Home

Article- The Screenshots Seen 'Round The World

This is a discussion on Article- The Screenshots Seen 'Round The World within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2005, 08:34 PM   #73
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Article- The Screenshots Seen 'Round The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I didn't make any excuses, I simply told it how it was. Both games have their pros and their cons, and I listed both as well. The fact that you can't see that you are seeing what you want to see, that is only Maddens flaws, is not my fault. And if you don't think Gameday runs slow then you must be going thru life in bullet time.
I don't think people are only seeing Madden's flaws ODogg. The thread is about why Madden's graphics have not improved as much over the years. If you can't see that they have not, then maybe you are only seeing what you want to see or............ you may just have a different opinion just like anyone we may not see eye to eye with.

Everyone knows that neither pro football game was perfect last year. Both games have issues but this thread isn't about 2k's QB Spy & Franchise issues or Madden's Super DB/LB/SS or 20yard drop backs. I think when these points are brought up, it is only done so in order to not acknowledge or attempt to divert attention away from what someone is saying which may be true. This thread is not about QB Spys and High flying defensemen.

The issue here is graphics. I personally don't think that Madden's graphics have shown as much improvement between Madden 2001-2005 in both player models and overall numbers of animations as compared to 2k's between versions 2k2-2k5 imo. This is certainly not a fact as different people see different things.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 04-15-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #74
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I don't think people are only seeing Madden's flaws ODogg. The thread is about why Madden's graphics have not improved as much over the years. If you can't see that they have not, then maybe you are only seeing what you want to see or............ you may just have a different opinion just like anyone we may not see eye to eye with.

Everyone knows that neither pro football game was perfect last year. Both games have issues but this thread isn't about 2k's QB Spy & Franchise issues or Madden's Super DB/LB/SS or 20yard drop backs. I think when these points are brought up, it is only done so in order to not acknowledge or attempt to divert attention away from what someone is saying which may be true. This thread is not about QB Spys and High flying defensemen.

The issue here is graphics. I personally don't think that Madden's graphics have shown as much improvement between Madden 2001-2005 in both player models and overall numbers of animations as compared to 2k's between versions 2k2-2k5 imo. This is certainly not a fact as different people see different things.
people...do you hear that sound???..................... yeah, that sound right there...its the hammer hitting the nail squarely on the head.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Damn, I knew I was forgetting something Thanks for the reminder lol
I wish they would do away with those also.
It's good to hear that about the QC lets hope all goes well.
I wouldn't be surprised to see these go away. With the microcharges coming in the next gen there is no need to see if you have also played NCAA before you can unlock some aspect of the game that you already payed for. Either they will be gone or you will be able to logon and buy a pack of Madden Cards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #76
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
people...do you hear that sound???..................... yeah, that sound right there...its the hammer hitting the nail squarely on the head.
For real. To me it does kind of speak to a bigger issue - just how much effort is being put into these games? It's almost sad to see people conditioning themselves to have LOWER expectations. I was watching some vids of MVP Baseball on the PSP, and it looks nearly identical to the PS2 version. Does that speak more to the talent of the people converting the game to the PSP, or to how much better the games might games look if EA developers were attempting to leverage the power of the XBox more? This "wait until next gen" mantra is just what I expected when I heard the exclusivity news, and EA's "promise" of making the effort to make the best football game possible is ringing really hollow right now.

Sorry, I was looking at the official Madden 2006 website. Judging by the news there, and reading some of the Madden site mods comments, I think EA really expected this news and the screenshots to wow people. To me, it's showing a real disconnect - they need to stop believing their own hype.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:29 PM   #77
MVP

OVR: 15

I really was expecting something better from EA graphically this year and I know everybody else has too. There's no excuse for EA to be slacking off again this year. I'm not too surprised either becasue of the fact that EA has no competition. I have an XBOX and it is very disappointing to see that this is all EA can do to their graphics. I bought ESPN 2K5 and the graphics made my jaw drop. They were the best I've ever seen. I just don't understand why EA can't improve their graphics year to year. Like someone else mentioned presentation wise it hasn't gotten any better. In ESPN 2K5 the presentation was great, the halftime show for its first year was brilliant. Why can't EA try to improve their presentation? I just don't understand why with every EA game that I play the graphics don't look as good as ESPN's. And all of this next gen talk needs to stop. Having basically the same graphics for 6 years now is unacceptable.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:44 PM   #78
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifiok25
There's no excuse for EA to be slacking off again this year. I'm not too surprised either becasue of the fact that EA has no competition. I have an XBOX and it is very disappointing to see that this is all EA can do to their graphics. I bought ESPN 2K5 and the graphics made my jaw drop. They were the best I've ever seen. I just don't understand why EA can't improve their graphics year to year.
That's the thing. I know they're (EA) isn't lazy, it's more an issue of trying to push the envelope. Without competition, there's no incentive to improve. They say they know the pressure is on them, but this initial news shows they have more of a business as usual approach. Obviously many fans will simply accept what's set before them, and make excuses when that product doesn't meet expectations. This year, it's "wait until next gen" (and 2006 isn't even out yet lol!). Same as it was last year unfortunately. Next year, it'll be "give them time to get used to the new systems". The year after that...
Old 04-16-2005, 02:55 PM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 1

I wish they would get rid of the stupid Madden Cards. They add very little to the game, and most people I know don't give a **** anyway.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #80
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

I know many of you saw me taking some shots last month when those who can't stand EA were saying they "knew" EA would do the same old thing. Meanwhile, I was saying "Everyone just wait and see before we get all upset." All kinds of stuff went down, arguments, etc.

But- at least graphically speaking- those pessimists appear to be correct. (Although I still ALWAYS say we should "waint and see" first.)

But from the still screenshots, I don't think there's any way around the fact that EA has taken several years off with the graphics. With the exception of adding a few more polygons to the shoulderpads and slightly (very slightly) touching up the definition on the faces- all EA has done is add some new textures to the jerseys to simulate shiny "dazzle knit" like many of the teams wear.

Graphically- EA is at a relative standstill. Its even worse when you throw in NCAA college football. How many re-releases of the 2001 engine?

Madden 2002, College football 2002, Madden 2003, College Football 2003, Madden 2004, College football 2004, Madden 2005, College Football 2005.

Eight.

Sad.

I was at least optomistic that seeing all the fan pressure and all the media heat EA was getting (EGM, GAMESPOT, forums everywhere) that they would at least hype up some new graphics/player models this year. But no.

Still they appear to be using the PS2 as their development kit, and merely porting it up to XBOX. Same old, same old, same old....

IF this was any other series, from any other non-sports genre, people would stop caring. But because football fans- such as me- are so hardcore, we buy it. EA had a chance to really respond to their critics this season, but it appears they have only added more fuel to the anti-EA fire. They should have seen this coming, really. I don't know how they couldn't.

Or was it a case of not caring, and milking another couple billion dollars out of the tired old Madden 2001 rev.6 engine for another 2 games this year? I think - at least graphically speaking- all signs point that direction.

Graphically, I've run out of defenses for them. I liked last year's Madden, but I'm so tired of looking at the same old visual junk. I just hope EA doesn't repeat this "make one engine" per console generation crap in next gen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »