Home

Madden Wishlist's Computerized Mock Draft

This is a discussion on Madden Wishlist's Computerized Mock Draft within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2005, 09:46 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Madden Wishlist's Computerized Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Good job spin. Can someone forward this to the 2k series also.
k
Old 04-22-2005, 08:07 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

For those interested, we just fixed a few minor bugs, and updated the draft order and rosters to take several recent transactions into account.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #19
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

You've even got the Dolphins Surtain trade in there. I must refresh this site at least 5 times a day for fun. Any word Spin if this excellent script will be used by EA? This is absolutely sweet and far better than any logic in any console game to date.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #20
Rookie

Thanks Rudy, I really appreciate the compliments.

I did send them the script, but I did not hear anything back. They usually respond, so it's possible that they didn't take too kindly to my efforts. But even if they did write back, they wouldn't give me any hints as to whether or not they intend to use it.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:54 AM   #21
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin16
They usually respond, so it's possible that they didn't take too kindly to my efforts.
I have no idea why. Your use of the trade value chart and ability to have realistic trades makes it great. Its always been far too easy to trade up in any game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2005, 11:56 AM   #22
Rookie

Actually, don't worry about doing this (see below). I actually started adding some more rookies myself, and tested it a bit. What I found was that there was actually less trading than before.

Basically what's happening is that trades occur in the first and second rounds because the fall off between the 1st player on the board at a position and the 5th guy is generally pretty steep. But, once you get into the later rounds, you have a ton of guys with basically the same OVR rating -- in the 66-62 range or so. So, if you're only judging on OVR, there's no need to trade up, ever, since there will almost certainly be a guy of nearly equal caliber available when it's your turn to pick.

Trade ups in the later rounds do happen though, but why? Well, it seems to me that they happen most often because a guy has a certain attribute that a team really likes -- he's huge, or he's blazing fast, or he's really smart, or something that makes this guy stand head and shoulders above the rest and that would make him a good fit for that team's system. Guys who are all around average don't get traded up for. But, I neither have the time nor interest to include system factors into the script's logic, or attributes more specific than OVR. So, I don't think the script is going to get much more development beyond where it's at now.

So, don't worry about volunteering for the project described below. :-)

---------------------------

Hey guys,

I'm curious to know what our mock draft script will do for rounds 4-7, but I don't have enough rookies in the database. If any of you care to add some more players and send us an updated file, I'll put it into production. The current list can be found at:

http://www.maddenwishlist.com/draft/rooks.csv

Here are some things to take note of if you decide to help us out:

(1) At least for the guys that are rated above 70 or so, don't change any of the ratings that are already there, even if you hate the ratings. If you need to add a couple points OVR to the guys in the low 60's to make "room" for more players, then that's OK, but don't move anyone above 70. There are currently 141 players in the file -- 160 puts us at the end of round 5. So I would say that there should be very few players rated above 60 after the 200 player mark -- this is how Madden generated drafts typically work. Keep in mind that most guys taken in the 6th and 7th rounds won't even make a roster. Few if any guys should be rated below 55 though.

(2) Try to add players fairly uniformily -- don't add 20 more WR's and 5 more CB's, for example.

(3) Don't worry about rookie ages -- the script doesn't take those into account at the moment at all.

(4) For INJ ratings, if you can get a good estimate, that's great, but for the later rounds it's not too critical. Average INJ is 75.

(5) There are 255 selections this year, so if we could get a file with 280 picks, that'd be ideal.

I'm mainly curious to see what happens with the trade logic in the later rounds. After watching Day 1 of the real thing, it seems like we've nailed the trade logic pretty well for the first day of the draft. But there should probably be a fair bit more trades happening on Day 2, and I'm wondering if the script does that correctly or not.

When it's done, email the new file to [email protected]

Thanks to anyone who takes on this job!

Last edited by spin16; 04-24-2005 at 09:04 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »