Home

Pros and cons?

This is a discussion on Pros and cons? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Pros and cons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsmanTO
PRO: use of the NFL NETWORK license and NFL FILMS

CON: higher price for the game, a decrease in motivation and innovation,
Did EA raise the price on NASCAR, FIFA, or PGA? No. So why would they on the NFL game
Old 12-14-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Because NFL games are the companies biggest business by far (40 million copies in 15 years). The reason that a soccer game isn't 70 bucks is because no one in this country would buy it...check out the article on cnn.com in the money section. EA themselves call Madden "a premuim brand" and acknowldege that their pricing next year will reflect that.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:54 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

CON: Fans of NFL Licensed video games are FORCED to accept 1 style of gameplay for their NFL game. Whether it is good or bad is not the point. Forcing people to accept one style is the point. The will and choice of the fan has been nullified in choosing their style of gameplay. The will and choices of the few has trumphed and nullfied the will prospective choice of the many.

No competition - healthy competition has always been a good thing for those involved. But now that I think about it, maybe MS Sports division and 989 already knew this would happen and that's why they sat out. We never heard anything from 989, but earlier this year the speculation ended as to whether FEVER would come back. The answer was it's done. It's finished.

PRO: No rush to get games out. More time to fix bugs. Gives you ample time to enjoy NCAA, if it is an enjoyable game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2004, 04:55 PM   #12
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwgbtime
Because NFL games are the companies biggest business by far (40 million copies in 15 years). The reason that a soccer game isn't 70 bucks is because no one in this country would buy it...check out the article on cnn.com in the money section. EA themselves call Madden "a premuim brand" and acknowldege that their pricing next year will reflect that.

How many people would really pay $70 for a football game? Casual gamers wouldn't. I love Madden and I wouldn't.

I think that the price will go back up to $49.99 right in line with most other new games. Maybe even mid 50's but you would lose a lot of sales if you tried to sell it for $70.

Besides that, after paying 300 million for the license plus they can't afford to lose sales becasue they are charging $70.

I am betting ESPN still makes a game and adds a lot of user creation ability. Plus they can keep the price down because they won't have to pay for the NFL License. Maybe not $19.99 again but less than $30.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:07 PM   #13
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplaya2023
why does everyone think EA is gonna automatically raise the price of the game up???? If thats the case then microsoft would make halo 70$ because u can only get it on Xbox and its only made by microsoft. People would still buy halo. But 49.99 is price driven to move product
Bad analogy. Halo 2 isn't the only FPS available, but Madden will be the only licensed NFL video game product available on the market.

If you want to use the Chiefs, play at Arrowhead, and see a virtual Priest Holmes you will have to buy Madden. IMO there is no bigger selling point to the casual gamer than that. I don't think EA would raise the price next year but if they wanted to and you wanted the NFL teams, logos, etc. you would have no choice but to pay whatever the price they set for it.

Madden did not drop their price this year because they were concerned about saving their fanbase cash. They did it because they saw that ESPN was moving units and cutting into their market share. ESPN dropped their price to increase market share and gain recognition on the market. Does anyone recall when the EA rep responded to VC's announced price drop by saying "you get what you pay for"? What did this rep have to say when Madden dropped 20 bucks? Did EA come to the conclusion that they were overcharging their fanbase or something? They did it in order to compete with ESPN. This worked out great for all gamers.

EA makes quality games for the most part imo. I think they are a smart, dependable company. I don't think people believe EA will start tanking the franchise, I think people are more upset that the driving force of the sports game industry-competition-may slowly deteriorate. I don't hate EA as much after thinking about it for a day or so as I feel the NFL and the NFLPA are more at fault. EA did what they needed to ensure that they were able to produce an authentic NFL game for their company/fans.

Couldn't the NFL have charged a higher flat rate to all game companies instead(like 40-60million for 5 years license use) enabling all companies to compete and develop their renditions of the game as long as they can afford it? I liked having choices in the past. While some may argue that everyone had an equal shot at it, it's safe to assume that no one beside MS could have outbid EA.

I just hope this doesn't lead to one MLB baseball game, one NHL hockey game, one college/NBA game.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 12-14-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:15 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishFly
Pros: Window for innovation and improvement without the cloud of competition looming.

What do you guys think?

Innovation and improvement are driven by competition--not the lack thereof.

If some of you cats really think we are going to get a better product because there may now be no competition...pass me what you all are smoking.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:03 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
Innovation and improvement are driven by competition--not the lack thereof.

If some of you cats really think we are going to get a better product because there may now be no competition...pass me what you all are smoking.
I think EA has to make a much better game.. Look at the pressure on EA.. They are the only pro football game in town.. They must try to win over the 2k5 fans & some Madden fans that are angry about this move.. I hope EA uses the NFL audio & film library in their 06 game.. Could be better then some ppl think.. Still, the graphics & EA porting the game over to the Xbox is a bummer.. VC always put in such detail to thier title.. I hope EA can make Maddn 06 a great title..
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »