Home

Let's talk - Playaction

This is a discussion on Let's talk - Playaction within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #1

ChicagoChris's Arena

OVR: 11
Let's talk - Playaction

Guys..when I first read the reviews of this game, many reviewers mentioned that PA was off...as in doesn't work right. The first thought in my head was that this can be fixed via sliders.

I have tried every slider set on this page and so far it has not helped. It is bad enough that I don't want to run any PA.

I watched enough games this weekend on NFL network to know that when a QB takes the handoff, makes the fake, there should not be 2 DL on his back!!

What do you guys think? I have tried increasing HUM blocking and decreasing CPU pass rush with mixed results.

Thoughts??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Let's talk - Playaction

I agree with everything you are saying. What I try to do is:

1) if 1 or both safeties come up, hot route the running back to block because there is a blitz coming

2) as soon as the qb makes the fake immediately make a throw. This will be based off of how you are reading the coverage. If you wait any longer you will be sacked even against pressure from a 4 man rush

3) wait for a patch....lol (I think they dont have the issue anymore with NCAA)

Im playing default all-pro by the way and as long as I abide by these rules, I am relatively successful with play-action passing
Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 8

Try using the strat pad to force the Oline to either slide, pinch or aggresive move. I ran the same PA pass in practice mode around 250 times in a row, against random D plays. The problem is the engine/design. It treats PA passes as run blocking, in which almost always someone gets beaten of the bat. PA passes are NOT running plays, the blocking technique is entirely different.

Time after time, my RG almost waffed at air, as the DT swam around him, and sacked my QB before the playfake animation had been completed. It's silly.

By having them block aggresively, this was almost entirely eradicated. Pinching the line had the desired effect too, but often left OLBs unblocked.

Do me a favor, and try this in practice mode a good few times, and tell me you see the difference too...
Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Pro

CAG CheechDogg's Arena

OVR: 10

I am having great success with PA by lower the Pass reaction slider down to 5. The RunBlock slider I have it at 60 for human and 75 for cpu which I strongly believe helps tremendously on PA plays.

Now many people might think Pass reaction at 5 is going to make the passing game very easy, but it really doesn't. It just makes the defense play very normal, dbs don't have eyes behind their heads and pick you off with supernatural plays.

Try lowering Pass reaction to 5 on both the cpu and human with the run block any where between 60-75 for both sides.

Gamertag: CAG CheechDogg
Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #5

ChicagoChris's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheechDogg75
I am having great success with PA by lower the Pass reaction slider down to 5. The RunBlock slider I have it at 60 for human and 75 for cpu which I strongly believe helps tremendously on PA plays.

Now many people might think Pass reaction at 5 is going to make the passing game very easy, but it really doesn't. It just makes the defense play very normal, dbs don't have eyes behind their heads and pick you off with supernatural plays.

Try lowering Pass reaction to 5 on both the cpu and human with the run block any where between 60-75 for both sides.
OK. Ill give your sliders a try.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Rookie

Golds's Arena

OVR: 3

I don't really understand why people are so furious with the play action. I played a game last night, 49ers(me) vs Cards(cpu) All pro, default sliders and I didn't get sacked once the entire game. This year is a little different because you can't just run around all over the pocket and launch line drives to WRs. You also can't be stubborn and always keep the play that you started with. It's pretty simple to have PA run smoothly, just play realistic/strategic football:

-Check Linebackers cheating up (blitzing) - if its a strong blitz, then audible out of PA just like qb's do in real life.
-Check Corners - if they are angling in looking to be blitzing, call the TE to block that direction/motion TE to the side.
-Outside blitzes? audible to an inside run, I've caught the def off gaurd with this and you can gain 5-7 yards if not more.
-always have check down passes available, and if they aren't in the original play use your hot routes to create 1 or 2 (that's why the hot route option is there). You never see a PA in real life that doesn't have a check down bail out option.

Same with regular pass plays. If there is a blitz coming and you have a solid pass play to counter it, check all angles of the defense to see where the blitz looks to be coming from. If the RB is going out to the flats or out in front on the play, you may need to call him to stay back and block in whatever direction you see the blitz. Same with the TE and also you can adjust the angle the OL will bock.

This game is actually a pretty accurate d****tion of the NFL...not animation wise maybe in common cases, but you can't just call any play now and expect no realistic decision making required.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 3

Help a newbie--if you "lower" the reaction time setting for the CPU that makes the CPU quicker--I thought higher meant harder for the CPU
Old 08-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Pro

CAG CheechDogg's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billg012260
Help a newbie--if you "lower" the reaction time setting for the CPU that makes the CPU quicker--I thought higher meant harder for the CPU

Incorrect. Take a look where the setting is at on All Madden which is 15. Now go to custom and move the Pass Defense to 15 overall. You will see that the all the sub-sliders, reaction time, ints and pass rush are at 25 by default.

Yes it says moving the slider to the left makes it easier to stop your opponent's passes and right to make it harder to stop your opponent's passes, but if you pay attention, moving the slider to left raises the sub slider's settings instead of lowering them.

Gamertag: CAG CheechDogg

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »