Home

Ea need to dump the passing cone system in the dumpster!

This is a discussion on Ea need to dump the passing cone system in the dumpster! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2005, 08:43 AM   #49
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Ea need to dump the passing cone system in the dumpster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
It's too easy to play defense with that light on the field. The quarterback won't be able to complete passes outside of the cone and most people are probably going to just throw to whoever they see in the cone.
That's not true IF the person QB'ing knows what he is doing. Just like in the real game you can now "look off" a safety. If used correctly any defensive player who forgets about the receivers not in cone and runs to the coned area will get burned a lot.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:45 AM   #50
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Am I the only one finding it absurd that people are criticizing the new passing system, 3 months before they even play the game?

No you're not.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:25 AM   #51
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Am I the only one finding it absurd that people are criticizing the new passing system, 3 months before they even play the game?
No, you're not.

Nor am I the least bit surprised. It's going to be a long summer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2005, 09:38 AM   #52
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
3. ODogg defends everything ea.
Can someone please explain to me how this keeps people from cheating? If someone wants to pick vick and run around all day then they can still do it. The only thing this does is that if there are people who like passing then they will just pick the colts and the patriots all the time. This doesn't stop cheating at all.
The vision cone will reign in the "run Vick around and lob it across the field" crowd because once the receivers have completed their routes, they will go into "scramble mode". When this happens, the passing icons of any receivers not in the cone will disappear (i.e. you can no longer throw to players outside the cone). That means players trying to do the "Vick cheese" will have to manipulate both analog sticks at the same time (left one to move the qb, right one to move the cone onto the guy they want to throw to). That alone should cut down on the number of "roll right, throw left" plays.

I'm pumped about this feature, even though my joystick skills leave a lot to be desired. It has the potential to make Madden a much more realistic game than it's ever been.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #53
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I like the idea. I just wish they could recreate the QB's vision without the cones. I'd prefer just seeing the QB's head and maybe shoulders turn. But the idea that you have to look where you're throwing is a huge stride towards realism.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:54 AM   #54
MVP

BezO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
Take out the passing cone system and change it to this.

The farther you go back the blurrier the screen gets past the line of scrimmage. This way you won't be able to tell the difference in whose on your team, from the other team. Which would cause more passing mistakes like in real life if you do this type of stuff.
Except the defense wouldn't be able to see either.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #55
MVP

BezO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Because it will make it a lot harder to take Vick, run all the way to the right, make it look like your going to take off, and then throw it 50 yards to the opposite side of the field.
Doesn't Vick do that in real life?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2005, 11:21 AM   #56
MVP

BezO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
The vision cone will reign in the "run Vick around and lob it across the field" crowd because once the receivers have completed their routes, they will go into "scramble mode". When this happens, the passing icons of any receivers not in the cone will disappear (i.e. you can no longer throw to players outside the cone). That means players trying to do the "Vick cheese" will have to manipulate both analog sticks at the same time (left one to move the qb, right one to move the cone onto the guy they want to throw to). That alone should cut down on the number of "roll right, throw left" plays.
I didn't know about the scramble mode. That's cool. EA should actually make it so that at no time are you allowed to throw to a receiver not in the cone, not just after they've complete their routes.

Secondly, I would prefer they enhance the defense's ability to defend across the field passes instead of trying to limit the QB's ability. Vick and others have sucessfully thrown across the filed on ocassion.

I think if EA gave realistic ratings, and made the speed of the game & players realistic, they wouldn't have to create as many features to stop cheasers. Vick is Vick. He's one of the fastest and most talented guys in the league. He's able to do things that no other QB can do. Instead of toning down his abilities, allow others to play up to theirs.

EA says that people pass 70% of the time, so they spent a lot of time on the passing game. Well, that also means that defenses are defending the pass 70% of the time. Why not put equal time into pass defense? Is there an equally innovative defense feature? In the NFL, teams have been able to slow, and in some cases stop Vick. EA should give defenses the ability to do that in the game. Realistic ratings, game speed, and AI would do that.

Side note: Last time I played Madden, the mobile QBs weren't mobile enough. Has the game changed that much?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »