Home

An FYI about the QB Accuracy slider

This is a discussion on An FYI about the QB Accuracy slider within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2004, 01:48 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
An FYI about the QB Accuracy slider

Did some testing myself tonight, because I hadn't seen any actual statements on QB accuracy affecting throw power other than "Well, it SEEMS to affect it."

My answer -- The QB Accuracy does not affect throw power. What people are seeing with a lower slider is the ball being underthrown, or a more non-accurate ball. It has nothing to do with how far a QB can actually throw. I did some testing tonight with the Colts, because Peyton Manning has the strongest arm with the most accuracy (ie he's the best QB that can throw it both hard AND accurately, not one or the other). With a slider setting of 0, he was still able to complete a 40 yard Hail Mary. He only completed it once, though, because the rest of the time he was throwing it to the other side of the field. I cranked the slider up to 20, just for grins, and surprise surprise, the ball was placed where it needed to be unless the receiver was 70 yards downfield. He just couldn't throw it that far, even with the highest slider setting.

So, I experimented around the middle of the slider settings, just to confirm my suspicions that the ball isn't being underthrown most of the time with a lower setting -- it's being thrown inaccurately, behind the receiver. With a slider setting of 5, I was still completing a few Hail Marys with some decent yards behind them.

Anyway, the effect of a lower slider setting is essentially the same as lowering the QB power, but with one important fact. It's not IMPOSSIBLE for a QB to throw the ball far, just that the likelihood of it being on target decreases the lower in the settings you go. That's an important distinction, to me. I hope this is helpful to some, and if someone has already posted this here, I'm going to go ahead and eat a spoonful of redundancy and hide meekly in the corner.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2004, 03:36 AM   #2
Rookie

SnakeEyez's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: An FYI about the QB Accuracy slider

Does it effect ball velocity in the medium-short range, however?

I always felt it did in the past, throwing an 8-10 yard in or out for example.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:11 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyez
Does it effect ball velocity in the medium-short range, however?

I always felt it did in the past, throwing an 8-10 yard in or out for example.
Nope. The problem is that if it's slightly off-target, it will "float" a little further away from the receiver, so they have to either break stride to catch it, slow down, or rush up to it.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

I have to disagree here.

If you put the QB Accuracy slider at 0 (for the human), guys like Culpepper and Manning throw no farther than 30-35 yards. Go into practice mode and try to throw a deep ball. Even when you step into, that is as far as they go. Guys with 98-99 THP should be able to get the ball 55-60 yards in the air when they step into it.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 09-25-2004, 03:12 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
I have to disagree here.

If you put the QB Accuracy slider at 0 (for the human), guys like Culpepper and Manning throw no farther than 30-35 yards. Go into practice mode and try to throw a deep ball. Even when you step into, that is as far as they go. Guys with 98-99 THP should be able to get the ball 55-60 yards in the air when they step into it.
Nope. They CAN throw it deep, but they're so inaccurate, they don't. I managed to complete a few deep Hail Marys, like I said. Try it some more. I promise that it really is their complete lack of any kind of accuracy, not their lack of throwing power. But, at 0, you can't expect them to be accurate at all. Trust me. It takes a few (okay, a LOT) of tries, but eventually, they'll throw it on the money to a deep guy. Maybe try putting it 1 or 2 so they're a little more accurate. The slider also affects their delivery. Sometimes the ball will float a little more than you want it to, but their POTENTIAL for throw power isn't affected. It's just less and less likely that they throw the perfect ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2004, 03:41 PM   #6
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock
Nope. They CAN throw it deep, but they're so inaccurate, they don't. I managed to complete a few deep Hail Marys, like I said. Try it some more. I promise that it really is their complete lack of any kind of accuracy, not their lack of throwing power. But, at 0, you can't expect them to be accurate at all. Trust me. It takes a few (okay, a LOT) of tries, but eventually, they'll throw it on the money to a deep guy. Maybe try putting it 1 or 2 so they're a little more accurate. The slider also affects their delivery. Sometimes the ball will float a little more than you want it to, but their POTENTIAL for throw power isn't affected. It's just less and less likely that they throw the perfect ball.

I am telling you after a half an hour of fly routes with Daunte Culpepper in practice mode, not one throw went past 35 yards.

And it does affect short passes. Floating is not an accuracy issue. Floating is a throw power issue. Don't believe me? Give a QB 0 for THA and 99 for THP. He becomes a hard thrower where the balls never go where he wants. Then, make a QB 99 THA and 0 THP. Balls float, but always go where you want them to.

It is a known fact that the QB Accuracy slider affects throw power. This isn't just me talking. Tons of people from many different sites have done extensive testing on this, much more than you and I will ever do. Just like other slider affect multiple ratings, QB Accuracy affects accuracy AND power.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 09-25-2004, 04:36 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
I am telling you after a half an hour of fly routes with Daunte Culpepper in practice mode, not one throw went past 35 yards.

And it does affect short passes. Floating is not an accuracy issue. Floating is a throw power issue. Don't believe me? Give a QB 0 for THA and 99 for THP. He becomes a hard thrower where the balls never go where he wants. Then, make a QB 99 THA and 0 THP. Balls float, but always go where you want them to.

It is a known fact that the QB Accuracy slider affects throw power. This isn't just me talking. Tons of people from many different sites have done extensive testing on this, much more than you and I will ever do. Just like other slider affect multiple ratings, QB Accuracy affects accuracy AND power.
Then explain how I was able to get Peyton Manning, multiple times to complete 40+ yard Hail Marys with a 0 accuracy setting. I'm telling you, when the QB makes an on-target throw with 0 accuracy, he still does it with power, it's just like I said -- increasingly unlikely. It's not that they CAN'T throw further than 30 yards, it's that they DON'T. Try the test with Peyton, because he's just as powerful a thrower, but much more accurate, so the chances of him being on target are higher.

Think of it in reverse -- with a 20 on the slider setting, the QB should have nearly unlimited throw power and range, but that's just not the case.

THA affects delivery. Of course with 0 THP, they're never going to bullet the ball... it's physically impossible for that player to do so. Give them a 70 THP and 99 THA, and it's a much different story. Some balls will float, others will be pseudo-bullets, depending on where the ball needs to be placed. An overthrow might be too powerful, or it might be underthrown. Even in a less extreme scenario, if a slider setting of 0 means that the QB can't throw further than 30-35 yards, why would a setting of 6 (that I use) be able to complete deep throws?
Old 09-26-2004, 02:41 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

I have to agree with you on this issue. I've tested sliders for this game every since it was released and at first I use to think the same thing about the Qb ACC slider. I play with both Human and CPU QB ACC at 7 and trust me QB's can still throw deep. The accurate QB's will nave more sucess than the below accurate QB's but it doesn't effect throwing power that much at all. Most of these guys struggle to throw deep so they assuem it must be because this slider effects throwing power which is far from the truth. It effects accuarcy more than anything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »