Home

PDA Symbols (Gameplanning) and Signing Restricted Free Agents

This is a discussion on PDA Symbols (Gameplanning) and Signing Restricted Free Agents within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2004, 11:25 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
PDA Symbols (Gameplanning) and Signing Restricted Free Agents

Hello all,

Just getting back into the swing of Madden after playing NFL 2k5 for awhile.

Two questions:

1) When gameplanning for an opponent, what do the PDA symbols represent when viewing the opponents various rankings? Specifically, the last one that looks like a present with a bow on the top.

2) What exactly am I being asked to do when coming to the Restricted Free agency section of the off-season menu? From what I understand, a restricted free agent is a player who I can keep as long as I choose to match an offer that he gets from another team, right? So how does this play into this particular screen where I seem to be choosing a specific dollar amount for one year in order to keep him?

Any insight you can provide would be great. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: PDA Symbols (Gameplanning) and Signing Restricted Free Agents

I don't know the answer to #1 to be honest, and there are several more interface questions I have that nobody seems to have posted an answer to...either the questions were too stupid to ask in the first place (meaning I'm dumb) or people think they are stupid questions but everyone's afraid to ask.

Anyway, the answer to #2 is pretty simple though the game takes no pains to actually explain this to anyone, so here are the free agency guidelines from KFFL.com.

Quote:
» Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA) - Players with four years or more of NFL experience who can sign with their own team or any other team in the NFL. If they leave their previous team the team that signs them can do so without having to award the previous team compensation.

» Restricted Free Agents (RFA) - Players with three years of NFL experience. Like an unrestricted free agent they are free to negotiate with any team however the current team has the right to match any offer and if they do so they retain the rights to the player. Failure to meet the offer means the player is awarded to the new team but the new team must give the old team compensation in the form of draft picks.

» Exclusive-Rights Free Agents (ERFA) - Players with two or fewer years of experience who have no outside negotiating power. Their rights belong to their previous club provided they are made a minimum qualifying offer.

» Franchise Free Agents (FFA) - Unrestricted free agents who have been designated as the "Franchise" player. Current team has the right to match any offer. If they refuse they are given compensation by the new team the player has signed to play for.

» Transitional Free Agents (TFA) - Players who can negotiate with any club but current team retains matching rights.
I believe that neither ERFA nor TFA exist in Madden 2005. At any rate, the offer you give the player in the RFA screen is a "qualifying" one. If you don't make it, you stand the chance of losing the player altogether, but you'll get stuff in return.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

The answer to #1 as far as I know:
The first symbol, ball flying through the air is the team's offensive passing rank. The second symbol, ball being hiked is team's offensive rushing rank. The third symbol, a fence or something is their overall defensive rank. The fourth symbol, the present, I think is their special teams rank or something. Not positive
Old 12-30-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
Sweettouch

Dame's Arena

OVR: 19

I also agree with the person above i think the last symbol stands for special teams
Old 01-06-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Actually I think it is the turnover differential.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
Rookie

didy's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg325
The answer to #1 as far as I know:
The first symbol, ball flying through the air is the team's offensive passing rank. The second symbol, ball being hiked is team's offensive rushing rank. The third symbol, a fence or something is their overall defensive rank. The fourth symbol, the present, I think is their special teams rank or something. Not positive
i think this is 100% right however best way to find out for sure is to go into the statistics and then check your teams ratings and then you compare the ratings to the PDA symbols, this way you will know for sure anyhow thats how i found out, but heavnt played madden for a while so i cant remember for sure.

Last edited by didy; 01-06-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

IIRC, the "present" symbol represents where that team ranks in giving "gifts" (i.e. takeaways - giveaways). Higher #'s (20's & 30's) mean your opponent is very "generous".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »