Home

Speed Threshold Best Setting?

This is a discussion on Speed Threshold Best Setting? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:11 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Speed Threshold Best Setting?

On 100 Speed, all players don't have the same speed. There is still a difference. Over very short differences it's not so noticable, but it's still there.

Here's some tests I did a while back Threshold Tests

A lot of that thread is relevant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBledsoe
On 100 Speed, all players don't have the same speed. There is still a difference. Over very short differences it's not so noticable, but it's still there.

Here's some tests I did a while back Threshold Tests

A lot of that thread is relevant.
That's not what I'm seeing at all. The only speed difference I'm seeing is a result of acceleration and fatigue. At 100 threshold, nobody outran anybody otherwise. Even for 50+ yard plays, nobody outran anybody. Hell, I had Adrian Peterson and got ran down by linemen... which kinda bothered me because fatigue almost seems to not effect the CPU.

Linemen would catch me when I'd run around the backfield with the QB as well... although I could do it for very long periods of time before it happened. i ran around for almost an entire minute one of those attempts.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #27
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

One thing I am noticing is that the speed threshold doesn't effect separation prior to the ball being thrown on deep balls.

Meaning, I spent a lot of time observing how players reacted when adjusting the threshold and running streak plays. I was unable to get past any DB and in the clear with any receiver, no matter what their speed.

For example, I had Pierson Prioleau at corner (actually a FS w/ 72 speed) covering Randy Moss (97 speed). I ran a fly route with Moss and had Prioleau in man coverage with no safety help. In theory, with no help over the top, Prioleau should not be able to cover Moss at all once Moss gets by him.

Yet, he was with Moss step for step every streak I ran. If I hot routed to a fade, Moss got a little separation, however once the ball was thrown Prioleauu gained ground and was able to tackle Moss as he caught the ball.

Now once I caught the ball, if the tackle was broken, I could hold down the sprint trigger and run away from the entire saints D. I could really notice the speed differneces ONLY WHILE SPRINTING.

Apparently the only time user controlled players run at full speed is with the sprint trigger. Meaning receivers are not running at full speed prior to catching the ball, even on streak patterns, while the CPU controlled players are.

This might be common knowledge, but I am just now realizing it, and why I am unable to burn secondaries even with my fast WR unless it is after the catch.

The end result is that I don't see any reason to use a low speed threshold, since it doesn't really have much effect that I can tell, until you engage the sprint trigger, and even then at 50 and slightly above, I am able to run away from slower defenders.

I haven't analyzed it as much yet while playing defense, but this is what I see on O.

Is it possible that this is somehow realted to being in practice mode??

Last edited by Howie75; 10-06-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 4

so Im lost guys.....what is an excepted number as being the bes or "realistic" setting?

I think some feel 100 has no effect on seperation but does have effect on acceleration

Then some feel less than 50 effects seperation. Im lost

I am looking for the bes realistic number help!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie75
Apparently the only time user controlled players run at full speed is with the sprint trigger. Meaning receivers are not running at full speed prior to catching the ball, even on streak patterns, while the CPU controlled players are.
See, stuff like this gets on my nerves with the game.

Why is it that the AI has to run our players at less than full speed while it runs it's own at full speed.

Gah.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 AM   #30
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

Well, I am hoping that this is somehow related to practice mode.

It also seems to be related only to fly routes and with CB's covering.

If Darren McFadden turned up field, I was able to throw to him wide open, as the LB couldn't make up enough ground to cover him.

I think that's the issue..the CPU player doesn't really make up ground (prior to the ball being thrown.) ...it's just that he can run along with the WR not losing any ground no matter what the speed disparity is.

So you can complete a deep ball, but you won't see a WR get behind the coverage, and haul the pass in without breaking stride and go in for a TD.

I guess it's something we have to accept.

One positive aspect is that it prevents you from burning the CPU repeatedly with the deep ball on fly routes due to mismatches.

Perhaps too it's possible to use another tactic to gain separation. I don't know.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I tried the higher threshold and I don't know if it was in this thread or the other, but yeah, those blitzes are crazy with Slow/60.

Doesn't help that the offensive line refuses to pick up a blitzer. I saw once where my LT just did that "pass block stance" and turned to face the blitzer but no, never lay a hand on him. He was still in his "pass block stance" watching while I was on the ground.

It's too bad because it was a tight defensive game, but I can't deal with seeing that 20-30 times a game.

At least with Slow/35, it seems like the line can pick those guys up.

Even did human pass block at 100 and it made ZERO difference. 0, 100, didn't matter. The human line just doesn't pick up blitzes, imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

I play on Slow speed and have experimented with the threshold at 35, 50, 60 and 75. To me, the game plays much quicker at 35. If I break into the secondary with mike turner (I play as the Falcons) a fast db can run Turner down at 35, but generally will not at 50 or above. Also, at 35, I've had db's run down from behind by a WR after an interception. So, I think the lower threshold reduces big plays, or at least affords the potential to do so. At 75, all players seem to be moving at the same speed, which isn't realistic to me. At 35, you have to be aware of where speed players are on the field, which is the way it should be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »