Home

Jay's Sliders - Final Release

This is a discussion on Jay's Sliders - Final Release within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2004, 09:29 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Jay's Sliders - Final Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjackson
So you see that the running does indeed work for the CPU.

Honestly - you will see games where you will shut down the run (2.5/3yd average) and games where the cpu back will put up the nice 125-150 yard performance. I find that it seems to balance out around the generally wanted 4 yards per carry and that's what I'd hoped for.

I honestly imagine we'll see people coming back asking how the hell I can win or even compete with the running set like this. If you don't play good run defense you get eaten alive.
Ok, I gave these a shot. Let me just say that offensively, these are too easy. I was playing with the Browns and Jeff Garcia was 13/18 for 137 and a touchdown at the half. And Suggs had 10 carries for 120 yards and a score. William Green had 8 carries for 53 yards at the half. Offensively, I had 307 yards. I even held the ball for almost 20 minutes of the half. Which is a lot considering that I play 12 minute quarters. Now for the other part. The Jets only scored on 4 plays that each registered 60+ yards (that's pretty bad when they only run 13 plays). Highly unrealistic. I scored on each of my possesions and they punted on two of their's. Curtis Martin did run for 56 yards on 6 carries, but it's not as great as you think considering that he had a 55 yard touchdown run in which he ran through my Strong Safety (hmmmm). So 5 carries for 1 yard isn't great CPU running. The fact that Pennington was 4/7 for 156 yards was outlandish. They just threw all bombs. They couldn't sustain any drives because they were just trying to chuck it deep all half long. When my leading tackler has only 2 at the half, there's a problem. Final release may need some work. Hard time running? Not when I almost register 200 yards rushing in the first half.

Last edited by Gr8ONe; 09-13-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:06 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8ONe
Ok, I gave these a shot. Let me just say that offensively, these are too easy. I was playing with the Browns and Jeff Garcia was 13/18 for 137 and a touchdown at the half. And Suggs had 10 carries for 120 yards and a score. William Green had 8 carries for 53 yards at the half. Offensively, I had 307 yards. I even held the ball for almost 20 minutes of the half. Which is a lot considering that I play 12 minute quarters. Now for the other part. The Jets only scored on 4 plays that each registered 60+ yards (that's pretty bad when they only run 13 plays). Highly unrealistic. I scored on each of my possesions and they punted on two of their's. Curtis Martin did run for 56 yards on 6 carries, but it's not as great as you think considering that he had a 55 yard touchdown run in which he ran through my Strong Safety (hmmmm). So 5 carries for 1 yard isn't great CPU running. The fact that Pennington was 4/7 for 156 yards was outlandish. They just threw all bombs. They couldn't sustain any drives because they were just trying to chuck it deep all half long. When my leading tackler has only 2 at the half, there's a problem. Final release may need some work. Hard time running? Not when I almost register 200 yards rushing in the first half.
Simple fix... turn your blocking down, you're too good. I can't say much right now but i'll give a better response later.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:28 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8ONe
OK... now that I have a bit more time to elaborate.

I believe that I asked that people should critique the sliders after having played at least *2* games with them. Not one half.

Now, want to know why you have so many yards and they have none? Because you played *crap* defense obviously. All-Madden will exploit your weaknesses, apparently the computer figured out that you couldn't cover the pass. 156 yards for Pennington? He had right around that for the half yesterday, and it wasn't just because of a soft secondary. I might get beat for a bomb occasionally, but not 3 in one half.

So, if the computer runs 9 plays, and scores on 4, it would seem you would probably have the ball the majority of the first half. 18 carries for 173 yards is a bit high, but I also said to play more than 1 game to allow for breakout performances. THEY DO HAPPEN.

Christ, Curtis Martin ran for 193 yards yesterday. Multiple RB's went over 140. Is it high for a halftime total? Yes. I'll acknowledge that much. But 156 and 137 are NOT otherworldly stats. You'll remember that Garcia 2 years ago was a Pro-Bowler (rated 88 in the newest roster update too) and he's accurate as hell. Pennington only led the league in QB Rating the year before.

If the running game is too easy for you, either move the CPU Break Block up 1, or move the Run Blocking or RB Ability down. Blocking if the holes are just gigantic, or Ability if you're running people over or just crazily outjuking them.

I dunno what to tell ya - I've got like 2:44 left in the 3rd quarter in my game with Browns/Jets as a test for ya. It's 20-10, the Jets have scored once on a pick on me, and once on a fumbled punt near my 10 yard line that they scooped and scored. Martin has 14 carries for 85 yards, Garcia is 15-26 for 157 and a score, and Pennington has thrown for about 70 yards (it's snowing). They've been relying on Martin and he's been running well. As for my running game, Suggs has 22 carries for 70 yards.

Maybe you're just that much better, or maybe the CPU actually having to play football against me is keeping the stats where they should be.

Please play a couple more games though, if you still have problems - you can fix them. If nothing else you play football for a couple hours. If it works, you have countless hours of better fun because you are going to get good sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2004, 12:49 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Jay....I think these sliders are great. They pulled me away from ESPN. Thanks for the hard work!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 11:39 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecharmer
Jay....I think these sliders are great. They pulled me away from ESPN. Thanks for the hard work!!!
Thanks a lot, bud. If they have worked for you, perhaps you wouldn't mind posting stats from your next game? They could need more testing, but I can only play so many games myself.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjackson
Awareness has absolutely nothing to do with the running game. Nothing.

It's strictly for pass coverage. The main thing is having break block/run blocking/tackling all jive and work well together. You could honestly play the game with the awareness on 0 and it wouldn't affect the CPU Run one bit. You'd get murdered in the air so they wouldn't get to run that much, but they'd still run.

Edit: I take it back, awareness does have a *tiny* bit more to do with the running game than I let on, but it's mostly on how the CPU defends YOUR run. It has "very little" instead of "nothing" to do with the CPU running the ball.
AWARENESS has a lot to do with the run...Just watch a running play evolve with Awareness jacked all the way up. The corners who are covering a fly pattern on the opposite side of the field will immediately break off their coverage and go towards the angle of pursuit on the HB as soon as he gets the ball. Linemen will peel off there blocks and go right towards the angle of pursuit as well. I.E. The Left DE will start running at an angle down field as soon as a sweep is called....I think it also increases pursuit speed.

Crank Awareness all the way down, and the cornerback will stay in coverage much longer, oblivious to the running play until the RB is a few yards down field, sometimes way down field. The pursuit angles aren't as perfect either.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:50 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
AWARENESS has a lot to do with the run...Just watch a running play evolve with Awareness jacked all the way up. The corners who are covering a fly pattern on the opposite side of the field will immediately break off their coverage and go towards the angle of pursuit on the HB as soon as he gets the ball. Linemen will peel off there blocks and go right towards the angle of pursuit as well. I.E. The Left DE will start running at an angle down field as soon as a sweep is called....I think it also increases pursuit speed.

Crank Awareness all the way down, and the cornerback will stay in coverage much longer, oblivious to the running play until the RB is a few yards down field, sometimes way down field. The pursuit angles aren't as perfect either.
Somehow everyone thinks that after a month of slider testing I haven't done all of this already. Are you talking about for the CPU or the Human. Honestly for the human it doesn't do that much, and for what it does do - it's not that important. You need your CPU players to react to the ball in an efficient manner or else the game would be ridiculous.

I'll tell ya this much - as I said in the original post - that far more important is your blocking numbers, the break block numbers, and the tackling. Premium reaction to the play is very necessary to play on All-Madden, especially with these sliders.

All the reaction in the world doesn't matter if the only players that ever make tackles are CB's, Safeties, and LB's. These make it so the line is more than something to just be ran over and jumped over as you roll down the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2004, 12:35 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjj2xs
i read somewhere if you use the left joystick when throwing this leads the receiver, also leading to overthrows. i dont if this is true or not anybody try this? btw Jay thank you for your sliders and all your hard work, it is greatly appreciated...............sjj2xs
Yes, the left thumbstick works just like Maximum Passing in ESPN except you hold it while throwing, rather than just after the animation like you do in ESPN. And you will definitely have to make use of it on All-Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »