Home

Best game speed and threshhold settings?

This is a discussion on Best game speed and threshhold settings? within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Best game speed and threshhold settings?

"I'm of the opinion that a low Speed Threshold only makes the problems in player movement in Madden more glaring and obvious. A high Speed Threshold helps to mask those issues while introducing a lesser problem (overpowered pursuit)

That's why I go with a higher threshold because it's the lesser of the two evils.

The #1 reason that a low Speed Threshold is not realistic in this game is that every ballcarrier runs with a perfect stride from any starting position. Perfect stride from a standstill, perfect stride in/out of cuts, and perfect stride while catching the ball.

That's not how "speed" works on the field in the NFL. Sudden change of direction, hesitations and changes of pace, stop and go, and cutbacks are what usually generate big plays on Sundays.

There are a lot of very fast players that lack the strength to play through contact or lack the lower body strength and balance to make hard/strong cuts. We don't see that play out in the Madden world. There's little to no arm tackling in Madden, little to no incidental contact, and too much playing in space. That makes speed the ultimate weapon and ultimately borderline "cheese" with a low speed threshold.

There's a lot more at fault than the above, but it just makes me sad to think about all of the elements of football that Madden doesn't cover."

The above quote was by Youalreadyknow, a member here on OS and pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. Like I said, this is probably one of the most contentious issues you will come across here on OS, so with that said, I am done with this. It's an endless, fruitless debate and it all boils down to personal preference. I hesitated to even respond in the first place, knowing the road it was destined to go down.

I found this quote using the search forum function. I recommend you simply do the same and come to your own conclusions that mesh with your play style. There are days worth of reading on the subject posted in these archives.

Edit: It should be noted that I was always a 0 threshold guy in the past, but that changed with M13. Threshold seems to have been implemented a bit differently in this year's game and it plays more realistically at the higher settings.

Last edited by Sturzinator; 01-30-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

It's all opinions. There's plenty of people who enjoy how I have my sliders setup with 0 threshold..
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

There is no "Best game speed and threshold settings". It's all preference. It also depends on the sliders. I personally use normal speed with 75 threshold. For me the players feel like they have more weight and it helps zone defense in my sliders. I still have plenty of speed separation too. I find anything below normal to be too easy. It also slows down the QB's throwing speed on Slow and can throw off the CPU's offensive ability. I don't agree with the arcade opinion. If there is anything arcade about Madden it's the game it self. Slow seems like what you see on TV. Normal and up is more like how fast the game really is. Nothing about faster speeds seems anything like NFL Blitz to me. It just a matter of preference.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »