Home

PGaither84's Coach Mode Sliders

This is a discussion on PGaither84's Coach Mode Sliders within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: PGaither84's Coach Mode Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Thanks for the feedback.

Gore has 96 Ball Carrier vision... so I don't think that's it.

How often did you see guard getting slapped around like in my video? Just going down to 90 pass rush I was watching Aldon & Justin Smith getting stone walled and slapped down frequently. As I get more games in, if 100 proves to be too good in the long run, then I will deal with that. Right though, now I like it.

I currently have 25 floating points. Maybe I'll put them into user run blocking and see what happens.

What do you have your User Run reaction time set to? As I said before, I was shutting down Arian Foster and Steven Jackson with the Colts defense... and thought i needed to make the computer run game better.
Man, that's weird. I know that for CPU backs BCV changes them night and day when you up it. Might not be the case for HUM backs, even in coach mode--I've never tried that.

The pass rush one I'm definitely still tinkering with. I was getting like 5 sacks during the pre-season, but there were some contributing factors that might not repeat themselves in the regular season. At 75 I was seeing more patty cake at LT than at 100, but I could tell that good edge rushers would likely get theirs.

In week one at 75, I had 5 sacks, one from every player on my DL and one from Daryl Blackstock. That was vs. DEN.

I'll put the rest of my sliders you asked for up when I get home. I definitely get run on, as one would expect--the Raiders haven't been great on D as of late, despite having guys with decent ratings.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #34
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I don't know how Denver plays in Madden 12, but it is tebow... isn't it considered a sack every time you tackle him for a loss? That's not really fair.

For the most part what I am getting is pressure and forcing the computer to eventually throw when I call cover two or cover three zones with 4 pass rushers. In the past the AI had all day to find a hole. Now it actually has to do something.

In the handful of regular season games most every sack I get, which really aren't that many, come from a HB slip screen where a pass rusher got in free and fast or the AI decided to tuck and run... right into a defender.

I don't really care about getting a lot of sacks. I care about getting pressure and forcing plays. I care about having a good defensive battle over field position when I can... just like my real life 49ers. If you mix in a good offense that can put some points on the board instead of just FGs, then they could be a real threat.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #35
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Just a side note:

I don't expect every game to have big sack numbers, but I don't want my pass rush to be terrible either. I found this image on the 49ers message board and had to save it and put it in My Arena.

I was talking to Jarodd and I am going to raise the computer's accuracy and catching to 75 each. I don't need 5 sacks a game, I just want realistic pressure. I have one palyer with 99 power moves and another with 97 Power moves. They shouldn't be getting thrown to the ground. While they SHOULD be able to bull rush, that animation/interaction just isn't in the game, so I'll take what I can get.

I also want to improve both the computer and user's running game. Jarodd was telling me that break tackle has a big impact on a back's overall abilities. Maybe that's why I am having such a hard time with gore despite his 96 ball carrier vision.

These sliders are not perfect, but they are helping to make the game more enjoyable for me. I hope they are for you too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
These sliders are not perfect, but they are helping to make the game more enjoyable for me. I hope they are for you too.

I've been tinkering with them (while debating whether or not to stay on Slow speed - I think I'll have to switch - the low velocity passes are creating more chances for defenders and I think the AI reacts more...snappy...on the higher game speeds - instead of taking it's sweet time deciding when the situation is obvious).

I'm still screwing around with it - trying to get the LBs to play right and pass rush - might not be enough points. Hmm...guess I'm going to have to concede one or the other. Or maybe go with All-Pro.

Which is worse...weaker pass rush or bad LB play in space/reading space/gaps and getting fooled by just about every move and shift? Tough decision...

For the HB - I know Jarodd and I see this completely differently, but I think with enough run blocking, there's enough holes for the HB to cut into - without the "suddenly, I'm going to the opposite C-gap so neener neener" stuff that happens.

With 61 Run Block and 14 Break Tackles, I see nifty CPU HBs going up the middle, see my MLB, and find a hole in the B-gap for 5 yds. MLB might still get him, but it's for a gain instead of a loss. Cool. It's a change of direction, finding a hole smartly, without looking cheesy and the MLB still got the tackle.

Last edited by KBLover; 03-05-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
I still don't know what KBLover is seeing in run defense. My team attacks and stomps the computer's running game.
They have little concept for gap control.

I want defense to be about gap control and finding openings as the offense creates them - I think with lower run blocking, it's more about the offense just not executing.

Basically, I want both sides to execute correctly, and then talent and instinct create the plays. On low run reactions, I see too much of the standing around (LBs should almost never stand around, imo) and yes, I see the turning in place LBs, especially in slow, and I literally watch it happen and I'm screaming at him to hit his freaking "square button" and tackle the HB. Even Ray Lewis was hardly intimidating or anything. He was way too passive on low reactions. I also HATE the way Willis plays for me on low reactions - same deal, no aggressiveness when he sees the play. Doesn't fill - but waits for the HB to get to him.

On high run reactions, I see my LBs reading space and attacking the gap they see. I see them doing "anticipation-like" reading of the flow of the play and trying to find an opening to the ball carrier, sometimes even getting TOO antsy and getting out of position (players making mistakes of aggressiveness as well as the weaker ones being late/passive), which, ironically, seems to help HB change directions better if they have the AGI/ACC and in my TB franchise, many do. One guy with 95 SPD, 99 ACC, 99 AGI eats me alive constantly. With high reaction.

I put it on low reaction against this guy and it was like Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl.

Last edited by KBLover; 03-05-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

I had two crisp games, so I'm going to share what I used.

Base is PG's coaching sliders. CPU is the same as posted, except I went with 10-10-30 for CPU Rushing.

User Passing: 15-0-20
User Rushing: 10-10-20
User Pass D: 10-30-90
User Rush D: 40-0-50

I tested my Ravens under Slow/16 using my 100 fatigue/7 Injury settings and requisite subs. I tested a more "mature" franchise, my TB franchise, that's largely Madden draft classes, vets that still have game (like 38 year old Drew Brees), and developed Madden-class prospects.

The Ravens faced the Giants. It was a tight, hard-hitting affair. I stayed with quicker passes and more conservative calls against the Giants pass rush and used Rice as much as possible. We moved the ball some, but couldn't break through the red zone. Cundiff hit a 56 yd and 33 yd FG for the scores in the first half. Yes, half. The Giants were inconsistent in the first quarter, but then Eli heated up. The defense was getting a little worn from having to hit Bradshaw and Eli kept finding Nicks and his TE for 1st downs. He capped the drive with a nice throw to the back of the end zone to Nicks that Reed just missed deflecting.

Score was 7-6 at the half.

Third Quarter, I used the run game. Rice and Welch, a HB from the Madden draft, worked the ball and I ran with Leach some too to help spread the load. Rice caught an arrow route for a 5 yd score to cap off the 7 minute drive. Eli went three and out, but then Flacco threw a pick on a really bad pass. Eli took advantage of his second chance. Bradshaw ran it and and Cruz started getting involved.

Giants were using too many weapons for my young LBs and DBs to keep track of and Reed couldn't be everywhere at once. Giants got a 2 yd score from Bradshaw, and he also ran in the 2-pt try. 14 all heading into the 4th. Ravens went three and out. Giants picked up some first downs but had to punt. I had been staying conservative with Flacco, but I guessed right on a blitz and had a deep post called. Flacco made the right read and nailed Evans (and he caught it this time, unlike the REAL Lee Evans..) for a 45 yd TD pass.

Eli wouldn't be undone. I tried to crank up the pressure and got some hits on him, but he didn't waver. He kept hitting his targets and no coverage was getting it done and they were getting tired from chasing down the WR. Eventually, Cruz struck for a score. Back to even at 21.

Ravens were getting something going as the 2-minute warning neared. I decided to throw, and then Pierre-Paul blasted Flacco, forcing a fumble. Tuck jumped on the ball. Ravens made their second turnover of the game.

Eli moved the ball, but the DBs were on the mark this time. I stayed strictly in man coverage and tried to bring various shifts for pressure. It worked. Eli tried to get greedy, but Reed was there to make him pay. He got a good return and set the Ravens up.

Unfortunately, the Giants defense was up to the task and held the Ravens to a FG, but it would be enough to squeeze out a 24-21 win.

Then I played the TB game. It was @NO.

First play of the game. Ingram takes the handoff. MLB Gibson pops him in the hole to force the fumble. OLB Murray recovers the ball. TB would go 4 plays for a TD. Saints moved the ball but since this team has REAL DBs, the coverage was good. Next TB drive, the run game got going, then a deep pass to Mike Williams for a TD.

But here came the Saints. I got too aggressive, trying to blitz Brees. That got him some quick completions. Ingram got a few solid runs, then Brees hit one of his WR with INSANE speed deep. Was no contest LOL.

Needless to say, I played back in coverage after that, which of course gave him so much underneath it was insane, but that's smart QB play. Methodical, tiring drive and he ties it up. 14-14 at the half.

My QB started acting stupid (damn 1-star consistency!) and that put the defense in a bind with the 3-and-outs as we couldn't just run for first downs.

Down 28-14 in the 3rd, The run game got going, and Collins broke one for 30 yds. The defense looked tired chasing him, so I brought in Blount for a "change of pace". He busted through for a 15 yd run. 28-21 and we have a chance.

But it went by the boards - my QB tried to force one late in the 4th into TRIPLE coverage (moron!). Yeah, that ended badly. And so did the game. 28-21.

Two real solid games. I think I will play one of my other franchises on this set for coach mode and see how things look for a season. I know you're anti-stats, so I won't bring them up in the thread, but I want to see how it looks. This team has Hali, Willis, and Mario Williams at LB too, so, that should be fun!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #39
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Some things during tinkering:

I agree that Pass Rushing works well at 85-90 for coach mode. Sadly, I had to gimp pass reaction, so DBs and LBs looked stupid at times, even running away from the receiver Stupid point restrictions and all that. Why, EA?

Lowest run reaction I liked without seeing totally inept gap awareness from LBs is about 40.

QB Acc at 15 is fine it seems. I think I might lower QB Acc for the CPU some. Maybe to about 40. 60 can get a little Robo sometimes, at least with the fatigue settings I have (since pass rushers can tire quickly and have to rotate out)

Likewise for the lower WR catching. I didn't see drops (no drops in either game) even in traffic.

Tackling was much better at 50. I wouldn't go lower than 35-40 to avoid ridiculous broken tackles. 40 probably good if you want to allow for more mistakes, but I think 50 is fine and still saw ball carriers slip out of tackles and what not.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Some things during tinkering:

I agree that Pass Rushing works well at 85-90 for coach mode. Sadly, I had to gimp pass reaction, so DBs and LBs looked stupid at times, even running away from the receiver Stupid point restrictions and all that. Why, EA?

Lowest run reaction I liked without seeing totally inept gap awareness from LBs is about 40.

QB Acc at 15 is fine it seems. I think I might lower QB Acc for the CPU some. Maybe to about 40. 60 can get a little Robo sometimes, at least with the fatigue settings I have (since pass rushers can tire quickly and have to rotate out)

Likewise for the lower WR catching. I didn't see drops (no drops in either game) even in traffic.

Tackling was much better at 50. I wouldn't go lower than 35-40 to avoid ridiculous broken tackles. 40 probably good if you want to allow for more mistakes, but I think 50 is fine and still saw ball carriers slip out of tackles and what not.
How many minutes are you playing on with these?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »