Home

PGaither84's Coach Mode Sliders

This is a discussion on PGaither84's Coach Mode Sliders within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: PGaither84's Coach Mode Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I find slow speed more accurate for NFL speed. The NFL is fast, but Madden on Fast/Very fast has inhuman speed in my opinion. Simple eyes tests like how long it takes to do a 7 step drop on Very fast is like 1 to 2 seconds at most. On Slow it takes the full 3 that it should. A 7 step drop is a long drop in the NFL. On very fast it can be a normal drop back. The average play in the NFL takes 4 to 6 seconds. On very fast it sure looks like it is a lot faster than that for big plays.

I also think the animations play out a lot smoother on slower game speeds. I play with 0 threshold.

I played some preseason and did cut days. I have the Seahawks at home as my season opener. Let's see what happens.

The pass rush takes forever though. Even a good hard rush took over 4 seconds. On Very Fast, the rush gets there in 3-4 seconds, especially if it's working well, which I think is close to the average time in the pocket? (though it's hard for me to find this info. I did find this: http://www.aolnews.com/2009/09/23/wh...ball-too-long/)

Very Fast may do some things too quickly, but I think Slow does some things too slowly. Pass velocity is especially "floaty" looking (and I think that contributed to the picks my team got on Rivers). I think HBs aren't very explosive. Jukes looked more like hopping on one foot then running (might be a bad mo-cap job, probably is, but it looked magnified on Slow, imo). Spins looked better, though.

Big play in less than 4 seconds? I haven't seen that. It would take longer than that for a big run to go off as well as a long pass, at least for me.

Anyway, I saw Suggs missing WAY too many tackles. He missed 5...in a half. He got a sack, but I was able to get him free as a free runner. When engaged, he didn't get too much going, but that might have been the Chargers LT as well. Ngata got a hit on Rivers to force a bad pass. Hixon (that pass rushing LB I mentioned) got some pressure from the other side.

I saw the "break the high TAK player's tackle and get taken down by the medicore TAK CB". On one particular example, Mathews stiff armed Ngata, broke Suggs' tackle, but then got tackled by Jimmy Smith. Not as bad, but Floyd broke Suggs' tackle, Washington's (MLB) tackle and gets dropped by Reed. I know Reed isn't horrible at tackling, but...neither are the two LBs.

Meanwhile, the CPU team missed just a couple tackles on special teams and one on Rice.

Still, the defense was coming up with plays to hold the Chargers down. Called a zone-heavy, conservative defense in coverage or some zone blitzing in most situations. I did use the 3-3-5 (love that formation) and some man coverage blitzes to mix it up a little (had DBs play back, and once that saved the day since the CB was right there to tip the pass).

Other than a few "throw the **** ball already!" moments with Flacco (that feels familiar lol) he was solid and didn't make any turnovers. I'll take that any Sunday.

Was a good game overall, tight and competitive. Won 17-9.

Last edited by KBLover; 02-28-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #26
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
The pass rush takes forever though. Even a good hard rush took over 4 seconds. On Very Fast, the rush gets there in 3-4 seconds, especially if it's working well, which I think is close to the average time in the pocket?
There is no engage player movement in Madden like there is in 2K. Pass rushers are pretty much tuck at the point the animation starts with little exception. Then, when they win the animation they can rush the passer again. With my 100 Pass Rushing, as you saw in the videos, it as too powerful, but they were getting there very quickly. One of the problems was how well Justin Smith beat Carl Nicks and why I will be trying only 95 pass rush later today.

Quote:
Very Fast may do some things too quickly, but I think Slow does some things too slowly. Pass velocity is especially "floaty" looking (and I think that contributed to the picks my team got on Rivers). I think HBs aren't very explosive. Jukes looked more like hopping on one foot then running (might be a bad mo-cap job, probably is, but it looked magnified on Slow, imo). Spins looked better, though.
Pass velocity may feel slow, but even EA admitted back when they were making Madden 10 that the velocity was inhuman. They showed how with Madden 09 Chad Pennington threw passes WAY harder than Favre ever could. They showed us all this math and such and told us they were only able to bring the velocity down a certain %. Something about how slowing the velocity down too much to a realistic speed would break their passing game. At CD for M11 they talked about how they continue to try to slow down the velocity of the ball. I don't know where it is for sure, but it feels a lot better. However, I know what you're talking about and some of he passes are more or less lobs by the QB. Jarodd and I were talking about what he did to help decrease the amount of unnecessary lobs. That is something else I am working on.

Quote:
Big play in less than 4 seconds? I haven't seen that. It would take longer than that for a big run to go off as well as a long pass, at least for me.
I didn't quite say that how I wanted to... the average play in the NFL is 4 to 6 seconds. Big plays like 80 yard TD runs will take longer than that on Very Fast, sure... but normal plays feel like the game is on fast forward. Feel free to play on what ever speed you want. After all the point is just ot find nice sliders... but I tthink the animations play out more fluidly and realistically on slow. Maybe Normal is the best, I don't know... but fast/very fast looks like a joke. I can watch the video game from the boradcast view and fast/very fast looks like I am watching games on fast forward when they snap the ball. I have NFL games on my Lap Top and can actually compare, and not just rely on my memory. It just doesn't pass my personal eye test for what ever that's worth.

Quote:
Anyway, I saw Suggs missing WAY too many tackles. He missed 5...in a half. He got a sack, but I was able to get him free as a free runner. When engaged, he didn't get too much going, but that might have been the Chargers LT as well. Ngata got a hit on Rivers to force a bad pass. Hixon (that pass rushing LB I mentioned) got some pressure from the other side.

I saw the "break the high TAK player's tackle and get taken down by the medicore TAK CB". On one particular example, Mathews stiff armed Ngata, broke Suggs' tackle, but then got tackled by Jimmy Smith. Not as bad, but Floyd broke Suggs' tackle, Washington's (MLB) tackle and gets dropped by Reed. I know Reed isn't horrible at tackling, but...neither are the two LBs.
Yeah, I am want to look at tackling a bit more as well. I am sick of watching Willis and Bowman missing tackles asoften as hey are with 96 and 97 tackling. It's a work in progress and feedback like yours is VERY helpful. It let's me know what others are seeing with other teams.

It's good to hear you had a good fun competitive game.

- It sounds to me like the pass rush really does need to be high in the 85-100 range. I think I can lower the break tackling from 10. I am doing the All-madden 295 point buy, so I don't want to put points into tackle when I can take points away from the computer's break tackle. Let's give 5 a try instead of 10 and see what happens.

-If you are not happy with the broken tackle rates for your team, I think I may lower both user break tackle and computer tackling from 25 each to 0 each and use those points somewhere else in my point buy... or keep them floating.

-To address the floaty passes, I am messing with slightly higher user accuracy and slightly higher computer catching as Jarodd suggested I do.

The fact that we are having fn close defensive battles with good teams tells me these coach mode sliders are on to something and that we may already be fine tuning them. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I have messed with the tackling slider a lot. Many slider makers have it very low and to my tastes it creates way too many broken tackles for one, and way too many silly bouncing animations by the HB for two.

In my sliders, I have HUM tackling at 50. You get good, solid, wrap tackles there by good tacklers, but good backs will break some tackles, and weak tacklers will be exposed. I don't like anything less than that value personally.

That said, you have to give somewhere to get somewhere else, so it's all a matter of which aspect of the game you want to fit your preference most closely. I also have CPU tackling in the 50 range so my guys don't break too many tackles.

Just my .02 on that.

And as for the speed, it's definitely preference, but if I recall correctly, LBzrule, who went to at least one community day, said that he was told the game was made to be played on slow. That's the speed I use, but it's different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

I have lowered the computer's break tackle from 10 to 7 and there are a LOT less bouncing off broken tackles. I still don't know what KBLover is seeing in run defense. My team attacks and stomps the computer's running game. In week one Skittle ran 19 times for 58 yards which is 3.0 ypc. T. Jack took off 6 times for 42 yards. In game two Murray ran 21 times for 37 yards which is 1.7 ypc.

That is with 20 run blocking and 7 break tackle against 0 tackle, 0 Block Shedding and 25 reaction.

I am trying to balance the 49ers amazing run stuffing front 7 with them being too good so far. While it is only two games, I have only allowed 135yards in those two games. the real life 49ers allowed a league low 77.something yads per game. I have allowed 67.5, and 42 of it came fro ma fast scrambling QB... so I think that is a bit too good.

When I messed around with the Colts earlier I shut down Arian Foster and Steven Jackson... WITH THE COLTS. So I don't know why other people are having problems against the run... I feel the need to make he computer better at running the ball. It isn't player kill... it's coach mode.

I also updated my front page with what I am playing with.

Last edited by PGaither84; 02-28-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thanks for the sliders!

I'm also having issues with the rb's not running well enough(i'm using a custom roster tho), often getting 3ypc, usually less. Hopefully we can eventually get it to the point where it's pretty realistic.

I'll give your newest ones a try today.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #30
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

I don't know what else to do to make running backs play better. I can't get Gore to aggressively attack the hole. Especially on 3rd and 2. On 3rd and 2 I have resorted to calling FB dives over HB Iso plays.

I have gone back to 100 pass rush and updated my front page with what I am playing with right now. While that reverse pancake of Carl Nicks was nasty, it looks like that was more of an "any given Sunday" animation than something more common.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I don't know what else to do to make running backs play better. I can't get Gore to aggressively attack the hole. Especially on 3rd and 2. On 3rd and 2 I have resorted to calling FB dives over HB Iso plays.

I have gone back to 100 pass rush and updated my front page with what I am playing with right now. While that reverse pancake of Carl Nicks was nasty, it looks like that was more of an "any given Sunday" animation than something more common.
Vis-a-vis the pass rush slider, here's something I was thinking. Vs. scrambling QBs who are likely to get skittish under pressure, I like to lower the pass rush a bit so they don't run into as many sacks, but rather get a few yards before sliding. For pocket passers I use a slightly higher numbers.

I loved 100 because of the realistic engagement between the DE and the OT from the Raiders' 43, but when I saw the Saints' OGs getting slapped like Tina by my DTs, I toned it down to 75 and like it a little better.

To improve my own running game, I upped the user run blocking but didn't touch the CPU block shedding. I like having that value stay solid and just moving the blocking slider so when they get off the blocks I'm just a yard or two deeper through the run than at a lower level.

If you're into editing, BCV is the attribute you need to mess with to make Gore a more intelligent runner. If you play a couple of play now games with that rating at a few different levels, you'll see what I'm talking about. Playmakers has videos of its effects somewhere in the NCAA forums, but I'm not sure exactly where.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #32
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

Thanks for the feedback.

Gore has 96 Ball Carrier vision... so I don't think that's it.

How often did you see guard getting slapped around like in my video? Just going down to 90 pass rush I was watching Aldon & Justin Smith getting stone walled and slapped down frequently. As I get more games in, if 100 proves to be too good in the long run, then I will deal with that. Right though, now I like it.

I currently have 25 floating points. Maybe I'll put them into user run blocking and see what happens.

What do you have your User Run reaction time set to? As I said before, I was shutting down Arian Foster and Steven Jackson with the Colts defense... and thought i needed to make the computer run game better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »