Home

Speed threshold

This is a discussion on Speed threshold within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Speed threshold

So if I'm thinking right, having this at 100 closes the gap between faster and slower players right. So wouldn't 0 be the most realistic setting?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Speed threshold

I think that's what most people use..
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

In theory, but it also depends on how Speed works in the game.

For example, if 40 is 6.0 and 99 is 3.8 - that's too wide a gap for the NFL. If 0 = a gap like that, then it's not necessarily the most realistic, imo.

It just depends on what you call realism. I say it's not because I don't think there's many 6.0 guys in the NFL and if they are, they should be closer to 0 speed, not 40 with 2/5 of the scale below them. Also, 2 seconds is almost an eternity on the field of play, so I would think most guys are not 2 seconds slower than the fastest unless they are the big NT types or big lineman.

But if Madden does something to make slower players faster than they should be, then 0 might be most realistic in the sense that a guy runs what he runs and can't just speed up.

To me, until we know what EXACTLY speed threshold does and why it's needed in the first place, a "most realistic" setting is going to be up to what you see and how it works for your sets.

Just like some say a high threshold makes slow players catch you, yet I've burned players and been burnt by speed on 75 threshold, so that's not the whole story, imo.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

I'm of the opinion that a low Speed Threshold only makes the problems in player movement in Madden more glaring and obvious. A high Speed Threshold helps to mask those issues while introducing a lesser problem (overpowered pursuit)

That's why I go with a higher threshold because it's the lesser of the two evils.

The #1 reason that a low Speed Threshold is not realistic in this game is that every ballcarrier runs with a perfect stride from any starting position. Perfect stride from a standstill, perfect stride in/out of cuts, and perfect stride while catching the ball.

That's not how "speed" works on the field in the NFL. Sudden change of direction, hesitations and changes of pace, stop and go, and cutbacks are what usually generate big plays on Sundays.

There are a lot of very fast players that lack the strength to play through contact or lack the lower body strength and balance to make hard/strong cuts. We don't see that play out in the Madden world. There's little to no arm tackling in Madden, little to no incidental contact, and too much playing in space. That makes speed the ultimate weapon and ultimately borderline "cheese" with a low speed threshold.

There's a lot more at fault than the above, but it just makes me sad to think about all of the elements of football that Madden doesn't cover.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
Banned

Maelstrom's Arena

OVR: 7

I saw a post last year that suggested setting it to 25.

I set it at 25 in NCAA & tried it in Madden. It seems to work, because now linemen with a speed rating of 65 (for example) cannot chase down a scambling QB with a speed of 80 running at full sprint.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Banned

General Butt Naked's Arena

OVR: 3

the reason I lowered it is because I was getting run down by D tackles from all over the field. I would be up the field 15 yards and a d lineman would tackle me. also I couldn't out run a dt when i was a QB. so basically I couldn't scramble at all. and again, I couldn't run outside of the tackles because everyone was as fast as my hb
Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Butt Naked
the reason I lowered it is because I was getting run down by D tackles from all over the field. I would be up the field 15 yards and a d lineman would tackle me. also I couldn't out run a dt when i was a QB. so basically I couldn't scramble at all. and again, I couldn't run outside of the tackles because everyone was as fast as my hb
I'm on 75 and run outside without getting caught - also had long scrambles (Terrelle Pryor, 90 Speed) where I wasn't caught from behind - been burned by speed...McCoy, Charles, etc)

Whatever it does, either does something different based on game speed you're on or some combination of the ratings or other sliders, imo.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Butt Naked
I don't scramble a whole lot, but Tony Romo does have the speed to move when he needs to. Are you on 0? 15-25 has been working very well for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »