Home

SPEED THRESHOLD

This is a discussion on SPEED THRESHOLD within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
SPEED THRESHOLD

hey everyone

big question on speed threshold..i came across this post by "phukwiddit" on the 'best speed threshold for CCM' thread.

To get the perfect "Actual In-game Speed" I compared 40yd dash results from the 2012 rookie combine results with the actual in game speed in practice mode using a stopwatch app on my smartphone, timing hail mary plays with the reciever on the 40 yd line. For example, the fastest rookie in the combine, Travis Benjamin (Browns,) ran a 4.36 in real life. His Madden speed rating 96). In practice mode on hailmary plays, I clocked Benjamin, on average, at 4.18s, which proved that the Madden 13 game environment is 3% faster than real life. To be certain of the correct minimum in-game speed, I used the slowest offensive rookie in the Combine that I could find in Madden 13, LT Marcel Jones (Saints: 5.68 40yd dash - spd rating 53). In practice mode I subbed him in as a TE and clocked him at 5.02s. His Madden 40yd dash turned out to be 11.5% faster than life instead of only 3% faster like the faster player. This told me that the slower players are being helped by the default 50 setting for actual in-game speed. After a few hours of calibrating the speed slider, I arrived at a setting of 30, where the slower players are in sync with the faster players, 3% faster in the Madden environment than in real life. This is the only slider where we have a measureable link to real life, the 40yd dash, so this 30 setting will never change; all other settings must complement this setting in order to produce reality in the field and realistically competitive play and statistical results.

i think this was a cool way to get an idea of the correct thresholds. i know slider gurus and avid madden players alike prefer certain thresholds for certain speeds. fact of the matter is. there is a CORRECT setting.

can anyone attest to this guys findings and confirm or deny they are correct, or at least close ???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: SPEED THRESHOLD

Honestly man, I don't think there is a true threshold that will work for a game like this. High, Low, and Medium thresholds all have their pros and cons, because there are some variables within the game that, unfortunately, make it very difficult to come up with a standard, TRUE threshold.

You will see sets all over the board on this. 0, 30, 50, 60, 75. I think the threshold that works for you comes down to your own opinion and how you like to play the game.

I hope this didn't disappoint you.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECElit3
Honestly man, I don't think there is a true threshold that will work for a game like this. High, Low, and Medium thresholds all have their pros and cons, because there are some variables within the game that, unfortunately, make it very difficult to come up with a standard, TRUE threshold.

You will see sets all over the board on this. 0, 30, 50, 60, 75. I think the threshold that works for you comes down to your own opinion and how you like to play the game.

I hope this didn't disappoint you.

True dat!

the Gospel of Madden preaches a higher rather than lower threshold.... My personal experiences with the SPEEDTHRESH is that if you skew it too low, say ZERO, then you the player have to much of an inherent advantage. This is especially evident on kick off returns and runs to the outside. Of course, the counter argument is that a lower SPEEDTHRESH does "''roid" up the CPU's offense and can make it almost "cartoonish" the freak abilities that all of a sudden the CPU's offensive players will have....

I agree with SEC, it's about personal preference... I had always been a low SPEEDTHRESH guy, up until these past two Madden titles.... For me, the game seems to look better and play better on a higher threshold at the present....

However, be advised that I do have a low speed threshold franchise, going through the paces as I type, in my lab....So who knows, maybe when all my data is in for the POST PATCH, I may change my mind on this opinion....

Hope this helps you out pal...
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

right on..yea i dig it..i dont make sliders, but i do my best to help out those who do in order to create a good experience. i mean the whole 40 yard dash thing and the true-to-life speeds are cool n all..but thats nit picking when it comes to trying to establish a realistic gaming experience (statsitically, and visually), which is hard enough as it is!

thanks for the insight!!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Rookie

Slim4824's Arena

OVR: 2
To many big plays with threshold at 0. I like this finding and will try to implement it into my slider set.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Like others have said it really is a personal preference thing. As for me with no fancy testing my "eyeballs" over the course of a season and a half have me going from my starting with default 50 down to 35.

At 35 I have been happy with a RB's ability to turn the corner and receivers on crossing routes getting separation from LB's trying to cover them. Larger, slower players that get a good angle can still make the plays I think they should. Before going to 35 both my and the cpu offenses were a bit underpowered leaving a lot of 2nd and 3rd and longs resulting in low yardage games, usually well under 300 yds total offense for both sides. Going down to 35 has resulted in more realistic figures without having too many breakaway plays.

And yet while 35 is "right" for me, again as others have stated, the next guy is getting his realism using 75.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Pro

whosnext00's Arena

OVR: 3

I may be a little late to the part but... I also did a test on Threshold using 40 yard dash times and spent about 8 hours on it.

I found that 65 and Slow Gamespeed (because gamespeed affects the Threshold) to be the only setting that was as close to real life 40s. Other gamespeeds and thresholds came close but none were as exact as Slow and 65.

Hope this helps anyone looking for the best thresh to use when looking for realism. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of simple math. Use a stopwatch at this setting yourself, don't take my word for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »