Home

EA Producer speaks on the negative community reaction

This is a discussion on EA Producer speaks on the negative community reaction within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2004, 07:03 PM   #25
All Star

OVR: 32
Re: EA Producer speaks on the negative community reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
And what facts do you have that say the NFL doesn't care about the quality of its video gaming products? IF they didn't care, why would they need to tell developers to tone this down, town that down? I might think they care alot more than they problaby do but to say they don't care is an overstatement IMO. Their voice about what is acceptable and what is not is an indication that they do care about certain things in the video games that represent them.

I will say this however, what the NFL fails to realize is that gameplay variety is KEY for the satisfaction of all of its fans. That's where they faltered. Even if the gameplay doesn't falter, everyone is not going to be satisfied with it regardless. No one company can please everyone with their style of gameplay regardless of how good it may seem to some. There will always be things lacking that just turn people off. And this all goes back to the argument of "the perfect" football game. It has never been developed and it never will be. There are just too many interpretations of how things can/and should go. Well now their is only one licensed interpretation
Just a couple thoughts. Do you think they care more about the amount of copies sold, or the quality of the game? Besides, none of us are really questioning that the game will be quality (at least, I don't think so), just the desire to improve.

Also, they're getting all this money up front. Does it even matter to them?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2004, 07:28 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 3

I happen to think Tiburon is a very good developer, but the bottom line just isn't their call. They don't set the development cycles or the budgets. They answer to EA and EA has a tried and true formula they'd prefer to stick with.

So while I'm fully sure that Tiburon would love to show us all that our concerns about quality are baseless -- what prideful developer wouldn't? -- but they are not the obstacle here.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:01 PM   #27
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19

Here's the bottom line: Necessity is the mother of invention.

It is no longer necessary for EA to invent and innovate in order to succeed in their market. In fact, it could be effectively argued that innovation would be a bad business strategy for EA to take at this juncture.

When we're not forced to be creative to survive - then we stick to what we know works; what's comfortable and secure. It's part of who we are as a species.

It's not business, not contractual obligations or anything else that control this - it's human nature - pure and simple.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:02 PM   #28
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrotar
Here's the bottom line: Necessity is the mother of invention.

It is no longer necessary for EA to invent and innovate in order to succeed in their market. In fact, it could be effectively argued that innovation would be a bad business strategy for EA to take at this juncture.

When we're not forced to be creative to survive - then we stick to what we know works; what's comfortable and secure. It's part of who we are as a species.

It's not business, not contractual obligations or anything else that control this - it's human nature - pure and simple.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:55 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 1

EA had the deal locked up with the NFL in May as reported by Sports Business Journal. When the deal leaked out, they had to go back and do it the right way by putting out for bid, but knowing who and how the winner is going to be chosen in advance.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/sports/ma...s_6098784.html

Players Inc. denies billion-dollar EA exclusivity deal

[UPDATE] After a well-respected sports-industry magazine reports that the sports-licensing deal of the century is in the works, NFLPA reps say the story has been retracted.

Two weeks ago The Sports Business Journal, one of the most respected trade journals of the athletic entertainment business, revealed the identity of Madden NFL 2005 cover athlete Ray Lewis several days before EA Sports announced it.

Now it appears they may have broken one of the biggest rumors in the game industry's history.

The May 3 issue of the Journal contained a story with the headline "EA set to pay Players Inc. $1 billion." According to the article, Electronic Arts is in final negotiations with Players Inc., the NFL Players Association marketing arm, to exclusively license all NFL player rights for the next four years. The Journal set the price tag of the deal at $250 million each year, which EA would pay Players Inc.; in other words, a literal billion-dollar contract.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:24 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
On another forum I frequent I saw this post from EASO Nathan, the producer on Madden series:

Guys,

The crew at Tiburon are just as dedicated to making the best football game possible.

Both the NFL and the Player's Association are expecting a lot from us as well. Innovation and game play will not suffer.

--------------------

EA SPORTS Community Producer
http://www.easports.com/online
I am sure he believes that and that everyone at Tiburon WILL try to make the game better each year. But I also suspect EA will not supply them with the R&D money or personel year over year to get anything but minor improvements made.

Just because I want to build a cathedral... even if I have the know how doesn't mean I can. I still need the tools, labor, and supplies. EA is going to cut all that out after the first years release of the new console Madden games.

Madden 2005 online record
Old 12-15-2004, 12:33 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev5890
The funny thing is that EA says its always working so hard when when it gives us the same game over again.

I bet you any money there saying " what way can we make the fans think we added so much?, we will add one feature and that will be a button that makes madden shut up. And we will make a new shiny cover!"

"BACK TO SLEEP GUYS"

Now THAT'S Funny!!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #32
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
On another forum I frequent I saw this post from EASO Nathan, the producer on Madden series:

==

Guys,

I have been going to the various fan sites reading the reactions to this news. I have been making basically the same post to all the forums. The main thing I have been saying is not to worry about the game quality going down hill.

The crew at Tiburon are just as dedicated to making the best football game possible.

EA didn't do this a reaction to Sega or any other developer. The NFL and Player's Association went to several different developers wanting to ink an exclusive deal. We have an excellent relationship with these two groups (e.g. 15 years of making Madden) and they went with us.

Both the NFL and the Player's Association are expecting a lot from us as well. Innovation and game play will not suffer.

--------------------

EA SPORTS Community Producer
http://www.easports.com/online
ODogg, I'm sure this is legit- but can you private me and let me know where Nathan posted? (i.e. what site.)

Thanks man.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »