 60/40, and a RB1/RB2 setting of 60/40. We're looking for their passing plays to be between 55-60%, and for their starting runningback to carry the ball 45-55% of the time:

BALTIMORE RAVENS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 60/40 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 43% of carries to starter

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 60/40 pass/run %

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 59/41 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 55% of carries to starter

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 62/38 pass/run %

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 48% of carries to starter

HOUSTON TEXANS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 60/40 pass/run
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 54% of carries to starter

TENNESSEE TITANS

Pass-to-Run Ratio: 57/43 pass/run %
Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 57% of carries to starter

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Starter-to-Backups Ratio: 54% of carries to starter

I think we can all agree that a setting of 60/40 pass/run will give you a nearly perfect percentage of 60% passing plays almost every time.

On the RB sliders...as with the 90/10 and 80/20 setting, we didn't see much change from the 70/30 and 60/40 setting. This is in line with our previous thoughts. In dual RB systems around the league, we typically saw 40-50% of the carries going to the starter, so we'll need to test the 50/50 setting to see if we can achieve this result.

CONCLUSION

It's relatively easy to adjust the pass/run ratios and hit your target percentage for passing and running plays. RB sliders are also adjustable, but the results fluctuate more than the pass/run results. Still, we can achieve percentages close to what we're looking for most of the time.

FINDINGS

30/70 pass/run % = A run-heavy offense where 60-65% of the offensive plays will be running plays.

40/60 pass/run % = A run-heavy offense where 55-60% of the offensive plays will be running plays.

50/50 pass/run % = A balanced offense where 50-55% of the offensive plays will be passing plays.

60/40 pass/run % = A pass-heavy offense where 55-60% of the offensive plays will be passing plays.

90/10 & 80/20 RB1/RB2 Sliders = Roughly 65% of the carries will go to the starter. You can expect to be on the high side of that number with 90/10, and on the low side of that number with 80/20.

70/30 & 60/40 RB1/RB2 Sliders = Roughly 55% of the carries will go to the starter. You can expect to be on the high side of that number with 70/30, and on the low side of that number with 60/40.

TESTS

1. From our NFL profiles, teams in a dual RB system typically handed the ball off to their starter 40-50% of the time. Can we achieve these numbers with 50/50 and 40/60 RB sliders?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »