Home

Real NFL stats to check your sliders against

This is a discussion on Real NFL stats to check your sliders against within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Real NFL stats to check your sliders against

I have included some stats about the frequency of certain occurrences in the NFL that can be translated to Madden sliders. The avg frequency is given, along with numbers in parenthesis which are the ranges for the best/worst NFL team in each stat. Stats are from ESPN.com for 2009 NFL season unless noted.

Broken Tackles: Avg once per 17 total plays (11-30)
Stats via http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fo-...broken-tackles
They give broken tackles as a % of total plays; Madden 11 only gives the stat for rushers. But basically, if a team ran 60 plays it should have no more than 3-4 broken tackles, total. That counts WR's that break tackles (you'll have to keep track of this yourself.) Broken tackles in the NFL occur FAR LESS than what I -and everyone else, judging by broken tackle stats I've seen posted on this site- have witnessed in Madden 11. The tackling slider should go up and break tackle slider should go down. This should alleviate some of the big plays, short drives, and high scoring games. I believe EA had a high amount of broken tackles out of the box because its more fun that way and gives the "casual" gamer more control; its more exciting.
**With this being said, I know many people have raised this slider for the CPU hoping to jump-start the CPU running game. My approach will be to bump up their run blocking by a hefty amount only, not bumping up their break tackles.

Passes Defensed: Avg once per 7 Pass Att's (5.5-9.5)
-Int slider should be down, but pass reaction time up. Seems a pass gets batted down more than I thought. I'm going to tune this before I mess with QB accuracy.

Interception: Avg once per 34 Pass Att's (18-68)
This is a tough slider to get down pat, but in general interceptions are not too common and only happen semi-frequently with the bad QB's. This is a slider you need many games to really tweak correctly, but to be safe I'd put it on the low side. Remember, passes are "defensed" once/7 att's but only intercepted once/34. (See above)

Sack: Avg once per 16 Pass Att's (11-30)
-Maybe we are being too nit-picky about the sacks when the comp is about to throw; sacks happen on avg every 16 attempts. That's about 2 sacks per team per regulation game. I believe the key is balancing out the pass rushing/pass blocking sliders to where pressure affects the play and how quick a QB has to let the ball go, but a sack should still be hard to come by and thus, very rewarding.

Tackle For Loss: Avg once per 7 runs
**I only have this stat for the 2009 NY Giants defense. I couldn't find a breakdown of all 32 teams totals so I manually added up all of the Giants tackles for losses (the "stuff" stat on ESPN.com player profiles.) I will compile stats for a few more teams if I cannot find a breakdown of the whole NFL.
But... if the Giants are anywhere near avg against the run (they seemed to be; they were horrid against the pass), then a run should get blown up in the backfield every 6-8 rushes. The block shedding slider can be tuned accordingly.

Last edited by showmedabounce; 08-11-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Real NFL stats to check your sliders against

Nice. Here are some stats for people looking for realistic "Per Game" stats to match their sliders too.

These are based on 2009 stats for 'lowest - highest' in league

*Stats are for a single team per game

GAME

Plays : 55 - 70
Total Yards : 260 - 400
First Downs : 15 -23

PENALTIES

Penalties : 4 - 8
Penalty Yards : 30 - 65

PASSING

Pass Attempts : 24 - 38
Pass Completions : 13 - 25
Yards Per Completion: 8 - 13
Passing Yards : 130 - 290
Completion Percentage : 50% - 70%
Passer Rating : 51 - 105

RUSHING

Runs Per Game : 22 - 38
Yard Per Rush : 3 - 5
Rushing Yards : 80-167

DEFENSE

Sacks Per Game : 1 - 3
Int Thrown: 0.5 - 2
Fumbles : 0.5 - 2

SPECIAL TEAMS

Punts : 3 - 6
Kickoffs : 3 - 6
Touchbacks : 0 - 2
FG Made Percentage : 70% - 93%

Let me know of any others I can add!

Last edited by macaframa3; 08-11-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

thanks show, this is great information to have,ithink with this info and the thread for the realistic gameplans that once we get it right we'll have a great football sim, do you make sliders Showmedabounce?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
Rookie

I think in the NFL they dont count broken arm tackles as a broken tackle. Madden doesnt have their broken tackles set up the same as the NFL. If you juke someone in the NFL its not a broken tackle. In Madden if you juke someone they count it as a broken tackle. So you cant really judge broken tackle stats like this.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Rookie

Juking someone is completely different than juking with a guy grabbing a'hold of you but is unable to pull you down. Most jukes in Madden happen like this, you'll juke, the guy grabs you but isn't able to pull you down so it counts as a broken tackle. If you juke a guy and he never touches it, I'm fairly confident it doesn't count as a broken tackle but the problem is that almost everytime you juke, you juke right before the guy is on you so he gets a bit of your jersey so it may count as a broken tackle, I'm not completely sure. As it is, straight out of the box on all-madden, the cpu breaks way too many tackles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Rookie

Ya the CPU definitely does but the way madden is set up they have a broken tackle animation for a juke. So its something you really cant help. Well I mean by having high broken tackle stats bc of a juke. I dont mind like 1 broken tackle a play. But the CPU gets 3 or 4 alot.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Rookie

lbowbb2's Arena

OVR: 4

I did some major calculations this morning. Some of these came directly from teamrankings.com

QB Completion: 61%
QB Sacked: 6% of pass plays
WR Drops: 5.7%
Broken Tackles: 6%
Fumbles: 6%
Interceptions: 3%
Sacks: 6%
FG Accuracy: 83%
Average FG Length: 36.3 yards
Average Punt Length: 43.4 yards
Touchback: 11.55% of kickoffs
Penalty called on 5% of plays
Injury on 6% of plays
Old 08-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 11

This thread needed to be bumped to first page.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »