Home

Any fix for RB running into OL?

This is a discussion on Any fix for RB running into OL? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
Any fix for RB running into OL?

Is there anyway to improve the inside running game with sliders to help minimize the running back running into the offensive lineman? That is my worst pet peeve in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Any fix for RB running into OL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch49
Is there anyway to improve the inside running game with sliders to help minimize the running back running into the offensive lineman? That is my worst pet peeve in this game.
No this is a product of the new engine. You have to really watch yourself running into guys...it is slightly annoying indeed.

I expect the IE to far better tuned for M14.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Now, I don't make this as a claim but in this statement I will preface that, in my experience, the fumble slider helps with balance and the higher the better. IT really should be called the carry slider because more = better but they describe it as fumbles and a decrease = more fumbles..? not logical in an interpretation sense..

As a dynamic, I have good experience using fumbles at 75 or higher and break tackles at 25 or less preferably 15 or less. The break tackle slider to me is a mass slider and the higher the number the more truck size your player becomes. Fumbles/Carry slider can help stabilize this.

Finally, I also prefer to use 15 or less on the blocking sliders. It creates for less traffic. Overall, this dynamic of the fumble/carry slider + the btk and blocking sliders helps to create a more fluid run and run blocking game and less slippage and train wreckage. The tackle slider in my expereince works as a mass slider too where more = train wreckage and less is less traffic and more 1on1 ability so again 15 or less here.

If you're still not seeing an improvement in the experience there may be more to the story and in that case I could offer more insight into what I am using but for now I think those are the main contributors to the success / fail of the running back stumble and balance / stability.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Interesting that you describe fumble as a "mass" slider - I think what it does is make the "moves" a ball carrier can do more effective - including juking, spinning, etc. It also help "absorb" hits, which is where the mass part definitely comes in.

And I agree - it's a stupid name. Carrying or Ball Carrier Ability would make more sense.

That's why I don't put it up higher. LBs get juked out of their shoes enough in this game...change of direction reactions are bad enough. LBs play stupid enough as it is.

Same with low tackling. I agree that it "cleans up" things, but...the high TAK players miss far too many simple tackles for me with it down that low. Tackling becomes more a coin flip than an differentiation of ability, bringing back the stupid "break the DL or LB tackle but get brought down by the tiny CB with bad TAK and POW" thing. Higher goes the other way, the only ones who even have a decent chance of failure are the scrub tacklers - which is closer to the NFL where 20% failure is pathetic...not average.

I think a higher run blocking creates more openings for HBs to get through, especially with lower run reaction (cut backs are more effective because defenders react more poorly to changes in direction...sometimes unrealistically poorly). So more openings + weaker change in direction reactions tends to lead to less running up someone's butt - assuming that blocker can win, which run blocking also helps.

Plus, not all HB, even in the NFL, find the daylight every time.

Just my view.

Last edited by KBLover; 01-02-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #5
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

No - it is not interesting I describe fumbles as a mass slider - it is Break Tackle that I describe as a mass slider. Sorry if that's what I conveyed earlier.. Break Tackle and Tackle for the record is what I consider to be Mass sliders
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

For the record KB I am not battling wits with you. The OP simply asked for a way to fix running back running into the OL. You don't need to prove your knowledge to me bro I trust your insights. But lets stay on topic. He doesn't need stats or to hear personal opinions about defense. Just wants some clarity on how to clean up the run game so the RB's don't run into their OL and usually as a result they just collapse. This is why I reflected on my angle the way I did because it is a pet peeve. It's a personal preference of his to tune this area of the game. It does happen in real life but that's not his concern.. in fairness it the game advertised stumble and balance in the trailers but there is more stumbling than balance lol the fumble slider is what helps with balance. With my sets I don't have noticable frequency of unproductive runs into the lineman ala mark sanchez lol so I thought I could speak on the subject with confidence
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
For the record KB I am not battling wits with you. The OP simply asked for a way to fix running back running into the OL. You don't need to prove your knowledge to me bro I trust your insights. But lets stay on topic. He doesn't need stats or to hear personal opinions about defense. Just wants some clarity on how to clean up the run game so the RB's don't run into their OL and usually as a result they just collapse. This is why I reflected on my angle the way I did because it is a pet peeve. It's a personal preference of his to tune this area of the game. It does happen in real life but that's not his concern.. in fairness it the game advertised stumble and balance in the trailers but there is more stumbling than balance lol the fumble slider is what helps with balance. With my sets I don't have noticable frequency of unproductive runs into the lineman ala mark sanchez lol so I thought I could speak on the subject with confidence
Hmmm...

I don't think KB was refuting your methodology Hanz. I think he was merely offering another perspective on the matter and providing his reasoning behind it.

Sharing opinions is what this site is all about. I wouldn't want to snuff out any possible tidbit of insight to improving this game by repressing someone's input.

Last edited by Sturzinator; 01-03-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I believe that BCV and perhaps strength have something to do with this as well. If I hit the line with DMC, I'm more likely to find a tiny crease and get 2-3 yards than I am if I hit the line with Taiwan Jones, who just falls on his butt.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »