Home

EA could be in trouble

This is a discussion on EA could be in trouble within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #17
MVP

videobastard's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: EA could be in trouble

How can ea be in trouble when they have what they wanted, no competition. They care more about selling than what the gamers are feeling. They can release a similiar game to 2005 with gimmicks and a differnt cover athlete while selling millions again.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 13

EA's not in trouble, but I agree that it will be interesting to see what they do with Madden now that it's the only game in town. If it does not improve immensely, that truly will be sad.

I wouldn't have said that a few years back, but frankly, EA has set the bar very high (in my mind anyway) with MVP Baseball. It's the best sports videogame I ever have played, and if they put into Madden the type of resources MVP received when EA thought it was fighting for its share of the baseball market, Madden could be exceptional.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:41 PM   #19
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgcityClev
This is not to start some silly flame war, but this is what I see happening.

Only one football title to be released this year. Other than that silly NCAA Football, which has the same horrid gameplay as Madden. Now this is what's gonna happen.

You have a TON of angry ESPN Football fans forced to try Madden. Some even hoped for an NFL Blitz return. And an even smaller fanbase had eyes for a return of NFL Gameday. In order for EA to regain this fanbase, it has to do what Take 2 and VC has done the past 3 years.. ( give in to the fans, and create quality titles). Give them what they want. However, EA Sports is not into giving you anything. They are about money, and silliness to get by. EA knows that it's the most popular title, so it doesn't have to put forth efforts like the other Companies had to do to gain recognition. Which resulted in a strong, and arguably still, best title on the market in ESPN Football.

It's a different ballgame now, as all eyes are on Madden 2006. Every Madden Forum on the net is going to be at war, if EA releases another mockery as they did with Madden 2005. And I feel they will start to lose credibility if they DO NOT produce a quality title this year. Gaming fans will bash them beyond belief, rather than submit to the Madden Franchise again. I feel it's a lot of pressure on them. A great competitor is gone now, leaving EA Sports to make one hell of a football game, or not gaining ANYONE else to it's market. And therefore, losing more trust from hardcore gamers. Because eventually, the kids who claim it's so great still, yet have tons and tons of complaints and wishes for it to get better, will finally realize that EA is just not what they make themselves out to be.

I for one cannot wait until May, for E3 Week to see what lies ahead. I'm not hyped for Madden, not impressed by it's last 3 releases, and DO NOT feel EA is putting forth the effort right now to please the lost fanbase of the other titles. We will soon see.
I'm not sure if you will even pass 10 post's now, this is just dumb
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 03-21-2005, 06:04 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSparty
if they put into Madden the type of resources MVP received when EA thought it was fighting for its share of the baseball market, Madden could be exceptional.
I've sort of wondered that myself. I don't think EA put a ton of resources into MVP's development personally, because really it's not that different from last year's game. It's just more refined. It might be a *bit* unfair to compare improvements to the two (MVP & Madden) because MVP received the overhaul it needed from EA Canada 2-3 years ago. Tiburon is... Tiburon. Triple Play was in a horrible state and dictated something drastic being done if simply out of embarrassment. Madden's no where near in the state Triple Play was. If anything, WE'RE the ones that are in trouble, because sports gaming has been changed for the forseeable future. And not for the better. What happens in 5yrs if someone else gets the exclusive license and has to essentially start from scratch?

Either way, the original poster's observations were off track. Loyal fans is something EA has in abundance. Loyal and accepting. My personal feeling is that EA could mail in an effort this year; people will just look forward to 2007. Granted, many in the gaming community see EA in a bad light, but the only ways I see EA feeling any heat are:

- If VC and/or Midway are able to release kick-azz football games WITHOUT the license. Then you'll see some sweat.

- The players get too greedy and there's no collective bargaining agreement. Something I almost want to see, seeing as how everything is so gimme more money-centric right now.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:42 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 3

I'm kinda skeptical on how Madden is gonna do, but I'm still gonna reserve my copy like I do every year. The only thing I can say is "the jury is out."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2005, 07:40 PM   #22
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

EA in trouble??:y4: you cannot be serious,the only folks Ea are in trouble with is themselves.Why may you ask? because now the fine eye of detail will REALLY be focused on them.I really don't think they feel that releasing Madden with minor updates is going to cut it anymore.Ea is going to have to try to gain the following ESPN had,and based on what has taken place recently that won't be an easy feat.
I will be the first to admit I enjoyed the ESPN series starting with 2k3,after giving it a try because I was tired of how Madden played,but every year I would pick Madden up and play a couple seasons and always go back to ESPN (I know...for some folks it seems impossible to like both) because it provided more of a fun factor for me.
When it comes right down to it,I see alot of folks judging Madden 06 before it's even out! hell we haven't even seen any screens! until that time DON'T JUDGE! I'm sure the argument of Ea not changing now especially without competition will arise,well guess what??? YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT.
Thats the views I'm taking on this whole thing,I may or may not rent 06 based on what I see and some vids,and if I don't like it or it looks the same or whatever I'll pass,no big deal. Yes I'm still happy with 2k5,so ok Madden police you can arrest me now for enjoying BOTH games.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 03-21-2005, 11:13 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Here is what will happen. Madden will release on PS2 and the current XBOX in AUG 2005 (2006 version) that will be slighty upgraded from 2005's version, fixing some glitches and adding a few new features...

Madden 2006 will release for the Xenon (XBOX 2) in Q4 2005, and will feature the Next Gen Football game we are looking for. This will be the first time EA makes a Football Game for a Microsoft console first. Most people will be pleased with this.

Take 2 will release a "alternative" Football game for the XBOX & PS2.

All will be well as true Football gamers will buy both EA & Take 2's games....
Old 03-22-2005, 01:40 AM   #24
Rookie

supdog's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpdump66
Here is what will happen. Madden will release on PS2 and the current XBOX in AUG 2005 (2006 version) that will be slighty upgraded from 2005's version, fixing some glitches and adding a few new features...

Madden 2006 will release for the Xenon (XBOX 2) in Q4 2005, and will feature the Next Gen Football game we are looking for. This will be the first time EA makes a Football Game for a Microsoft console first. Most people will be pleased with this.

Take 2 will release a "alternative" Football game for the XBOX & PS2.

All will be well as true Football gamers will buy both EA & Take 2's games....
We wont see the true next gen Madden until 07, Madden 06 will still be a port from the P$2 on the Xbox360 with better graphics and maybe some added features.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »