Home

Regret of Next Gen

This is a discussion on Regret of Next Gen within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2005, 11:55 AM   #17
T*rg*t F**ld

bergie56's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Regret of Next Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
In any case, it's hard to compare - true, it was the same basic situation, but the market conditions are different and technology isn't evenly progressing, it's progressing exponentially - meaning not only is technology increasing at a faster rate each year, the tools available to utilize technology is too. With their experience and increased funding, they can tackle this with greater preperation and success. History is great at telling the future for some things, but as far as computer technology goes, I wouldn't look into it at all myself.
You make very good points. Other posters with concern do as well. I dont know what to think but might be leaning towards features being re-added in the future and being called "new".
Old 04-20-2005, 12:09 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
My only complaint about next generation, is the track record from PS1 to PS2, the addittion by subtraction. I remember Madden 99 was a superior game in all facets. The developers finally got a grasp on the game and its direction. Then here comes the 800lb gorilla(PS2) and they start from stratch. The features get shelved, retooled and become a new feature for next generation. I'm hope this doesn't happen but my guess is that it will. I won't vision feature, I want a toned down hit stick and on down the list.

What feature do you think will be taking out and comeback as new and improve, for annual releases as a selling point?
I was thinking the same thing the other night. I'm from the old school. While great graphics and effects are great, they are to be expected as the technology progresses.

What I want to progress with these next gen football titles is the ability to carry your own franchise mode online (if you want) and you can invite others to join and takeover their favorite teams while the CPU fills any untaken teams. Have the ability to create a dynamic website that fills in stats, rosters, message boards box scores, etc. based on this online franchise.

That would be my idea of Next Gen--not graphics, per se.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay8595
why would they take out Season,Hitstick,defense presnap,hot routes,Vision and precision?

Im not worried at all because I know EA will have all of that stuff in next gen.

This board thinks negative to much.
Yeah its negative, but I can only draw on what has been done before. History teaches us to be pessimistic about this next move. I'm looking at the jump to next gen being the glass is half full but with reservation.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:15 PM   #20
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

There's no harm in being skeptical, it means you're right if the game is shocking in gameplay, and you're blissfully wrong if it isn't

I just feel right now there is no need to presume the worst based purely on past occurances, the gaming market is completely different now days.

Last edited by Nza; 04-20-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #21
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Wasn't 99' the first year they used a true 3D engine? I'm pretty sure 98' was top down with sprites. If so, then they have proven in the past they can go to a new engine and produce a good game.

And wasn't 2001 the first year Madden came on the PS2? I can't recall, but was 99' PSX better than 2001 PS2 gameplay wise?
I'm pretty sure Madden 98 had the 3D engine and you are right about the PS2 debuting in 2001. They did add some changes to the depth chart on the PS2 version for 2001. I know the long snapper was added but don't know what else might have been added for the PS2 or removed from it. Either way, I was pretty happy with it.

I DO remember loving NBA Live on the PS1 and having them totally ruin that game the first couple years on the PS2. I would have been happy with simply improved graphics but EA usually redoes the engine and in that case it was a disaster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2005, 12:49 PM   #22
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

From that, to me 99 was the first true 3D engine but I guess 98 was sort of 3D - in any case, 98 and 99 was solid iirc, it didn't affect them much then.

BTW, check this out:

This is 99 apparently....now that's either not really 99, or it's an enhanced screenshot. It's small I know, but the crisp nature makes it look more like 2005 with shoddy player models.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #23
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
If I remember correctly somethings was taken out during the switch last gen and something were added.
Grunt they didnt take anything important out with the first ps2
Old 04-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #24
MVP

Kodiak33's Arena

OVR: 8

I bet create a stadium will be taken out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »