Home

How can EA dare to claim the game will improve even with the exclusive rights?

This is a discussion on How can EA dare to claim the game will improve even with the exclusive rights? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2005, 02:30 PM   #33
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: How can EA dare to claim the game will improve even with the exclusive rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I would love for a sport site to interview someone from Tiburon. Just off the record and here what they think about the deal. What did they get from this deal, basicly nothing. They already had NFL license and they didnt really need the ESPN deal. What they needed was more staff to help to develp their game but that wont happen now because EA wont spend more because of these deals.
There arent too many things improve in life without competition.
...ok. Deep breath. One last try.

The facts don't support your postion. I keep bringing up the NASCAR Thunder series because that situation mirrors this one. It is published by the same EA that so many of you are convinced is going quit trying to improve the Madden franchise, and it has gotten significantly better since they obtained an exclusive deal in 2003.

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exere...3B862021D3.htm

Quote:
Diehards will pick up this game just to tweak the gear ratios or to get the year’s driver update. But to get everyone else interested, developer EA Tiburon has gone far beyond a simple roster expansion. By making its career mode even more complex, it has succeeded in giving players of all stripes quite a bit to chew on....Diehard NASCAR gearheads won’t forgive EA for pushing Papyrus and Monster Games out of the market, but this is a game that is strong in almost every department, with something to offer everyone. -KATO
It is not a given that an exclusive license means no incentive to improve.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: How can EA dare to claim the game will improve even with the exclusive rights?

People that love Madden believe that EA has been making great improvements every year. People who wanted something different believe that EA doesn't do much to Madden every year. Of course EA says that the game will improve. It would be very dumb for them to say otherwise. When they say that these deals will allow them to make better games, it makes no sense. The exclusive deals have nothing to do with gameplay. Companies are in business to make money. With these exclusive deals, EA has added a lot to the cost of the game. How much are they going to spend for R&D? How much of the development will be for gameplay? Will the so called improvements be implementing of ESPN, having an NFL Total Acess show, i.e. fluff. Fortunately, for me, I know someone who is definitely going to buy the next Madden and each one after that. I will be able to play it without spending any money. If I like it, I'll buy it. If I think that it is garbage, I won't buy it. I don't like the fact that I won't have a choice of NFL video games but I won't be forced into buying something that I think is junk.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:01 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
...ok. Deep breath. One last try.

The facts don't support your postion. I keep bringing up the NASCAR Thunder series because that situation mirrors this one. It is published by the same EA that so many of you are convinced is going quit trying to improve the Madden franchise, and it has gotten significantly better since they obtained an exclusive deal in 2003.

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exere...3B862021D3.htm

It is not a given that an exclusive license means no incentive to improve.
Dont hurt your head on the bricks. What type of development and innovation those other developers could have brought to the NASCAR series in the last 3 years. The competitors was clearly years ahead of EA and it took EA 3 years to catch up.

I like Madden. Own Madden. I just expect more from the series. Not saying Madden isnt a good game but with the amount of money Madden brings to EA I dont think EA invest enough resouces in the game. Now with all these deals I think EA will invest less into their products.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
The reason why it seems like they don't improve much every year is because the game remains on the same engine. They don't do a new engine year in and year out. They add to the existing one. Once they get the new engine out, then it will be significantly better than what they have out now and that's improvement.
What engine the 2k5 engine is using now. I remember when the 2k series didnt have gang tackling. It just seem like 2k series and the Ncaa series added more to their existing engine than the madden team.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #37
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
What engine the 2k5 engine is using now. I remember when the 2k series didnt have gang tackling. It just seem like 2k series and the Ncaa series added more to their existing engine than the madden team.
I think they made a new engine when they did 2k4 but I'm not sure.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:33 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli
There isnt any info on this game yet and you are already talking, atlease WAIT till theres information on the game to talk, or just get over it already.
Well sh1t man, can you blame the thread poster for saying that? I mean look at Madden since it came onto the ps2 console..its been the same game 4 years in a row...geezus, and THATS WITH competition. Now there isnt any...

He's right...EA has somethig to prove this time.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
A company dont spend over a billion dollars on NFL/ESPN deal to a make a product better. They did it to kill competition and control development cost. What if EA said they are investing 200 million dollars in research and development for their games. Now that would have been a good thing. I respect diffrent opinions on this issues but I dont think people understand how bad this could be for folks that take sport gaming seriously. This is really bad.

I would love for a sport site to interview someone from Tiburon. Just off the record and here what they think about the deal. What did they get from this deal, basicly nothing. They already had NFL license and they didnt really need the ESPN deal. What they needed was more staff to help to develp their game but that wont happen now because EA wont spend more because of these deals.
There arent too many things improve in life without competition.
Wow Grunt, I think we might have actually found some common ground. You're at least one person whos in touch with reality and not into the "wishful thinking" mode. Since Im assuming most of the people on this board are men (boys for some of you) let me put it into a more interesting perspective. Why do we as guys (at least some of us) make a consious effort to take care of our bodies? To work out, improve our bodies, take care of our looks, appearence etc. Why? Becuase we like women and there is competition for them. If I could push a button and get rid of every other man on the planet I could stop going to the gym, eat all the Pappa Johns pizza and Guiness I want, put on another 100lbs from sitting on my now fat butt playing video games and STILL have women knocking on my door. Now I could still go to the gym and keep my six pack and my charming good looks (stop laughing people lol)..but why? Thats too much work. It would be easier to just push the button and elimiate my competiton (men who look better than me or all other men period). Then I dont have to improve and put any effort into being apleaing to women. I will be the only show in town. Sure women might turn lesbian, but some will still want me because I got rid of all the Bradd Pitts of the world.

So what makes people think that EA is going to NOW put forth effort to imporve thier game? They havent been doing it when there WAS fierce competition just like my man Grunt said. Now since there is no other option for people and EA knows it, why should they sink more money into a product that's gonna fly off the shelves wether they revolutionize it or leave it as the updated roster outdated everything else title that it has been for years? Why do that? If I was an executive at EA I think id rather have another 50,000 dollars added to my bonus (from not spending the money to improve the game) than be without that so you can have a really good game. PEOPLE WAKE UP! Jesus, some of you make me want to cry out of pity.

Last edited by blackceasar; 01-24-2005 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-24-2005, 06:43 PM   #40
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
Wow Grunt, I think we might have actually found some common ground. You're at least one person whos in touch with reality and not into the "wishful thinking" mode. Since Im assuming most of the people on this board are men (boys for some of you) let me put it into a more interesting perspective. Why do we as guys (at least some of us) make a consious effort to take care of our bodies? To work out, improve our bodies, take care of our looks, appearence etc. Why? Becuase we like women and there is competition for them. If I could push a button and get rid of every other man on the planet I could stop going to the gym, eat all the Pappa Johns pizza and Guiness I want, put on another 100lbs from sitting on my now fat butt playing video games and STILL have women knocking on my door. Now I could still go to the gym and keep my six pack and my charming good looks (stop laughing people lol)..but why? Thats too much work. It would be easier to just push the button and elimiate my competiton (men who look better than me or all other men period). Then I dont have to improve and put any effort into being apleaing to women. I will be the only show in town. Sure women might turn lesbian, but some will still want me because I got rid of all the Bradd Pitts of the world.

So what makes people think that EA is going to NOW put forth effort to imporve thier game? They havent been doing it when there WAS fierce competition just like my man Grunt said. Now since there is no other option for people and EA knows it, why should they sink more money into a product that's gonna fly off the shelves wether they revolutionize it or leave it as the updated roster outdated everything else title that it has been for years? Why do that? If I was an executive at EA I think id rather have another 50,000 dollars added to my bonus (from not spending the money to improve the game) than be without that so you can have a really good game. PEOPLE WAKE UP! Jesus, some of you make me want to cry out of pity.
Save your pity. My refusal to give in to the pessimism of the scorned 2k5 fan point of view is based on observing EA's previous response to obtaining an exclusive license with a major sports league. i.e. factual evidence. Your "why should they bother" attitude is based solely on an interpretation of the direction of the Madden series. Just because a bunch of people say "Madden hasn't changed since 2002" doesn't make it true.

Imo anyone who says that the Madden hasn't improved from 2002 to now simply doesn't know what they are talking about. Is it perfect? No. Are there still some things that drive me nuts? Definitely. But Madden 2005 is a much better game than 2002. For that reason, I can't share your doom and gloom view of this. Sorry.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »