Home

Article- The Screenshots Seen 'Round The World

This is a discussion on Article- The Screenshots Seen 'Round The World within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #81
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Article- The Screenshots Seen 'Round The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
I know many of you saw me taking some shots last month when those who can't stand EA were saying they "knew" EA would do the same old thing. Meanwhile, I was saying "Everyone just wait and see before we get all upset." All kinds of stuff went down, arguments, etc.

But- at least graphically speaking- those pessimists appear to be correct. (Although I still ALWAYS say we should "waint and see" first.)

But from the still screenshots, I don't think there's any way around the fact that EA has taken several years off with the graphics. With the exception of adding a few more polygons to the shoulderpads and slightly (very slightly) touching up the definition on the faces- all EA has done is add some new textures to the jerseys to simulate shiny "dazzle knit" like many of the teams wear.

Graphically- EA is at a relative standstill. Its even worse when you throw in NCAA college football. How many re-releases of the 2001 engine?

Madden 2002, College football 2002, Madden 2003, College Football 2003, Madden 2004, College football 2004, Madden 2005, College Football 2005.

Eight.

Sad.

I was at least optomistic that seeing all the fan pressure and all the media heat EA was getting (EGM, GAMESPOT, forums everywhere) that they would at least hype up some new graphics/player models this year. But no.

Still they appear to be using the PS2 as their development kit, and merely porting it up to XBOX. Same old, same old, same old....

IF this was any other series, from any other non-sports genre, people would stop caring. But because football fans- such as me- are so hardcore, we buy it. EA had a chance to really respond to their critics this season, but it appears they have only added more fuel to the anti-EA fire. They should have seen this coming, really. I don't know how they couldn't.

Or was it a case of not caring, and milking another couple billion dollars out of the tired old Madden 2001 rev.6 engine for another 2 games this year? I think - at least graphically speaking- all signs point that direction.

Graphically, I've run out of defenses for them. I liked last year's Madden, but I'm so tired of looking at the same old visual junk. I just hope EA doesn't repeat this "make one engine" per console generation crap in next gen.

Given the fact that their bottom line has only been marginally impacted by such a decision, and with their position obviously strengthened by the acquisition of the licenses, thought pessimistic, it would be logical to have the expection of them repeating the same pattern.

The only thing that might prevent them from doing so would be if another publisher released a generic football title(EARLY IN THE NEXT GEN LIFE CYCLE-) of such overwhelming graphical superiority, that it garners cover stories(a la Halo, GTA) from mags like EGM, and Gamepro, throw in world wide ridicule, within the gaming commuity, of EA's graphical efforts, and of course it would also have to make a dent in their sales totals as well. These things may be enough to force their hand on this issue. Maybe.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #82
ObiWanJenkins

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamden311
Wow?

Are you kidding?

Seriously, you are the first person I have ever heard say that Maddens graphics were more realistic then ESPNs.

As for animations please. ESPNs animations were heads and shoulders above Maddens in both numbers and look.

Look at these two pics and tell me with a straight face that Maddens graphics are more realistic.
Those are cutscenes. I'm talking about ingame animations and graphics. I had had people mistake madden on the TV for a live broadcast from a distance, but never ESPN. Can you explain away the ice skate effect in all NFL k games?

Old 04-17-2005, 06:08 PM   #83
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJenkins
Those are cutscenes. I'm talking about ingame animations and graphics. I had had people mistake madden on the TV for a live broadcast from a distance, but never ESPN. Can you explain away the ice skate effect in all NFL k games?
ESPN NFL is dead. What's your point? I'm not comparing gameplay, I'm comparing graphics. I prefer Madden's gameplay, incidentally. But the graphics have nothing to do with the questionable player-locomation. Plus, I can name two pages worth of ESPN NFL faults, but its not going to change the fact that EA is flat out lame when it comes to its football graphics so far- and updating them, or revamping them... etc.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:38 PM   #84
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
That's funny - my experience has been the exact opposite. You'd have to be REALLY far away to think it's a real game lol. There's a reason you rarely see anyone in the game without their helmet on. That's not to say Madden doesn't look okay, because I think it does - especially on a nice TV. But if the goal is to look true-to-life, then you'd have to admit Madden has more of a "cartoony" look, where it's not easy to distinguish player heights/proportions.

I think in this next-gen that so many are looking forward to, Madden's graphics will look more like ESPN's than vice versa. If EA carries the same look of the game into next gen, there'd be a revolt. And I'm not sure what you mean by the ice skate effect. The only game I know that has that type of feel is NBA Live. Clarification?
Old 04-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #85
Banned

Quote:

Not cutscenes. Gameplay graphics.

Its not even close.

Can you explain the fact that there are only 10 ways to get tackled in madden?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2005, 11:38 PM   #86
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamden311
Not cutscenes. Gameplay graphics.

Its not even close.

Can you explain the fact that there are only 10 ways to get tackled in madden?
Can you please name ALL 10 since you know everything?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay8595
Can you please name ALL 10 since you know everything?
What a dumb response.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »