Home

how do I stop the dime defense cheese?

This is a discussion on how do I stop the dime defense cheese? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2005, 04:56 PM   #17
Erv
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: how do I stop the dime defense cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceanity2k3
It's very simple.

-either check down to the RB's
-If you go 5 wide with no backs or tight ends to pass protect, you're done. You won't be able to stop their moronic blitzing. If you see them spread the D-Line and bring down the dime corners closer to the LOS, it means they are blitzing.
not always, they still have the bluff audible in the game.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:01 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I assumed crumpledHeap was playing Madden 2006.
Not back in February he wasn't.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:07 PM   #19
Pro

Dino's Arena

OVR: 6

two-words for running on Dime Defense.

"TRUCK STICK"
Old 08-15-2005, 08:31 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
The problem with the ease of stopping the run in Madden is that momentum, size, and strength do not matter when tackling the ball carrier. This has been a big problem since Madden 2001 and EA still has not fixed it yet and they probably won't fix it for the XBOX 360 version either. The tackling and tackling animations are very poor compared to NFL 2K5.
Yes it has been a problem. And as a 2k fan I'm going on record to say that VC didn't do it right either. While RB's might fall to easily in madden; Defenders get ran over too easily in ESPN. Tackling is not always about size either. That's why John Lynch, Roy Williams and Brian Dawkins are perhaps the hardest hitters in the league. The thump of a tackle is predicated upon the velocity of the defender vs the velocity of the ball carrier. That's why a guy like Bdawk can tear a HB's head off WITHOUT help when he's coming free on a blitz in real life. By the time he crosses the line he's at full speed. The RB is just getting the ball. BDAWK is going to kill him EVERY time. In fact Stephen Davis knows this all too well as he got his neck snapped back on a hit by Dawkins. What developers need to take a look at is velocity of defender vs velocity of offensive player + the situation. Weight and all that stuff is secondary.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:47 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

why the hell are you guys resurrecting a 6 month old thread? this problem is a non issue in madden 06. formation shifts, o-line blocking shifts and other nice tricks render this version of cheese obsolete. just let this damn thread die already. play 06 and be happy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Yes it has been a problem. And as a 2k fan I'm going on record to say that VC didn't do it right either. While RB's might fall to easily in madden; Defenders get ran over too easily in ESPN. Tackling is not always about size either. That's why John Lynch, Roy Williams and Brian Dawkins are perhaps the hardest hitters in the league. The thump of a tackle is predicated upon the velocity of the defender vs the velocity of the ball carrier. That's why a guy like Bdawk can tear a HB's head off WITHOUT help when he's coming free on a blitz in real life. By the time he crosses the line he's at full speed. The RB is just getting the ball. BDAWK is going to kill him EVERY time. In fact Stephen Davis knows this all too well as he got his neck snapped back on a hit by Dawkins. What developers need to take a look at is velocity of defender vs velocity of offensive player + the situation. Weight and all that stuff is secondary.

momentum = velocity * mass

So the size or mass and the speed matter.

Last edited by LIGHTNING; 08-15-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
momentum = velocity * mass

So the size or mass and the speed matter.
Size doesn't always tell the tale man. I said speed does that's what I mean by velocity. How else are smaller guys knocking the hell out of larger ones in real life. It's because of the velocity. And velocity and momentum are not equivocated in this sense. Velocity refers to the speed at which the defender and ball carrier are traveling. Momentum is the measure of velocity and mass. Thus it is not the same thing although it may be entailed in it. So when you take a scenario, like a back just receiving the handoff and a guy blitzing from 10 to 12 yards deep and by the time he hits the LOS he's at full speed, who's going to win? It's not even a question. The RB's is not at top speed. The velocity of the defender allows him to plant the RB in the dirt no matter his size. How else do you think Steve Atwater destroyed and retired the Nigerian Nightmare. It sure as hell wasn't size. It was the speed at which Atwater was moving vs the speed at which Okoye was moving. Atwater was at full speed Okoye was not. Atwater was only 220 lbs. Christian Okoye was 260 + lbs. Now if it was just size and if size was such a big factor Atwater should have had no chance in hell. But he hit Okoye and not only did Okoye go down, he went BACKWARDS.

Last edited by LBzrule; 08-15-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #24
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Size doesn't always tell the tale man. I said speed does that's what I mean by velocity. How else are smaller guys knocking the hell out of larger ones in real life. It's because of the velocity. And velocity and momentum are not equivocated in this sense. Velocity refers to the speed at which the defender and ball carrier are traveling. Momentum is the measure of velocity and mass. Thus it is not the same thing although it may be entailed in it. So when you take a scenario, like a back just receiving the handoff and a guy blitzing from 10 to 12 yards deep and by the time he hits the LOS he's at full speed, who's going to win? It's not even a question. The RB's is not at top speed. The velocity of the defender allows him to plant the RB in the dirt no matter his size. How else do you think Steve Atwater destroyed and retired the Nigerian Nightmare. It sure as hell wasn't size. It was the speed at which Atwater was moving vs the speed at which Okoye was moving. Atwater was at full speed Okoye was not. Atwater was only 220 lbs. Christian Okoye was 260 + lbs. Now if it was just size and if size was such a big factor Atwater should have had no chance in hell. But he hit Okoye and not only did Okoye go down, he went BACKWARDS.

Mass is important because a larger player will have more momentum at the same velocity. The location of the collision realitive to the center of mass of the players is also important. I am not saying that speed is not important, but it is momentum not just speed that determines the direction and velocity of the combined mass after collision.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »