Home

Flame me now but most Madden fans expectations are too low

This is a discussion on Flame me now but most Madden fans expectations are too low within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #65
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Flame me now but most Madden fans expectations are too low

I'm still waiting to hear the answer to this one:

NOVASTAR said: "First off Coogrfan, I have great respect for you as a poster here on OS, with that being said, I don't agree with the madden fan's method of product purchasing. As you stated "But in my view this is the most abitious effort the Madden team has made to date", if this is true, what did you do when the madden teams effort was less than ambitious? Did you still spend $50 dollars on the product? Further, has the madden teams effort ever in your opinion been less than ambitious? If it has, see question one, if not, then in essence you would be saying that ea always gives an A effort, when in my opinion that is, rarely the case."

Maybe this was answered by coogrfan or someone else. If so I apologize, but I think those are good questions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2005, 10:58 AM   #66
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberstabone
I'm still waiting to hear the answer to this one:

NOVASTAR said: "First off Coogrfan, I have great respect for you as a poster here on OS, with that being said, I don't agree with the madden fan's method of product purchasing. As you stated "But in my view this is the most abitious effort the Madden team has made to date", if this is true, what did you do when the madden teams effort was less than ambitious? Did you still spend $50 dollars on the product? Further, has the madden teams effort ever in your opinion been less than ambitious? If it has, see question one, if not, then in essence you would be saying that ea always gives an A effort, when in my opinion that is, rarely the case."

Maybe this was answered by coogrfan or someone else. If so I apologize, but I think those are good questions.
In my case, I have bought every Madden since the early 90's. I've enjoyed some editions more than others, but I've never felt that I didn't at least get my money's worth.

I have a problem with the way Novastar phrased his question. The fact that Madden 06 is the most ambitious effort to date does not automatically mean that all the previous efforts were "less than ambitious". The only response I can muster is this:I subscribe to the opinion that the way to tell if a game series has stagnated is to go back and play the previous versions, and see how much you miss the things that aren't there. For me, it's almost impossible to play any Madden prior to 05 because I've grown to love the defensive playmaker controls. For that reason, I would say that the people who loudly proclaim that each years Madden is a mere roster update are wrong. I hope that answers your question.

Last edited by coogrfan; 07-13-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #67
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
In my case, I have bought every Madden since the early 90's. I've enjoyed some editions more than others, but I've never felt that I didn't at least get my money's worth.

I have a problem with the way Novastar phrased his question. The fact that Madden 06 is the most ambitious effort to date does not automatically mean that all the previous efforts were "less than ambitious". The only response I can muster is this:imo the way to tell if a game series has stagnated is to go back and play the previous versions, and see how much you miss the things that aren't there. For me, it's almost impossible to play any Madden prior to 05 because I've grown to love the defensive playmaker controls. For that reason, I would say that the people who loudly proclaim that each years Madden is a mere roster update are wrong. I hope that answers your question.

It does and I thank you. I do think that that is a pretty good way to see if a series has stagnated. But that being said, I also think that it is pretty ridiculous to charge $50 every year for a football game, whether one chooses to buy it or not. I understand it's all about companies making money, blah, blah, blah, but personally, IMO, that's too much for ANY game company (Not just EA) to charge that puts out a "sequel" every year which is what sports games do... something unique to the genre.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #68
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erv
mvp fixes these things promptly. In madden 2006 you still will see linebackers jumping 10 feet, you'll still see runningbacks running in place, you'll still see the phychic db ai...we've asked for these things to be changed and they aren't.
the discussion was about the first game so whether they fixed them isn't really relevant. plus the game is only 2 years old as MVP and the first one was an attempt to win back fans that knew Triple Play sucked... they better fix glitches from the first effort quickly if they want the fan base to grow. If you look at the series as a whole (Triple Play/MVP), they definitely didn't make changes quickly b/c there was a time when I didn't consider any other baseball games but EA titles. Same with Live. It was the best and then t didn't get much better over the years until they realized they needed to make a huge overhaul and brought in "freestyle".
Old 07-14-2005, 09:06 AM   #69
Erv
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
Actually, the LB jump was relatively new to last years game, as was the jetpacking DB(the developers have even admitted to overdoing it last year) and they claim both have been fixed.

Plus, how do you know they aren't fixed, you haven't played the game yet.
relatively new?? What's that supposed to mean? My experience is different though, I've noticed this in all madden's this gen, starting to become a major flaw in ncaa/madden 03'. Now the jetpacking thing was a new issue, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the cpu sending run defensives on every pass package if you choose to run in that package, or vice versa with pass. I'm also talking about DB's who get a perfect beat on the ball when they physically have no way of knowing the ball was thrown never mind exactly where it's going. So you end up seeing half the defense clump to the ball.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #70
Erv
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
You responded to mgoblue's post:

by citing the MVP series (presumably as an example of a series that had undergone a drastic overhaul in the middle of a console cycle). I pointed out that it was unfair to compare that situation to Madden. EA dumped the Triple Play series in favor of the current MVP because Triple Play was generally conceded to be the worst baseball game on the market, and it's sales were poor. Madden is a different animal entirely, it is by far the market leader in terms of sales and acceptence by the gaming public.

Clear enough for you?
I don't care about varying situations or the past! I'm not comparing situations, I'm comparing work effort and determination, those traits are always welcome regardless of circumstance. All you are typing up is unrelated excuses.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #71
Erv
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
the discussion was about the first game so whether they fixed them isn't really relevant. plus the game is only 2 years old as MVP and the first one was an attempt to win back fans that knew Triple Play sucked... they better fix glitches from the first effort quickly if they want the fan base to grow. If you look at the series as a whole (Triple Play/MVP), they definitely didn't make changes quickly b/c there was a time when I didn't consider any other baseball games but EA titles. Same with Live. It was the best and then t didn't get much better over the years until they realized they needed to make a huge overhaul and brought in "freestyle".
Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense at all. You have to be more specific(game, what game?!).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #72
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erv
what does triple play have anything to do with mvp's team working harder than the madden team?
I didn't want to grab all the quotes but I think this is on page 6. The discussion was you saying that EA's MVP team did more than Madden's team and coogr brought up Triple play to which you had the above quote. EA is about making money. The Triple Play series did just that for years until other companies created some stiff comp. TP was in such a bad spot they couldn't just revamp the game (like they did with Live in a similar, but not as bad situation), they had to give it a new name.

So you're saying how great the MVP team is but the reality is MVP is just TP with a huge facelift that EA put into place b/c they weren't making money off their baseball title. Coogr's right in that Madden is not in this situation. My comments on the changes that were made "right away" was basically saying they NEEDED to be responsive b/c it's the 2nd year of MVP and they're still tryin to win back the fan base.

I'm far from an EA apologist and am actually saying the exact opposite. EA cares about money. Madden is making money, TP was not. Once everyone says how great MVP is and many won't consider even looking at another baseball game, you can be sure the pattern will be the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »