Home

Question & Suggestion for game developers

This is a discussion on Question & Suggestion for game developers within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10
Question & Suggestion for game developers

Now that EA has the exclusive rights to the NFL, does that mean the All-Time teams can now include player's names and numbers? If so, I have an idea that I think would be really cool.

With the next gen consoles around the corner, there will be so much unused space on the game disks. That being said, I think that EA should include ALL roster sets for all teams, as far back as possible.

Many of us older gamers can relive our favorite seasons of the past. I wish all sports games could/would do this. For me, I would really like to replay 1986-1987, where my two favorite teams won a world series and super bowl (Mets and Giants).

Just a thought
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Question & Suggestion for game developers

This may be pure speculation on my part; I think that it has something to do with the old players belonging to the players union. If memory serves, you can't use any players name or likeness without that person's tacit approval. If that individual belongs to the the players union he can be used; seeing as EA has an agreement with the NFLPA. If not, the individual has to give their personal approval; and have their own agreement granting permission to use their name/likeness in the game media. That could be very expensive; that's why there's no Barry Bonds in baseball games. And guys like Y.A. Tittle, Walter Payton, and Brian Piccolo could be very expensive because of having to broker deals with their estates.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 06-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
MVP

dbeth's Arena

OVR: 21

The retired players are in a different union so to speak. Every game up 'til now has had the NFLPA license, but still no "historic players". The key is that "Ol' Timer's License"!

Go Badgers!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
Rookie

dawgdan7280's Arena

OVR: 4

[quote=Briankingsfan] If memory serves, you can't use any players name or likeness without that person's tacit approval. If that individual belongs to the the players union he can be used; seeing as EA has an agreement with the NFLPA. QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure youre right. But why cant they have their correct jersey numbers?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
Banned

mwynn05's Arena

OVR: 1

[quote=dawgdan7280]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankingsfan
If memory serves, you can't use any players name or likeness without that person's tacit approval. If that individual belongs to the the players union he can be used; seeing as EA has an agreement with the NFLPA. QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure youre right. But why cant they have their correct jersey numbers?
The can't even have their likeness
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
Icon14 Re: Question & Suggestion for game developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
Now that EA has the exclusive rights to the NFL, does that mean the All-Time teams can now include player's names and numbers? If so, I have an idea that I think would be really cool.

With the next gen consoles around the corner, there will be so much unused space on the game disks. That being said, I think that EA should include ALL roster sets for all teams, as far back as possible.

Many of us older gamers can relive our favorite seasons of the past. I wish all sports games could/would do this. For me, I would really like to replay 1986-1987, where my two favorite teams won a world series and super bowl (Mets and Giants).

Just a thought
even if they didnt put their names in the game, atleast have the old school teams and players have the correct equipment, jersey styles, and cleats from their eras like ncaa. i always wondered why they did it in ncaa and not madden, thats why i dont even use the classic teams on madden. if they did that, it would make using classic teams worth playing with. plus, the classic players juke moves and playing styles use different animations from the current nfl stars
Old 06-03-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2
Icon14 Re: Question & Suggestion for game developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34

Just a thought
even if they didnt put their names in the game, atleast have the old school teams and players have the correct equipment, jersey styles, and cleats from their eras like ncaa. i always wondered why they did it in ncaa and not madden, thats why i dont even use the classic teams on madden. if they did that, it would make using classic teams worth playing with. plus, the classic players juke moves and playing styles use different animations from the current nfl stars because there is an obvious difference in the athlete abilities of the players today.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »