Home

Fantasy Draft advice

This is a discussion on Fantasy Draft advice within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Fantasy Draft advice

I'm planning on doing a Franchise with a fantasy draft tomorrow and was wanting some input on fantasy draft players. Do you always take the best player available? Or do you draft by need. Also, who do you pick first offensive or defensive? I usually try to get all of my linemen in the first 10 rounds. You can pick up Calvin Johnson in round 3 and Chris Johnson late in the draft. I like to build a good oline because I love to run the ball.

Jon
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Fantasy Draft advice

Chris Johnson is a 96 in the latest update aka 1st round pick late 1st round

Depends on the type of team you'd like to run.

Usually I go CB/LT/DE/DT/DE/HB/WR/QB/WR/TE/LG/RT/RG/C/DT/FS/CB/LB/SS/LB/LB/CB/WR/TE/WR/CB
Or something like that....
Old 11-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I would go after the best player, considering some with age, based on what I wanted to be as a team. What I mean is if I can get a 88 guy who's 26 or a 94 guy who's 32, I will probably pick the 88 guy if he fits what I'm going for.

If I wanted a Saints-like attack, I'd go heavy on the WR in the early rounds (if you wanted mostly good veterans) and a QB in the first round. If you're willing to have a couple not-so-established guys like Harvin or Maclin, you could get 2 WR quick and then hold of and draft some good OL or some defense. Then come back and take some fast rookies to round out the unit.

A possession-type passing attack, you want to emphasize catching and release. You won't need AS much speed (though you still need some so they can get into the pattern faster), since you'll probably be going a lot of 3-7 yd routes that are high percentage and tough to really stop. You don't want your WR to do the defense's work and stop you because of drops.

Don't forget a TE. A good TE is deadly against the CPU teams because they blitz so much. A quick TE can get out there on those short outs and such and get some quick yards and YAC.

If you want a running team, I would either draft a top level HB in the 1st round, or get a 2nd-level guy with potential in the later rounds and focus on a good OL for run blocking. Don't overlook a good fullback. Doesn't matter if you want a blocker or ball-carrier, either has its advantages. Good blocker will make running easier since he'll pick up those run blitzers better, while ball-carriers (like Hillis) often are decent receiver options on checkdowns and can give you diversity in your run attack. If you can get a guy like McClain that can do both, do it (or maybe trade for him after the draft).

If you want a defensive team, get speed, speed, speed. Especially at the LB level and the secondary. Fast CBs are fierce if they are any good at all at coverage, and when they blitz, they are often the free runners so that speed will close on the QB. Fast LBs can handle coverage, get back into zones quicker and are nasty if they can be free runners on the blitz.

On the DL, speed is good all across, but especially at DE. They can help stuff outside runs and let you do the outside rush adjustment so then it's them against a T, while having the speed to turn the corner. Stunts work will with faster DEs than with the Ngata-types. The Ngata-types are good with pinching in and penetrating gaps.

Don't ignore the BSH rating. The higher it is, the better their moves will be and getting off engagement. All the speed in the world won't help if you get swallowed up by the offensive line.

I would get the CBs first on defense. They go FAST a lot of times. If you'd rather focus on the DL, get LEs quickly. There's not many established ones. Personally, I like going with guys like Raji and Peko and one young fast DE. Then you can use your first round pick on a beast DT or DE to anchor (I went with Mario Williams) and then develop some good rookies over the years.

OLBs - I go after Sims or Curry a lot - again, looking for Speed.
MLB/ILBs - I look for speed, but not quite as much. My MLBs are Mayo and Mays I believe his name is.

CBs - D.R. Cromartie is solid. Finnegan usually falls to the second round in case you miss Revis or Asmougha.

S - If you can't get the Reeds, Polamalus of the world, try to get Weddle. A potential and solid now. Kenny Phillips is pretty good too, also A potential.

I think the most important thing is focus when doing the fantasy draft. I focus on one side of the ball and fill that out. I know it will make me weaker on the other side (more excuse to try to take chances on rookies LOL) while having one side to hang my hat on and stay in the game. I prefer defense to offense, and a flowing/ball-attack defense at that, but go with whatever works for your philosophy.

Last edited by KBLover; 11-28-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Probably too late on this, but when I want to do well in a fantasy draft. I take the roster I'm going to use and sim the draft, then write down all the rounds where there is runs on a position. For instance the CPU usually chooses all 93+ the first three rounds then in round 4 it picks DEs.

So, then I make a draft strategy to choose the player that CPU is about to pick one round before it happens.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »