Home

**new Madden 2006 Info**

This is a discussion on **new Madden 2006 Info** within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 6
**new Madden 2006 Info**

You need to sign up for the site...it only takes a measly 1 minute to do so.

http://www.maddenwars2005.com/forums...howtopic=18367 - This link is about offensive features

http://www.maddenwars2005.com/forums...howtopic=18374 - This link is about defensive features
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: **new Madden 2006 Info**

thanks for this those new features are definetly gonna help gameplay, hopefully they still let us edit play books
Old 07-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Here's the info

The offensive side of the ball we figured was going to be reworked because of the emphasis on the D# last year.

So here is some things that have caught my eye right away:

1. More indepth playbooks.

I can not stress enough how more indepth playbooks are this year. I played with the Redskins and used the Skins playbook and it was true to the style of Coach Gibbs. I talked to Kobra from VGSports and he was telling me that what EA did was take a look at all of the games from last year copied all of the formation that that coach used. Those familiar with the Redskins know that Gibbs does not like or use Shotgun. So staying true to form, do not expect any Shotgun plays in the skins playbook. Instead there are 18 Single Back formation. 18 people, and thats just from one formation. The playook also features various formations where the H-Back is used all over the field, split wide, @ TE, stacked, all over. I didn't get to take a look at everyones playbook but just judging from the skins and talking with everyone there, each team's playbook reflects that coach's style. I cant wait to get more indepth.

2. Smart Routes

We all hate when its 3rd and six and the WR runs a 5 yard curl. Now with Smart Routes the WR will now go just beyond the 1st down marker to run their pattern. This does not work with all patterns. The patterns it does work for is curls, ins, outs, and hitches.

3. New Audibles

Ok so now EA has given you even more options to disect that defense on the other side of the ball using all new audibles. No matter what play you call, if you press square (initiate audible) and left on the right analog stick you will audible to a short passing play. If you press square and right on the right analog stick it audibles to a long passing route. Audible and down audibles to a run, and audible and up audibles to a playaction pass, all while you keep the same formation. Each playbook creates a different play for each audible. Meaning in the Skins playbook, audible and down is a run to the right, whereas in the Steelers, its a couter to the right. These are addition to the audibles you set yourself.

4. Truck Stick

The Truck Stick is going to be a very useful addition in this version. Its very effective if you have a bigger back and unless its a bigger Linebacker, not too many defensive players are going to bring someone like bettis down. But even little backs can truck stick, just not as effective. First play against the steelers Kobra run Duece Staley to the side and he truck sticks Taylor and then Matt Bowen on his way to a 65 yard scamper. The animation was very good.

I'll have the defensive features, which are just as many in the morning.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

So with the improvements the offense made this year, how is the defense going to stop these corner routes, truck sticks, new audibles and what have you. Well I believe the defense is even more powerful than it was last year with these new features:

1. Defensive shading:

Defensive shading is very useful if used correctly and at the right time can be a stopper when the defense needs it the most. Now you can shade a WR with your DB to the inside or outside shoulder. So if your opponent keeps throwing slants on you and you can't stop it, just shade that WR to the inside and the CB will be in better position to swat the ball or pick it off. The good thing about it is that when you do this the defender can't see from pre-read snaps where the defender is going to play that WR, he never moves, but after the snap he jumps into position and aggressively takes away the inside or outside path. Great tool. You also can shade your safties out further when playing a cover 2 by pressing the coverage audible and up on the right analog stick. This shades the deep sideline routes. Also pressing coverage audible and down on the right analog makes the safties play the middle.

2. New Defensive Audibles

Now in my other writeup about the offensive features I mentioned about 4 new audibles that were new by using the right analog stick. Well the defense has the same thing. Audible and analog up gives you a cover 3. Audible and analog down gives you a blitz play. Audible and analog left gives you a Man play with the safties playing over the top, and audible and analog right gives you a cover 2 zone. These are very useful and I know for me that frees up 3 more audibles. Once again calling these audibles from any formation does not alter that formation, but on the downside its not unique to every defensive playbook.

3. Hot Routes

This is by far my most liked feature for the defense this year. We all know how hot routes worked last year. You select the defender you press up for the yellow hook zone, down to blitz, left to play flats, and right to spy, and down 2 times to contain. Well EA has kept all of those and added some more. Now when you press left 2 times the defender plays a quarter zone (the purple) that extents to the sidelines but up further than the flats. Very useful for defending corner routes. Now if you press up 2 times the defender plays a deep zone (the blue) that extends farther up the field than the hook zone. I love that, because last year it was very difficult to blitz your safteys and still guard deep with your linebacker just playing a hook zone. BTW - this also works with lineman.

4. Assigning Man Coverage

Last year you could only assign man coverage to your Safties. I disliked the fact that I could not assign my linebackers to play man on on certain individuals. Well now you can. In fact you can assign any man (other than defensive line) to any WR, RB, or TE on the field. Its great for those individuals who like to create new defensive plays. You can take a corner and have him double team the slot guy and have the saftey play the WR by himself.

5. New scrolling technique

We all hate when we try to hot route a defender and try to get to another defender before they snap the ball. Well EA has implemented a new way to scroll through you players. Instead of pressing X to get to your players (you can still do this), you can now just use the D-Pad to scroll through your players For instance lets say you just finished hot routing the strong safety to blitz and you want to play with the linebacker, well just press down one time on your D-Pad and you are at your LB, press down twice from your saftey to get to your offensive line. This takes some time to get used to but, but once you do, its very useful when someone is running a hurry up or you are hotrouting a lot of players.

6. For those who play offline against someone sometime you call a play and forget what a player assignment is on defense. Well now you can select that player and press down on the right analog stick and his assignment only will appear on the screen, not everyone elses like when you use the coach cam.

Thats all I can think of now.

Seems like EA focused more on gameplay this year then visuals. Hope it turns out good.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 16

finally on the fly audiables,

|Washington Redskins| |Alabama Crimson Tide| |Boston Redsox| |Georgetown Hoyas|

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedy
My September 15th glitch is still broken even after downloading the latest patch... I won't be purchasing another one of your titles again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep316
You moron they didn't even put out a patch yet.
LMAO
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE_Gamer
First play against the steelers Kobra run Duece Staley to the side and he truck sticks Taylor and then Matt Bowen on his way to a 65 yard scamper. The animation was very good.

But the scenario is very bad. C'mon 'skins fan what's up?!
Old 07-14-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

It seems that this year Madden has "borrowed" some gameplay ideas from the now defunct 2k series. The defensive shading, man coverage on anyone with anybody, scrolling thru players quicker, etc.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberstabone
It seems that this year Madden has "borrowed" some gameplay ideas from the now defunct 2k series. The defensive shading, man coverage on anyone with anybody, scrolling thru players quicker, etc.
Best of both worlds, eh?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »