Home

Guidebook (err "threadbook"?) for a slider newbie...

This is a discussion on Guidebook (err "threadbook"?) for a slider newbie... within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 11
Icon5 Guidebook (err "threadbook"?) for a slider newbie...

Hello you Slider Aficionados,

Long time viewer...first time caller (err slider user)...

First, I play coach mode (auto qb) only and never control any players (including going to super sim for FGs so I don't have to kick them).

So my first question regarding sliders is

1) do the Human portion have any affect on my game, or does it apply to all players on a human controlled team, regardless of whether an individual player is controlled?

2) Is there really anyone proficient in sliders for players like me? From all I've read, sliders seem to focus on playing the game ala typical Madden style which means stick-control of players and abilities

3) Currently, I have all my sliders at 45 which really seems to work quite well, at least statistically throughout my preseason, am I on to something? Is there a reason for this? Is this the "equal" sliders set I've read about?

4) Are sliders relative to each other or to the 50 median? i.e. if I have all sliders at 20, then are all events going to happen with a lot less degree than at 50 or did I just move the "line" so to speak down equally for all , so it still plays like a game as if I had everything 50...in other words, does all the sliders at the same number = the same game play as all at 50 and it is only the differences in the set that change game play? So if all sliders were at 20 or 70 or 50 everything would all appear the same during the game but some at 20 and some at 50 would significantly change the game play of all sliders? I hope that is clear, I am confused just typing it.

Boils down to this, is it the relative differences in sliders that change game play or the absolute difference from 50 (the default) that changes game play? There, that's what I'm asking!

5) How and when do I know to change a slider? For instance if I'm playing with Tom Brady, vs John Skelton, the game should feel different so how many games do I play with Skelton before I adjust a slider, and am I only adjusting a slider so it is "easier"? I do not want that. I want a game that plays like a sim (i.e. realistic based on player attributes) regardless of who I am playing!

6) Has anyone found a slider that enables auto-qbs to scramble. I chose WAS so I could have RGIII scramble and rush, but he has -5 yards rushing (on one called rushing play) and has never scrambled out of the pocket to rush downfield. I have yet to hear any person who is on auto qb mode confirm that they had a qb scramble for positive yardage, yet Fitzpatrick did it to me for 24 yards on the CPU side

7) Same question as 4 for penalties? Are they relative or absolute difference from 50? I had a few at 70 some 60 and rest at 50 and had over 20 penalties in the game, I backed everything back to 50 and had 0. If anything I want slightly higher penalties in first few weeks but ideally would like not to have to change them.

Again, this is different than any slider thread/post on here because it seems you guys don't play auto-qb coach mode without controlling any players, so would be very interested to find out what/how and if sliders are even relevant to my type of player.

Thanks for the time and input in advance to the slider gurus
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Guidebook (err "threadbook"?) for a slider newbie...

200 views and not a single post? does that man nobody is playing auto-qb mode that deals with sliders?
Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I am also playing coach mode via auto throw QB, but like you, I really don't know much about creating a good slider set. Thus far, I haven't really seen any coach mode sliders that work for me, but I do prefer equal slider sets. I don't utilize a scrambling QB, so I have yet to see my guy scramble. For now, I am just sampling all of the equal slider sets on this site until I find one that gives me the best sim stats. I tried the 45's across the board for preseason and that seemed to work well, until I hit the regular season. My first 2 games were complete blow outs against Falcons and Bills. I am using the Chiefs and Brady Quinn is my QB. I should not be blowing anyone out, but that has to do more with my running game than Brady Quinn. Jamal Charles is a beast in my CCM.

I am now giving the sliders under the "Coach Mode (test)" post a try and they seem to work ok for the most part as a base, but it still doesn't feel right.

Last edited by zadokguy; 10-21-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Rookie

wech's Arena

OVR: 0

SloeyEZ, you play exactly like I do. I cant answer your questions, I'm sorry to say, I just wanted to let you know that there are others besides yourself that play the way you do. I would like to know the answers to your questions as well so kudos to you for a great thread. BTW, I feel your pain particularly when it comes to the auto-QB not scrambling. Its been the case for years and it's always bothered me a tremendous amount. Why they dont is beyond me since its a major part of the real game of football. Seems like it would pretty easy for them to do this in the game but they just dont. I play with Big Ben...he scrambles and will run in real life. Its Big Ben for pete's sake! He's known for this type of stuff! In this game, he may move and shed a would-be sacker but he WILL NOT run for yardage no matter how much wide open field he has in front of him. As for you using the 'Skins and RGIII not running/scrambling...that's just ridiculous. THATS WHY HE'S SUCH A THREAT. EA really needs to take a long look at this issue.
Anyway, good post and yes, there are lots of others that play the way you and I do so it's nice to know you have someone that supports you.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wech
SloeyEZ, you play exactly like I do. I cant answer your questions, I'm sorry to say, I just wanted to let you know that there are others besides yourself that play the way you do. I would like to know the answers to your questions as well so kudos to you for a great thread. BTW, I feel your pain particularly when it comes to the auto-QB not scrambling. Its been the case for years and it's always bothered me a tremendous amount. Why they dont is beyond me since its a major part of the real game of football. Seems like it would pretty easy for them to do this in the game but they just dont. I play with Big Ben...he scrambles and will run in real life. Its Big Ben for pete's sake! He's known for this type of stuff! In this game, he may move and shed a would-be sacker but he WILL NOT run for yardage no matter how much wide open field he has in front of him. As for you using the 'Skins and RGIII not running/scrambling...that's just ridiculous. THATS WHY HE'S SUCH A THREAT. EA really needs to take a long look at this issue.
Anyway, good post and yes, there are lots of others that play the way you and I do so it's nice to know you have someone that supports you.
That's why I finally gave up last night and have gone back to HeadCoach09 and even though HC09 is a great game, I'm sad not to be able to play M13 like everyone else
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
That's why I finally gave up last night and have gone back to HeadCoach09 and even though HC09 is a great game, I'm sad not to be able to play M13 like everyone else
After the last update I have been playing coach only auto QB on all-pro at very slow speed and they are amazing! The play is great to watch and puts up realistic stats too. Even had a kick return for a TD! I have changed the penalty sliders to get more but that is the only changes I have made. I highly recommend you give it another chance. I too have been playing HC09 until I discovered this.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hey sloey, I'm also a coach mode only player and I can answer one of your questions. Equal sliders don't work in some areas. The computer QB accuracy has to be lower or they complete a much higher percentage than you will. I've also noticed they need a little bump in help on the running game. In my experience they're too efficient at passing and incompetent in rushing. It's a tough balance to get right, but the scrambling thing is very annoying too. I just pick QB run sometimes to pretend its working.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
Putting the intentional grounding slider to 25 or less seems to get the QB to take off.

Seems like that slider impacts his pocket presence some kind of way.

Now, I don't know if it will impact the Auto-QB mode, but if it makes the CPU guys run, maybe it will? Not like intentional grounding is ever called on the CPU anyway...so it can't hurt to try?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »