Home

EA NFL deal= We will pay to play online!?

This is a discussion on EA NFL deal= We will pay to play online!? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2004, 12:22 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
EA NFL deal= We will pay to play online!?

This is where EA can really screw us. Whats going to stop then from charging a pay to play online fee.They could charge what ever they want for us to play online.And come on people EA's online isn't that good now.They could makes us pay to download updated rosters.And don't say they wouldn't because they would.The only NFL game around they are going to take full advantage of this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2004, 12:25 AM   #2
Rookie

ndxc2001's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: EA NFL deal= We will pay to play online!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybry
This is where EA can really screw us. Whats going to stop then from charging a pay to play online fee.They could charge what ever they want for us to play online.And come on people EA's online isn't that good now.They could makes us pay to download updated rosters.And don't say they wouldn't because they would.The only NFL game around they are going to take full advantage of this.
You might as well go out and buy an XBOX, we've already had to pay for it, and you might as well get the better graphics for the game if you're gonna have to pay to play online.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:29 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 31

This is exactly what I'm thinking too.

The overall price for the game won't go much higher than $50, but they'll really stick it to consumers with various online fees.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndxc2001
You might as well go out and buy an XBOX, we've already had to pay for it, and you might as well get the better graphics for the game if you're gonna have to pay to play online.

I do have a xbox and on ps3 sony will more then likely have something similar to xbox live.EA can still makes pay to play even with us already paying for xbox live.Ea has control of that situation because of the NFL deal they can hold this over microsoft and sony heads
Old 12-16-2004, 01:22 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Where's it written that EA has to setup servers and provide you free online entertainment is what I'd like to know.. There's nothing outrageous or ridiculious if they charge us. If it's worth it to you then pay it, if it's not, don't pay it and simply don't go online. It's pretty simple really. I guess people want to live in a free, capitalistic society until it's something they don't like, then they cry foul..geesh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2004, 01:33 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Where's it written that EA has to setup servers and provide you free online entertainment is what I'd like to know.. There's nothing outrageous or ridiculious if they charge us. If it's worth it to you then pay it, if it's not, don't pay it and simply don't go online. It's pretty simple really. I guess people want to live in a free, capitalistic society until it's something they don't like, then they cry foul..geesh.
Well, since you have already payed for the game...

I can understand offering a premium service, but doing something like charging for the bare minimum of online play (which I can see happening) would be simply rediculous.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:48 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunk880
Well, since you have already payed for the game...

I can understand offering a premium service, but doing something like charging for the bare minimum of online play (which I can see happening) would be simply rediculous.
You paid for the game yes but the game can be played quite extensively without going online, it's not an online only game. Think back through the years, long before online play was even a factor and Madden was still $49.95. They never upped the price when online play became a factor to account for their investment in it.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not eager to pay these companies either and hope they do not add extra fees but I think alot of people just think of themselves and the fact they don't want to pay and never see the big picture. The reality is that EA and other companies that make us games do not owe us anything and especially do not owe us the added entertainment that online brings. The other thing to think about is that now with EA being in the position they are, if people do not want to pay for online and really would not pay for it then EA could always drop online play entirely, why wouldn't they because if it's not profitable and in fact is a loss factor for them then they would be stupid to keep it in the game from a business perspective.

We should all hope that EA does not charge extra for online play and instead continue to do some deal with 3rd party ads or something but at the same time this whole attitude of "they BETTER give us free online play" and that whole line of "can you believe they'd have the gall to charge us???" thinking just makes no real sense and frankly comes across as quite childish and narcissistic. The alternative to them not charging for online play and simply dropping it entirely is much scarier to me and should be to all of you.

Last edited by ODogg; 12-16-2004 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:48 AM   #8
Rookie

MrTennessee's Arena

OVR: 3

they should have in their contract a no "cheese" clause.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »