Home

Did you guys watch the Madden Challenge Finals on G4TTV?

This is a discussion on Did you guys watch the Madden Challenge Finals on G4TTV? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10
Did you guys watch the Madden Challenge Finals on G4TTV?

It was ridiculous, a joke, magnified 5,000 times. These players, and I hesitate to even call them that, cheesed every single play. Every kickoff was onsides, every pass was a bomb, every run was a rollout the QB play, and none of these people played anything resembling a sim like game. I see so much of this online, with every type of game, and now I see why. Its easier to win with cheese, which is basically gaming the game, cheating if you want to take it literally, than it is to play good defense, mix up your plays, and play to your teams strength.

This is why I hardly ever play any sports game online. Nobody wants to play like I do (sim like), because its all about winning, and doing whatever is necessary to do so. Whereas I play to have a good time, not to be #1 on the Madden/NCAA charts. Too bad this is ruining online gaming, but you really cant stop it. Why play a game you might lose, when you can just score at will with bombs thrown to the right person, and timed so that it ALWAYS works (I think you guys know what I am speaking of), or taking advantage of potential bugs so that I cant cover a player correctly.

Just wanted to share this, and maybe start a discussion (and hopefully find some other sim players on XBL that want to play with me), so that I can see others opinion on this issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
MVP

rpac44's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Did you guys watch the Madden Challenge Finals on G4TTV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasysportsguy
It was ridiculous, a joke, magnified 5,000 times. These players, and I hesitate to even call them that, cheesed every single play. Every kickoff was onsides, every pass was a bomb, every run was a rollout the QB play, and none of these people played anything resembling a sim like game. I see so much of this online, with every type of game, and now I see why. Its easier to win with cheese, which is basically gaming the game, cheating if you want to take it literally, than it is to play good defense, mix up your plays, and play to your teams strength.

This is why I hardly ever play any sports game online. Nobody wants to play like I do (sim like), because its all about winning, and doing whatever is necessary to do so. Whereas I play to have a good time, not to be #1 on the Madden/NCAA charts. Too bad this is ruining online gaming, but you really cant stop it. Why play a game you might lose, when you can just score at will with bombs thrown to the right person, and timed so that it ALWAYS works (I think you guys know what I am speaking of), or taking advantage of potential bugs so that I cant cover a player correctly.

Just wanted to share this, and maybe start a discussion (and hopefully find some other sim players on XBL that want to play with me), so that I can see others opinion on this issue.
agreed, ive never played a sports game online with somebody i dont know
NHL-Blackhawks
MLB-White Sox
EPL-Chelsea
Old 01-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #3
All Star

JohnnytheSkin's Arena

OVR: 33

I too concur. I watched some of the Madden events On Demand and laughed my arse off! Even my wife could see the cheese, and she rarely plays sports games with me. Hell, by the looks of it, there are only three teams in the game: Falcons, Eagles, and Vikings (gee, three mobile QB's).

I don't have a fast internet connection anymore (graduated college), and I wish I could play against a human more, unfortunately my wife isn't very skilled and work isn't conducive to gamers...but still, I like the thrill of Human v. Human. Then again, I can't regret much if all the online players cheese like the Madden Challenge kids.

By the way, did anyone see the Jacksonville show (I think) where some punk 14-year old in a Bulls jersey was cussing like a drunken sailor during his game with a dread locked dude, playing as the Redskins? Naturally the prick was the ATL dirty birds (quoted from J. "Wigger" Sparks on G4).
Old 01-30-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
Pro

crob8822's Arena

OVR: 8

Hey guys, I agree with what you said, but you have to think alot of those guys play that game day in and out while alot of us working people play for the recreational fun and enjoy running our own franchise leagues. I played in the madden challenge tournament in Los Angeles in 2002, I chose the cowboys and all of the top players laughed and said how stupid to take a team that finished at 5-11, but one guy said I had alot of guts, I told him I was just playing for the fun of it.
Everyone was taking the St Louis Rams, I saw several games where both players picked the Rams, Last year it was the Falcons. I would like to see the madden challenge to have a tournament in coach mode and have the rules where you both cannot have the same team. example if both wanted the rams they could have a coin toss with the loser taking the next best team of choice. I can say this to this years winner was the same guy who lost the 2003 tournament.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 11

"agreed, ive never played a sports game online with somebody i dont know"

That's the key...play who you know in most sports games and you will not get the cheeze! But when they offer the money...most will go for the cheeze.
Madden,espn..they are both tight games when you play someone you know...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
Go Ravens

ravensfan52's Arena

OVR: 3

I agree with you all but if you watched closley they were interviewing BigGene and he was like "I don't play football. I play madden. I play football when I am winning and trying to run clock." So he knows he isn't playing a regular game. Also think of the money on the line. for $50,000 I would cheese too.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:19 AM   #7
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdawg
I agree with you all but if you watched closley they were interviewing BigGene and he was like "I don't play football. I play madden. I play football when I am winning and trying to run clock." So he knows he isn't playing a regular game. Also think of the money on the line. for $50,000 I would cheese too.
Yeah, BUT, EA should structure the games, and Referee them, if you will, so that only realistic football gameplay is allowed. Sega did something similar to that, so that no cheese was allowed. EA easily could have done the same, and encouraged fair and sim like play, but they didnt.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 22

It was ridiculous..i would of been embarresed if i was EAsports. They should of set some kind of rules to this and THEY should of known better that sooner or later some dumb schmuck would be using cheese to win that money.

Next year they better solve this issue or im affraid Madden Challenge will be a joke

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »