Home

The Best Possible Improvement for Gameplay on Madden

This is a discussion on The Best Possible Improvement for Gameplay on Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
The Best Possible Improvement for Gameplay on Madden

Just as an idea i would like to see others opinions

Madden needs to get rid of the Awareness attribute. If you think about it, as far as i can tell the atribute for awareness (AWR) is a modifier for every critical atribute at every position, it is the reason why DBs cover so well (Arrrggh) why D lineman always seem to move off of their blocks at the perfect time to make a play (especially in NCAA), it is why QBs can make certain throws (when your not playing with them) etc etc.

But truthfully there needs to be like at least half a dozen more atributes for players that are specific for every position. This will seperate the decent players from the good ones, from the great ones. It will help gamers feel less cheated when cpu controlled players make the inhuman plays that they can tend to make. Im tired of Ahmad Carrol blanketing Randy Moss, or average CBs Blanketing Elite wideouts in general.

Hopefully since Madden has basically wiped out ESPN Football they will grab a couple of their ideas for their attributes. Heres an example of the difference between the two

CB critical attributes for madden for an overall rating of maybe 90

Sp 88-99
Ag 88-99
Acc 88-99
cth 60-75
tck 55-80
awr 75-99
Jmp 75-99

ESPN with same rating

Sp 80-99
ag 80-99
cth 30-60
cvr 75-99 (Coverage)
rsp 45-70 (Run support)
tkl 40-70
con 60-99 (consistency
jmp 60-99
agg 15-99 (aggression)

Better yet lets do it for a good QB

Madden

spd 50-75
Thp 85-99
tha 85-99
Awr 75-99

ESPN

Spd 45-75
Thp 75-99
Tha 80-99
Cmp 75-99 (Composure
PRC 75-99 (Pass Read Coverage)
Ldr 75-99 (Leadership)
Scr 55-80 (Scramble)
Con 50-99 (Consistency)

Look how many abilities Awr accounts for, all be it Espn didnt do a great job of applying and implementing their attributes for in game play, but in theory they have a much more realistic system. It allows for there to be a true difference between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, Champ Bailey, and Fredd Smoot, Simeon Rice, and Ted Washington. Just an idea or hope.

Your opinions please
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: The Best Possible Improvement for Gameplay on Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
Just as an idea i would like to see others opinions

Madden needs to get rid of the Awareness attribute. If you think about it, as far as i can tell the atribute for awareness (AWR) is a modifier for every critical atribute at every position, it is the reason why DBs cover so well (Arrrggh) why D lineman always seem to move off of their blocks at the perfect time to make a play (especially in NCAA), it is why QBs can make certain throws (when your not playing with them) etc etc.

But truthfully there needs to be like at least half a dozen more atributes for players that are specific for every position. This will seperate the decent players from the good ones, from the great ones. It will help gamers feel less cheated when cpu controlled players make the inhuman plays that they can tend to make. Im tired of Ahmad Carrol blanketing Randy Moss, or average CBs Blanketing Elite wideouts in general.

Hopefully since Madden has basically wiped out ESPN Football they will grab a couple of their ideas for their attributes. Heres an example of the difference between the two

CB critical attributes for madden for an overall rating of maybe 90

Sp 88-99
Ag 88-99
Acc 88-99
cth 60-75
tck 55-80
awr 75-99
Jmp 75-99

ESPN with same rating

Sp 80-99
ag 80-99
cth 30-60
cvr 75-99 (Coverage)
rsp 45-70 (Run support)
tkl 40-70
con 60-99 (consistency
jmp 60-99
agg 15-99 (aggression)

Better yet lets do it for a good QB

Madden

spd 50-75
Thp 85-99
tha 85-99
Awr 75-99

ESPN

Spd 45-75
Thp 75-99
Tha 80-99
Cmp 75-99 (Composure
PRC 75-99 (Pass Read Coverage)
Ldr 75-99 (Leadership)
Scr 55-80 (Scramble)
Con 50-99 (Consistency)

Look how many abilities Awr accounts for, all be it Espn didnt do a great job of applying and implementing their attributes for in game play, but in theory they have a much more realistic system. It allows for there to be a true difference between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, Champ Bailey, and Fredd Smoot, Simeon Rice, and Ted Washington. Just an idea or hope.

Your opinions please
I agree and have said it on a couple of message boards. The rating system is not complex enough. That's why it makes it seem like all the defenses in madden play the same. They need a deeper attribute/rating system in the game to govern certain actions. I'm sorry, but if a WR runs great routes and has great speed and good hands vs a cb that has average coverage, average speed, that CB should be getting RAPED unless you help him out over the top. As it stands you can run one on one alot and he'll defend the pass every damn time.

The attributes should also govern what you will call, especially on defense. If you have sub par corners, you cannot play alot of aggressive man coverage or should not be allowed to get away with playing alot of aggressive man coverage.

I would say by far the things I want EA to impove on are running game including offensive line blocking, Ratings/attributes, tackling system and playbooks.

Last edited by LBzrule; 02-21-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

Definately true, They really need to borrow, well outright steal alot of the play mechanics from Espn, especially since its not like they will have any comp, but the blocking/running/tackling system in ESPN is far supperior, but that has less to do with game mechanics and more to do with graphics and animations. I hate when i see players do that goofy looking slide effect to make an animation happen ten yards away, it looks so unatural and i feel so cheated whenever it happens and it happens far too much.

Unfortunately we might be waiting till 2007 for that
Old 02-21-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Erv
MVP

OVR: 10

We'll see how long it takes them to do this, because this rating system they have is beyond atrocious.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

On a side note, has anyone ever set every players AWR rating to zero and then looked at how the stats play out?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 9

All are great ideas for improvements but you might as well throw all of them out the window considering EA has squashed the Comp with thier exclusive license. I wouldn't expect anything great until the consoles come out. And when that happens, I'm only expecting better graphics. It'll be the same old gameplay it has been for the last 5 years.

This is the first year I won't be axiously anticipating the new Madden release...probably won't even buy it unless they re-tool the gameplay mechanics and create a completely new feel (maybe throw in a passing cursor). This years effort was great and I love the game and I really don't see a need for a patched version next year...this one plays fine.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:30 PM   #7
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
the blocking/running/tackling system in ESPN is far supperior, but that has less to do with game mechanics and more to do with graphics and animations
What do you mean it has less to do with game mechanics? it has nothing at all to do with graphics,Maddens graphics are ok.I do agree with what you said it's more about the animations,Tiburon needs to add a TON more to give the ol/dl and the running game the upgrade it so dearly needs.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »