Home

Does Anyone Realize How Far Behind EA Is In Football?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone Realize How Far Behind EA Is In Football? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #9
Rookie

MrTennessee's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Does Anyone Realize How Far Behind EA Is In Football?

the perfect game would be: take sega's running game, maddens passing game and D sega's presentation and Ea's depth in the franchise and that would be it for me.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTennessee
the perfect game would be: take sega's running game, maddens passing game and D sega's presentation and Ea's depth in the franchise and that would be it for me.
110% agreed!!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 13

Okay, first off I own Madden and ESPN and I like both games a lot. I prefer Madden a little more, but that does not stop me from ESPN at all. Both games are quite good and BOTH games have there downs. I will mostly defend Madden in this post because you have defended ESPN, so I will make it even.

First, I will start with the gameplay.
-First off, I just want to say that in ESPN, the moves/animations with tackles, breaking tackles, etc. are all beatiful (spl), but every thing else is ugly in terms of the ball carrier. The running with the ball is not only slow but jerky and just doesn't look realistic.
-In ESPN your players that cut across the middle of the field are always wide open. You get super money plays when an inside WR slants across the middle. And it really gets annoying in two-player when every time your opponent passes the ball, its across the middle for a first down (probablly) every time no matter what defense you play.
-You can easily run 100+ yards with Kyle Boller every game. Now, I'm not saying Boller can't run, but COME ON. The defense doesn't even notice that the opposing QB is running up the field and continues to cover there man even far after the QB crosses the line of scrimmage.
-And to add to the QB running, there are no fumbles. Especially by QB's. And if there is a fumble its not cause of a hard hit or a bad toss or a bad snap or the weather. It's just random. I've had WR's running down the field and they just drop the ball.
-And compared to Madden, playing in the secondarery just feels like you have no control.
-Also, although i love the running game in ESPN, in a way Madden's is more realistic. In madden you have to try and avoid defenders and shoot through the holes. In ESPN you can use your moves, mainly shoulder charge to plow through the defense.
Off the field, ESPN's franchise isn't even close. Maddens plows it away in almost every category and I'm not even going to talk about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2005, 10:57 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Yuhas
Okay, first off I own Madden and ESPN and I like both games a lot. I prefer Madden a little more, but that does not stop me from ESPN at all. Both games are quite good and BOTH games have there downs. I will mostly defend Madden in this post because you have defended ESPN, so I will make it even.

-First off, I just want to say that in ESPN, the moves/animations with tackles, breaking tackles, etc. are all beatiful (spl), but every thing else is ugly in terms of the ball carrier. The running with the ball is not only slow but jerky and just doesn't look realistic.
-In ESPN your players that cut across the middle of the field are always wide open. You get super money plays when an inside WR slants across the middle. And it really gets annoying in two-player when every time your opponent passes the ball, its across the middle for a first down (probablly) every time no matter what defense you play.
-You can easily run 100+ yards with Kyle Boller every game. Now, I'm not saying Boller can't run, but COME ON. The defense doesn't even notice that the opposing QB is running up the field and continues to cover there man even far after the QB crosses the line of scrimmage.
-And to add to the QB running, there are no fumbles. Especially by QB's. And if there is a fumble its not cause of a hard hit or a bad toss or a bad snap or the weather. It's just random. I've had WR's running down the field and they just drop the ball.
-And compared to Madden, playing in the secondarery just feels like you have no control.
-Also, although i love the running game in ESPN, in a way Madden's is more realistic. In madden you have to try and avoid defenders and shoot through the holes. In ESPN you can use your moves, mainly shoulder charge to plow through the defense.
Off the field, ESPN's franchise isn't even close. Maddens plows it away in almost every category and I'm not even going to talk about it.

Now that is the way I feel....

Madden was a better game....But ESPN was good but too many bugs
Old 01-18-2005, 12:18 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Yuhas

Never thought I'd hear a Pittsburgh fan diss ESPN! (I'm from the 'Burgh)...

Most of my criticism of Madden is just my opinion. The game sells well for many reasons, mainly because it has been out for 15 yrs and has name recognition. But I don't think there is any doubt that Madden changes slowly in terms of innovation. Yes, I agree, Madden is superior in Franchise and other additions...but I work alot and never have time for Franchise Mode so I could not tell you one thing about either game in that regard other than at first glance, Madden is deeper.

I'm an XBOX owner and Madden is ported over. The graphics are inferior to ESPN's since ESPN was built for the XBOX. Also, Madden's passing is 100% computer controlled and you cannot Max Pass like in ESPN. Very little skill involved here...just wing it! Madden does not have the shoulder charge...but in the NFL, people do charge, so ESPN is not being unrealistic here. Madden has that skippy-do juke and wide spin which does not lead to SIM play to well. I was online playing Madden and a guy spun 4 times across the width of the field and ran it in.

Although I prefer ESPN, I'm not a fanboy as you say. I gave Madden a chance 4 years straight and still own 2005, but I just don't like it and cannot see investing $300.00 in a new console just to play a football game I don't like.

As for glitches...any corner route in Madden is 100% butter!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:47 AM   #14
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTennessee
I suppose they will be halfway there now that they'll have espn presentation elements/personailities and properties to accompany the depth in franchise mode. Endless possibilities there IMO....espn magazine, sportscenter, draft, nfl matchup, etc.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:07 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdump66
As for glitches...any corner route in Madden is 100% butter!
Not if you have Jesus disguised as Artrell Hawkins playing cornerback......

In other words, I find damn near anything far from money on Madden 2005, when playing on All-Madden, anyway. That was probably the 2002 and 2001 version that those corner routes (especially that Singleback-Normal play "Corners") was money.

They just turn everyone, from Champ Bailey to Carey Scott to Steve Bellisari into Jesus playing DB, which is my beef.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2005, 07:02 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
I suppose they will be halfway there now that they'll have espn presentation elements/personailities and properties to accompany the depth in franchise mode. Endless possibilities there IMO....espn magazine, sportscenter, draft, nfl matchup, etc.
I have a JOB and other games I play. I'm not going to waste time in franchise mode. Online play is where it's at. ESPN wins there IMO

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »