Home

Whose to blame....

This is a discussion on Whose to blame.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: whose to blame
EA 28 27.18%
NFL 63 61.17%
Sega/Take Two 12 11.65%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2004, 02:33 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Whose to blame....

We fans are to blame for continuing to buy the same rehased crap from EA every year.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:06 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamden311
We fans are to blame for continuing to buy the same rehased crap from EA every year.
Not to get off on a tangent but I seriously do not believe Madden 2005 was rehashed crap. Also, ESPN sold really well this year so I doubt that had much to do with it. I think I see one point you make though that is probably valid, crap or not, Madden has been around longer than any other game and the NFL probably decided that was a big factor in being "comfortable" with the deal, that is assuming Segas bid was anywhere near what EA's bid was.

Remember the NFL also just recently gave the NFL Sunday Ticket deal to DirecTV and didn't even really consider cable bids from what I understand, that's because the NFL Sunday Ticket has been on DirecTV for years and made the NFL alot of money so there's a certain comfort factor there. So although I completely disagree EA puts out rehashed crap every year your arguement does ring of some truth in the fact EA's been doing it longer than anyone else and that probably is part of the reason they chose EA.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:13 AM   #11
Rookie

MrTennessee's Arena

OVR: 3

im gonna blame all 3 (nfl, nflpa and ea) had it been VC, that would be in place of EA. i wonder how many more deals like this are going to happen in the video game world?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2004, 08:24 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 6

The "EA was just doing what it had to do since the NFL was offering it up" sounds right initially. Then I see where EA has locked up FIFA, NASCAR, PGA and are going after the NBA and MLB. I think EA initiated the idea with lots of $$$$$$ and the NFL heard it and said "Well EA will give us this much, let us see what these rights can go for." Then the bid looks like it could have gone to anyone, but all of us know only EA can front that kind of cash.

I have a hard time believing that the NFL just out of the blue came up with the idea for an exclusive deal considering how much anually they get from multiple companies for rights to their logos and players. I am sure they saw from FIFA what kind of money EA will spend to get rights (and was probably smoothed over by EA salesmen) and opened up the doors.

Don't think EA is the little innocent company that just took an opprotunity given to them, they made it happen with $.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:36 AM   #13
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
It's the NFL who is to blame. EA couldn't buy something that wasn't for sell. Of course if the NFL put it up for bid then EA would be stupid to not buy it. We may not like it as consumers and I agree it's not good for us at all but as a company EA should not be held to blame for protecting their interests of one of their biggest moneymakers.
Well said.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:38 PM   #14
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Nobody's to blame, why are people trying to blame people. Thats it's, get over it. It was a business deal that all it was. If EA has the money and the NFL aproves, thats just fine. Just cause people don't like it doesn't mean anyones to blame.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 12-14-2004, 02:41 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 18

The NFL. All the way. They have the final say. Even if EA fronted big money to get them to consider it, the NFL still could have turned it down. The other exclusive deals that are mentionned are also examples of leagues that made similar decisions. EA or any other company cannot force a league to sell an exclusive license. Therefore, those leagues are seeing some advantage for themselves in having their license being exclusive, most likely in the premium that comes with the "exclusive" part of the deal. But they are still the ones who decide who they sell their license to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1726
I have a hard time believing that the NFL just out of the blue came up with the idea for an exclusive deal considering how much anually they get from multiple companies for rights to their logos and players.
Why would you have a hard time? It's worked really well for them with the NFL Sunday Ticket package being exclusive to DirecTV.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »