Home

Pass Rush vs. Pass Block

This is a discussion on Pass Rush vs. Pass Block within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #57
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Pass Rush vs. Pass Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
I'm not sure if it's the pass blocking or a combination of both but they definitely have been slinging the ball around more. The Lions just threw the ball way more then the ran in this game I just played.. I don't wanna say this is the reason why they are passing more because I'm not sure but ever since I made that tweak they have been.
Not sure what to make of this discussion since the Lions are in my division and every time I play them they pass a ton. I have played them assigning them a generic play book and I have let them roll with their default team book with the same pass heavy result.

I am running pass block at 5 and QBA at 5 for both Human and CPU.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #58
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I see WR's attempting many more aggressive catches. I've had Marcel Reece (playing at TE) lay out more than a few times for passes where he didn't before. Jacoby Ford did it in the last game I played, laying out for a ball. Malcolm Floyd attempted a one-hand jumping catch in the end zone (failed). Seen guys get flipped a bit in the air as they try to go for balls, "tackled" while in the air and the ball hits the DBs helmet and pops out, not as much of the "jump ball and the WR goes up and everyone else watches" sort of thing.

Sometimes, I think Pryor is going to get Denarius Moore killed. Poor kid has suffered a few injuries too trying to go for tough catches, then gets crushed by some DB.

Defensively, DBs seem none too shy about using their "Aggressive" Plays the Ball ratings. Lots of swipes and desperation lunges to deflect passes (sometimes succeeding), taking balls almost out of receivers' hands, but not in the M12 way with the clipping through nonsense.

I appreciate the feedback KB. This sounds promising. I will give it a go.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #59
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturzinator
Not sure what to make of this discussion since the Lions are in my division and every time I play them they pass a ton. I have played them assigning them a generic play book and I have let them roll with their default team book with the same pass heavy result.

That could be true but most of the teams I played so far have been passing the ball(except the Vikings) since I made that tweak.. Like I said I'm not sure if that tweak was tbe cause or not but before that the games were more balanced with the CPU slightly running more..
Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #60
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
My same observations KB but I prefer to use my WR Catch @ -50(40 preferably); what are you using for WR Catch on your set? I prefer the under 50 because you will already see them making more aggressive attempts. I also prefer using higher OPI to try and make their route running more critical.
I'm at 50 right now. The problem I have with under 50 is that the drop rates are too high. I had receivers with solid catch ratings drop 20-30% of their targets.

In M12, I was down to 20 for that reason (more route running importance), but the drop rate was reasonable in that game at 20 and my QB Acc at 7, even with contact. Now, it seems much more "sensitive" even for guys with solid CIT ratings whenever I get below 50. Just saw too many easy catch drops. Happens sometimes, but not often, in the real game. The worst drop rate, according to an article on ProFootballFocus, was 21% last year (TB's WR Benn). So that's the MOST I want to see...meaning from scrubs like Criner and Streeter, etc. Not from guys with 80s in catching.

Drops and broken tackles are two peeves of mine - they happen too often in this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
KB, In answer to your probing interest on what OPI @ 5 will do - I have used it this low and you see more of the same across the board. The telling thing is, I believe it deserves a lower catch rating because you are essentially making your players play more above their ratings the more you lower the OPI penalty cap.
I tried it in a half with the Ravens and loved it. Guys were attacking passes (including defenders) and coverage actually looked alive. Zones weren't whack, players honored their responsibilities in coverage, closed on the ball and receivers after the catch. The defense actually felt like it had real teeth with the top players showing up and moving the ball was effort, not just marching down the field. Yet, it wasn't Pollard being smarter (good) but Webb was on his man and Smith taking his gambles. Reed covering his zone and breaking on the ball to play "center field".

Had one play where Jones tried to dive but the DB cut the ball of and nearly picked it.

Granted, it was a very experimental batch, just trying some things from reading this thread, and was an All-Pro set (under 295 User points, fwiw), but it was great. It was 6-0 when I quit, Browns' lead. Had two turnovers - Rice fumble, Flacco pick when Haden jumped a route - and still, a defensive battle.

I also tried higher BSH slider - 35. I liked that too. Jacoby Ford nearly broke a KR. Garrard did get sacked twice (on 75 QBA) but both were coverage sacks and on one, McPhee drove the RT into the QB and then grabbed the QB when Garrard sensed the pressure too late.

Speed/Threshold was Slow/75 as I've been sold on that for a little bit now.

Actually saw a little more of a pocket with the DEs trying to "book end" the QB. Lewis was flying around. Upshaw was hitting - but McClain and whoever else I had (McClennan, I think. I know it was one of those meh LBs the Ravens have) weren't nearly as effective (ratings still mattered). Ngata was collapsing his side and penetrating even if he wasn't getting tackles/sacks.

It was good to see the defenses look so ALIVE and actually putting out effort.

Last edited by KBLover; 12-15-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #61
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturzinator

I'm at 0 and it seems the CPU tends to ebb and flow it for a while, then stick with what's working for me.

With the Raiders - that's the pass (not that they are good vs the run, but at least McClain is a threat - no such luck vs the pass) and I get thrown on with decent (or more) frequency.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #62
Pro

I was running 0 pass block versus 0 pass rush for quite some time and was fairly happy with it. Downside was that my team got a few too many sacks and there seemed to be moments where O lineman stood around doing nothing and let pass rushers blow right by them.

Going to 5/5 has remedied both of these issues to a large extent. There are still some occasions where the CPU QB has too much time in the pocket, a "problem" that the human side never has to deal with. The CPU generally seems to have a more balanced and realistic pass rush than does the human side of the equation at equal slider settings.

It seems like the human pass rush either gets immediate pressure on the CPU QB or gets kept at bay for way too long - there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

I am considering raising the pass rush on both sides (more so the human side) but it's a delicate balance.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Fos
lol 20hrs!!

check these out and it should help clear the confusion some

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...3-realism.html
Yeah job gets alittle more demanding then I like at times!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I see WR's attempting many more aggressive catches. I've had Marcel Reece (playing at TE) lay out more than a few times for passes where he didn't before. Jacoby Ford did it in the last game I played, laying out for a ball. Malcolm Floyd attempted a one-hand jumping catch in the end zone (failed). Seen guys get flipped a bit in the air as they try to go for balls, "tackled" while in the air and the ball hits the DBs helmet and pops out, not as much of the "jump ball and the WR goes up and everyone else watches" sort of thing.

Sometimes, I think Pryor is going to get Denarius Moore killed. Poor kid has suffered a few injuries too trying to go for tough catches, then gets crushed by some DB.

Defensively, DBs seem none too shy about using their "Aggressive" Plays the Ball ratings. Lots of swipes and desperation lunges to deflect passes (sometimes succeeding), taking balls almost out of receivers' hands, but not in the M12 way with the clipping through nonsense.
Let me know if I have this right:

The lower the DPI slider, the more aggressive offensive players are on catches?

The lower the OPI slider, the more aggressive defensive players are on interceptions?

Also, do either affect how safety's play in zone coverage? I'm trying to make the CPU safety's better at covering the the streak play against pressing corners.

Thanks for the help.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »