Home

Madden Fans' Take On ESPN

This is a discussion on Madden Fans' Take On ESPN within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Madden Fans' Take On ESPN

I'm wondering what Madden fans like most about EA's game over ESPN? I don't want to start a war or argument, just curious as to what Madden fans appreciate about their game that ESPN doesn't have. Especially when ESPN looks more like the real deal and, from my experience, plays a damn good game of football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Madden Fans' Take On ESPN

This is soooooooo four months ago.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:21 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsv771
This is soooooooo four months ago.
:y4:
Old 11-11-2004, 11:40 AM   #4
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

I'll humor you...

I'd love it, if they didn't break it. I'm sorry, but the ESPN fans can live in denial for all I care, that is the buggiest, most rushed game i've seen in a long time - if the franchise mode was bareable, i.e. it didn't have the draft bugs, the unrealistic player movements etc, i'd love it, because a) the salary cap is not crazy like Madden and b) the contract system is more realistic IMO.

But then again the DB AI could use a lot of work too. Other than that, just those few things kill it for me, and they really do kill it. I would say 2K6 may be better but now I don't know, whilst 2K5 is a better game than 2K4, I played 2K4 over Madden 2004, now I play Madden 2005 over 2K5 - go figure. I guess for my small niche they really did make it worse than 2K4.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #5
MVP

HitDoctor's Arena

OVR: 13

I keep and play both because after long use of one, you need change. Both have their share of flaws BUT fun in their own way. Unless you have large shares of stock in one or the other, don't sweat the small stuff.....................everything is small stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I like Madden's franchise mode a lot better than ESPN's. And I couldn't forgive those damn DB's not even attempting to make plays on ESPN's game that really pissed me off. But if they improve those two things Madden would get beat for the first time.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:26 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 18

I prefer the franchise mode in Madden. I like the whole morale thing and ownership options, training camp, imported draft calsses, etc. Franchise/dysnasty/career modes are what make me choose EA's games in most case, except hoops.

Weekly Prep sounded great until I found out it was a little too detailed for me. I would have liked to pick the general direction of my practice and preparation, the press conference and meeting etc. but I don't want ot have to decide exactly what drill and how many reps. It got too cumbersome for me and I've heard a lot of people complaining that whatever they tried, their players were always worse off than before. Some suggested a preset weekly prep from an FAQ and that "if you leave it like that it should be alright" but if you're not changing anything what's the point of the feature in the first place? Don't get me wrong. ESPN is a great game, just not my favorite.

On a more general note, I've noticed a trend where SEGA's games seem too consistent to my taste. What I mean is that I generally play the same type of game all the time. My players always seem ot perform according to the ratings, no noticeable great days or bad days and the AI's performance never really seems to stray from the ratings either. It doesn't account for those times when a great team gets outplayed by a weaker team. I'm sure a lot of people love that from SEGA's games because it's more realistic, but I prefer to see upsets or games where a weaker team puts up a great fight. EA tends to overdo upsets a little bit, and you get to what should be a big game in your season to find that teh rgeat team is 3-5. It takes away from some big games but I'd still rather have a little too many upsets than not enough. It makes for more of an element of surprise.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

Franchise mode

Physics/animations/momentum-the game just feels/flows perfect

2X-FRANCHISE MODE

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »