Home

EA Producer speaks on the negative community reaction

This is a discussion on EA Producer speaks on the negative community reaction within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2004, 08:25 AM   #9
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: EA Producer speaks on the negative community reaction

It makes my blood boil, having to think about dealing with the ridiculous way Madden does bump and run. Or the horrible player faces. The lack of presentation in general. I could list things all day and still not finish. These quotes irk me the most (from the IGN article):

"We are pleased to expand our agreement with Electronic Arts, the leading video game manufacturer and a valued NFL partner," said NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. "We look forward to working with EA to continue to enhance the quality of NFL video games that our fans have enjoyed for many years."

"For more than a decade, EA has produced the most authentic football product for fans of the game" said Players Inc. Chairman Gene Upshaw. "This exclusive relationship will maximize the value of NFL players through EA's continued commitment to bring fans closer to the game."

"We are excited about the opportunity to further enhance our relationship with the NFL and Players Inc." said Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO of Electronic Arts. "The five-year agreements will usher NFL fans through the console technology transition with new ideas and innovative game play experiences."

The NFL is CLUELESS about the videogame industry, and the state of NFL games in particular. Even Madden HIMSELF said that his own game needed to change because it wasn't a realistic representation of what NFL football really is. I'm not the activist type, but I'm going to do whatever I can to make my/our voices heard - in one fell swoop, these guys have killed off a lot about what I love in videogames.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:26 AM   #10
T*rg*t F**ld

bergie56's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev5890
I bet you any money there saying " what way can we make the fans think we added so much?, we will add one feature and that will be a button that makes madden shut up. And we will make a new shiny cover!"
That may be enough to make me buy the game though
Old 12-14-2004, 11:33 AM   #11
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I wonder if this year, EA will at least get Injured Reserve to work as it's supposed to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quality won't suffer IMO. Quality will be FORCED to rise. EA is the sole entity representing the NFL. IF things go awry, EA could actually be the source of its own demise. They will build their development team and look for more developing talent ect., I think they know the magnitude of this deal.

While I'm optimistic that quality won't suffer, the deal in general sucks to me. But what can you do? That's the way modern businesses works. People don't give a damn about the consumers and their feelings.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Regardless of whether quality suffers, our wallets are going to suffer. We were going to get quality football games anyway, now there's only one seller.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #14
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Quality won't suffer IMO. Quality will be FORCED to rise. EA is the sole entity representing the NFL. IF things go awry, EA could actually be the source of its own demise. They will build their development team and look for more developing talent ect., I think they know the magnitude of this deal.

While I'm optimistic that quality won't suffer, the deal in general sucks to me. But what can you do? That's the way modern businesses works. People don't give a damn about the consumers and their feelings.
Baloney.

You're assuming that the NFL cares about the quality of its videogaming product. It really doesn't.

Videogaming is just a very small piece of the NFL licensing pie. It's not the core of NFL licensing like us hardcore gamers think. The NFL is much more concerned about its deals with Budweiser and other companies than it it with EA.

And if the NFL really cared about the quality of its football videogames, then why did it let some of the recent crapware versions of Gameday and NFL Fever hit the market?

Take care,
PK
Old 12-14-2004, 11:50 AM   #15
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500

And if the NFL really cared about the quality of its football videogames, then why did it let some of the recent crapware versions of Gameday and NFL Fever hit the market?

Take care,
PK
I think that was the point of going to an exclusive agreement. I'd be interested to know how much more the NFL is making from this deal then it was from all the individual license deals.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2004, 11:50 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
Baloney.

You're assuming that the NFL cares about the quality of its videogaming product. It really doesn't.

Videogaming is just a very small piece of the NFL licensing pie. It's not the core of NFL licensing like us hardcore gamers think. The NFL is much more concerned about its deals with Budweiser and other companies than it it with EA.

Take care,
PK

And what facts do you have that say the NFL doesn't care about the quality of its video gaming products? IF they didn't care, why would they need to tell developers to tone this down, town that down? I might think they care alot more than they problaby do but to say they don't care is an overstatement IMO. Their voice about what is acceptable and what is not is an indication that they do care about certain things in the video games that represent them.

I will say this however, what the NFL fails to realize is that gameplay variety is KEY for the satisfaction of all of its fans. That's where they faltered. Even if the gameplay doesn't falter, everyone is not going to be satisfied with it regardless. No one company can please everyone with their style of gameplay regardless of how good it may seem to some. There will always be things lacking that just turn people off. And this all goes back to the argument of "the perfect" football game. It has never been developed and it never will be. There are just too many interpretations of how things can/and should go. Well now their is only one licensed interpretation

Last edited by LBzrule; 12-14-2004 at 11:55 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »