Home

Flame me now but most Madden fans expectations are too low

This is a discussion on Flame me now but most Madden fans expectations are too low within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2005, 04:24 PM   #49
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Flame me now but most Madden fans expectations are too low

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc123
I find it amazing that some of the same ppl who want new features in the game and tend to agree that things need fixing in the game are so nonchalant when EA actually does attempt to do so and then are presented with the reality that when playing the game these upgrades can be turned on & off at will.
Madden gamers have been complaining about "robo qb" for years and then when EA addresses the problem they go "oh; well, if you still want to play robo qb we'll give you the option at no penalty". All this hype and press about the new and groundbreaking vision cone (nfl qb's praising it, calling it realistic i.e. more difficult) and I find out that I don't have to learn the new system if I don't want to; I can just revert back to thorwing off the back foot, dropping back 20yds and completing a bomb, and throwing across the field w/deadly accuracy.

The best way to compare it would be like using Total Punch Control in Fight Night or choosing to use the buttons. The questions this raises to me are: Why even implement the new system at all? Why give the option to disable it at "no penalty"?

Because not everyone who plays Madden plays the game in the same way. EA recognizes this fairly basic and obvious fact, and is therefore trying to accomodate both the sim crowd and the more casual players. I find your opposition to this utterly baffling. What's next, are you going to demand that EA take out the lower difficulty settings because they aren't sim enough either?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #50
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Because not everyone who plays Madden plays the game in the same way. EA recognizes this fairly basic and obvious fact, and is therefore trying to accomodate both the sim crowd and the more casual players. I find your opposition to this utterly baffling. What's next, are you going to demand that EA take out the lower difficulty settings because they aren't sim enough either?

Old 07-06-2005, 07:47 PM   #51
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
I swear Coog, you and I always seem to be the ones defending Madden from the 2K fan boys who "SWEAR" EA makes absolutely no changes, and just rips off the customers.
I'm not trying to start a war with you but you are not in the same boat with coogar. Sometimes he and I disagree but his opinions always have logic and he's willing to hear another point of view. I apologize if I'm basing my thoughts on impressions of some of your recent posts but it seems like you just want to fight whenever anyone brings up 2k.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #52
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Personally, I like having the OPTION to play with it on or off. What if I, as a person who wants a sim experience, plays with the vision cone and think it just sucks. Everyone who wants sim is not going to fall in love with this thing. I think its always good to have the option to turn off a new feature, whether it's a sim or arcade feature (the ability to turn off slamzone in MLB2k5, for example).

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 07-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #53
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

btw, I definitely think you should be able to turn the cone off but it should be like a difficulty level. if one person has it off then it should be off for both. For years with any sports game we say why can't they do one set for casual and one set for sim. If they can do this correctly then in the future maybe they'll try more extreme features that we want knowing that the casual fans can turn them off, or any of us that didn't think it worked as it should.

i also have to agree with coogr, and i think people that say madden hasn't changed or even changed much over the years don't really mean that. graphically i think that's true but i haven't gone and really looked so that could be wrong too, but the game has changed a lot for the better on and off the field. hell if you think the franchise mode hasn't changed then you really are arguing just to be arguing.

with that said, there have been gameplay things wrong for a long time and there have been things that were great years ago not changed, and now just not good enough. these things are so obvious that people think "who cares about what they've added when i would've been just happy if they fixed [insert issue here]." i've been playing ea games since jordan vs bird and it was LONG time ago, the first time i said "why didn't they fix this or that? it had to be b/c they needed something to add next year." but the crazy thing was next year they didn't fix it either. after a few years of that, these negatives become much bigger than any new stuff.

with the 2k series, they tried a lot of new things and some of the chances worked out great and others not so good. but i think what kept 2k fans wasn't this stuff, it was the fact that they attempted to fix every problem from the previous year. as good as these games are these days, that's all i usually want. 2k could've just fixed problems and i think they would've had more fans, but i was happy about the new stuff they tried too so that was a plus for me, but if you're just starting to play the game, it's not something new, it's something in the game that doesn't work. i think this is why we have this battle between many madden and 2k fans.

now i will say this, all 2k fans aren't out of the water. early on in the baseball games i think they were doing great things with the franchise mode but trying to fix and add over there has made that hard to play every year recently. if you're a franchise player mainly and you still picked up the game every year then you're no different than a madden fan. that's why it's just a matter of preference. most 2k fans played online before franchise mode was even really an option so that's where the base started on the dreamcast. the online mode has gotten better and better each year so the base is happy, but if every game you play is franchise you have to be just as disappointed as you are in ea.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #54
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I'm not trying to start a war with you but you are not in the same boat with coogar. Sometimes he and I disagree but his opinions always have logic and he's willing to hear another point of view. I apologize if I'm basing my thoughts on impressions of some of your recent posts but it seems like you just want to fight whenever anyone brings up 2k.
I only respond to people who talk about 2K like it's the be-all end-all of football games, and talk about Madden like it's garbage, because neither of those are true. If a person brings up a valid point about 2K, I'm not going to try and start a war because I'm in love with EA because I'm not. I understand it's not perfect, but 2K isn't either, and there are certain people who are denying that fact(not talking to anyone specifcally) and those are the people I argue with.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #55
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

that's not really true, longhorn. you comment whenever anyone brings up 2k. where's the last post in this forum someone's made about madden being garbage? i know i (again) came at you, but this time it was really a combination of general posts from other threads and quotes like this one:

Quote:
I swear Coog, you and I always seem to be the ones defending Madden from the 2K fan boys who "SWEAR" EA makes absolutely no changes, and just rips off the customers.
Nobody said any such thing about EA. I'm sure you're exaggerating for emphasis but that's the problem because there shouldn't be anything wrong with saying "I don't think Madden makes enough changes from year to year" but you're a fanboy if you say "Madden makes absolutely no changes". Basically you've changed the general feeling of anything said by 2k fans to sound like 2k is the end all to be all and madden is garbagae and then respond accordingly.

I do want to apologize b/c I'm not trying to follow you around and give you a hard time. I'm only responding now b/c this isn't a flame war and I think you really don't realize you're doing this. I'm sure if you didn't make comments made by 2k fans seem more extreme than they are before making your point you wouldn't get such big reactions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #56
Erv
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
how many yearly sports franchises drastically change the game each year and aren't buggy? EA may not rewrite the whole book, but they do deliver a pretty tight product. I'm a fan of the 2k series, but I couldn't play some of the franchise modes because they were buggier than hell. What would you prefer? Innovation at the cost of quality, or quality at the cost of innovation? Again, I've got all the 2k games, and prefer their football and hockey games over EA, so while I may sound like a EA fan I'm really open minded.
mvp baseball...if tiburon had the same dedicatiion ea's baseball team did these threads wouldn't exist.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »