Home

Sliders for kick returning?

This is a discussion on Sliders for kick returning? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Sliders for kick returning?

I hate having a great returner (mariani) but not being able to utilize him (17.5 yards per return) is terrible. Any tips?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Sliders for kick returning?

Overall rating is completely irrelevant for kick returning. The single most important thing for a kick returner is Speed. Really, there's nothing that comes close to it, and if the game tells you a guy with a Speed rating below 90 is a great returner, don't believe that for a second. On the other hand, if you got a player with Speed 97+, you got your return guy. Acceleration is nice to have, Spin Move, too, (Juke won't help you because it slows you down too much) of course he should have enough Carry to not fumble the ball but honestly, I'm using a WR with 98 SPD and only 55 Carry as my return guy in my fantasy franchise and didn't have a single fumble this season, just cover the ball when they get close and you'll be fine.

The trick to returning Kickoffs isn't in the sliders (although a lower Speed Threshold and higher Run Block does help), it's pretty simple actually. You do want to call Return Middle, it's the only play that will let you effectively return kicks (too effectively, honestly... if you call it all the time, with some experience, you'll easily return for 1-3 TDs a game), while I did return a KO for a TD with Return Left, it was in the middle of a blizzard and no less than three opponents slipped right in front of my returner, so not really something you can count on.

So, what you have to watch out for is, which side of the field your opponent kicks to. After you catch it, you head for the other side of the field, at approximately a 45 degree angle. You'll have to practice on that a little, basically, what you're trying to do here is, you want the outermost opponent on the coverage team to get "sucked" into a block with your own outermost blocker on that side, so you have to run at an angle so that he has to run into your blocker, it's not that hard to figure out once you try it a couple times. Afterwards, it's simple, as soon as the outermost guy gets blocked, you cut hard towards the side that should be completely free of opponents now, and run down the sideline. With a speedy returner, no one should be able to catch you.

It won't work always, obviously, if they kick it straight down the middle for example you usually won't get the outermost guy blocked, and sometimes there's a really fast player on the opponents ST that gets off his block quick enough to catch you in midfield, but in general, you will have so many return TDs using this tactic it pretty much feels like cheating (which is why I let Gameflow decide how I return my kicks, you'll get your chance to return one every now and then that way, but it's up to chance).
Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Overall rating is completely irrelevant for kick returning. The single most important thing for a kick returner is Speed. Really, there's nothing that comes close to it, and if the game tells you a guy with a Speed rating below 90 is a great returner, don't believe that for a second. On the other hand, if you got a player with Speed 97+, you got your return guy. Acceleration is nice to have, Spin Move, too, (Juke won't help you because it slows you down too much) of course he should have enough Carry to not fumble the ball but honestly, I'm using a WR with 98 SPD and only 55 Carry as my return guy in my fantasy franchise and didn't have a single fumble this season, just cover the ball when they get close and you'll be fine.

The trick to returning Kickoffs isn't in the sliders (although a lower Speed Threshold and higher Run Block does help), it's pretty simple actually. You do want to call Return Middle, it's the only play that will let you effectively return kicks (too effectively, honestly... if you call it all the time, with some experience, you'll easily return for 1-3 TDs a game), while I did return a KO for a TD with Return Left, it was in the middle of a blizzard and no less than three opponents slipped right in front of my returner, so not really something you can count on.

So, what you have to watch out for is, which side of the field your opponent kicks to. After you catch it, you head for the other side of the field, at approximately a 45 degree angle. You'll have to practice on that a little, basically, what you're trying to do here is, you want the outermost opponent on the coverage team to get "sucked" into a block with your own outermost blocker on that side, so you have to run at an angle so that he has to run into your blocker, it's not that hard to figure out once you try it a couple times. Afterwards, it's simple, as soon as the outermost guy gets blocked, you cut hard towards the side that should be completely free of opponents now, and run down the sideline. With a speedy returner, no one should be able to catch you.

It won't work always, obviously, if they kick it straight down the middle for example you usually won't get the outermost guy blocked, and sometimes there's a really fast player on the opponents ST that gets off his block quick enough to catch you in midfield, but in general, you will have so many return TDs using this tactic it pretty much feels like cheating (which is why I let Gameflow decide how I return my kicks, you'll get your chance to return one every now and then that way, but it's up to chance).
Great description of how to cheat Delta!!! Seriously though you are right. I use middle return and get "realistic" numbers for averages for myself. Usually in the mid twenties....the real problem is the cpu return. I can hit the kick button and go to the bathroom and never worry that he'll get it past the 30. This needs to be fixed. In M10 I thought the cpu returned too many kicks....although I was new to next gen controllers at the time. I've heard some people supersim the kickoffs to get better results for the cpu....I may try that although its so nice to get a bathroom break without pausing the game.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
Great description of how to cheat Delta!!! Seriously though you are right. I use middle return and get "realistic" numbers for averages for myself. Usually in the mid twenties....the real problem is the cpu return. I can hit the kick button and go to the bathroom and never worry that he'll get it past the 30. This needs to be fixed. In M10 I thought the cpu returned too many kicks....although I was new to next gen controllers at the time. I've heard some people supersim the kickoffs to get better results for the cpu....I may try that although its so nice to get a bathroom break without pausing the game.
Yea the CPUs kickreturn is the worst. I've actually seen like 2 since I lowered the USERs blockshed to 0 but its still terrible.. There overrall open field running took a hit since 10 with all the new juke features. It actually be slowing them down on running plays and kick/punt returns.. I liked the CPUs running on 10..

But like I said.. Having the CPUs rush reaction at 100 slows down the easy USER returns.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
MVP

What I've found to get close to realistic results for me is setting Speed Threshold back up to 50 and letting Gameflow select my return play, I have short returns between the 20 and 30 mostly as usual, with the occasional big return, return TDs I've had 3 in the whole season but one of those came in the first game when the Threshold was still at 30 (by now I'm convinced it's best to leave speed threshold alone altogether, lowering it just leads to too many big plays)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

I don't get too many big plays like that and I have the threshold at 0. I believe CPUs pass and rush reaction at high numbers has a big affect on slowing down big plays..
Old 02-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
MVP

Well I'd love to be able to use your pass and rush reaction sliders... but honestly I have to admit I'm not good enough for that. I fear I would get crushed using your sliders... (using a mix of steelcityjames and mjhyankees right now, playing on Gameflow with a custom gameplan)

Although I guess I will give yours a try in the next season, with my fantasy team and a draft under the belt... if I don't manage to handle your sliders with that team, I fear I never will

Last edited by TheDelta; 02-23-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Well I'd love to be able to use your pass and rush reaction sliders... but honestly I have to admit I'm not good enough for that. I fear I would get crushed using your sliders... (using a mix of steelcityjames and mjhyankees right now, playing on Gameflow with a custom gameplan)
You can always adjust certain areas and still keep both reactions up to make it competitive for yourself.. But it would be a little difficult with gameflow..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »