Home

Bears VS Lions (POTD).............

This is a discussion on Bears VS Lions (POTD)............. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2005, 12:28 PM   #17
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Bears VS Lions (POTD).............

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberstabone
It appears to me that Madden is only as "sim" as you make it. The design of the game is (and probably always will be) user-friendly to non-sim gamers-- the masses.
Very true, although the impressions I've read so far indicate that the vision/precison passing mechanics may not be for the casual crowd.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:35 PM   #18
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrandon
So true. EA is and will continue to move away from sims sport games. Anyone who got even 5 min on Madden 06 at E3 will tell you this if they are going to be honest. Most sites don't give their REAL impressions cause it would ruin any change of getting a beta copy of the game.
What would you have EA do, make pure sims that only appeal to a tiny segment of the overall console gaming community? Not exactly a formula for healthy sales, is it?

"Pure sim" and "console game" are incompatible terms. The best we can hope for in Madden is a game that allows different styles of gameplay. We will see.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:40 PM   #19
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
What would you have EA do, make pure sims that only appeal to a tiny segment of the overall console gaming community? Not exactly a formula for healthy sales, is it?

"Pure sim" and "console game" are incompatible terms. The best we can hope for in Madden is a game that allows different styles of gameplay. We will see.
See, I totally agree with you. People bitch and moan because the game isn't 100% "sim", but they don't understand that only a small number of people who buy Madden truly know football well enough to actually play a pure sim game. EA has to make the game middle of the line so it appeals to everyone, I don't know why that is so hard for people to understand...

Old 07-26-2005, 01:00 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan

... I wonder if they could have two separate game modes, one arcade and the other sim. For them to be truly different they'd need two game engines, but I think that might be possible. In ESPN NFL 2K4 (with Sapp on the cover) first person football supposedly used a different engine than the regular game, which is why you couldn't go back and forth between 1st and 3rd person in that year.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:31 PM   #21
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
See, I totally agree with you. People bitch and moan because the game isn't 100% "sim", but they don't understand that only a small number of people who buy Madden truly know football well enough to actually play a pure sim game. EA has to make the game middle of the line so it appeals to everyone, I don't know why that is so hard for people to understand...
Everyone here seems to understand it. They just don't like it. But when they say they don't like it, they often get blasted by fans of the game that claim it is sim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #22
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I'm sorry, but c'mon w/the excuses! We go through this every year regarding how the IGN guys play the game. I do agree that the game is on Pro (or at least people better HOPE it is), but IGN is playing the game no different than your average Joe would play the game. Madden isn't built for sim-play - this is what Madden is and why it's so popular. You're not forced to adhere to strict football "rules of play" - people play the game for it's big plays.

I remember last year getting together with some friends to play Madden like we used to in the past, and tried pointing out to them about their 20yd dropbacks - they didn't even realize they were doing it. And I'll add they didn't care, either. For most people the first instinct in Madden is to run out of the pocket/run away from pressure, since you control the QBs drop. If you choose to play the game sim-like and can make yourself believe that it's a sim-game, then more power to you. But make no mistake about it, Madden is built to play the way you see people playing it. The IGN guys are horrible players, but don't hate them for what the game will easily allow you to do.
Exactly. It's hard to restrict yourself to playing "sim" when the game doesn't penalize you if you don't. There's really nothing you can do if you are trying to avoid a sack and you have to drop back. And we always hear that because the game is on pro that that is the reason for people dropping back as far as they want and throwing the ball easily but it doesn't change on the higher difficulties.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 07-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Exactly. It's hard to restrict yourself to playing "sim" when the game doesn't penalize you if you don't. There's really nothing you can do if you are trying to avoid a sack and you have to drop back. And we always hear that because the game is on pro that that is the reason for people dropping back as far as they want and throwing the ball easily but it doesn't change on the higher difficulties.
I think you people missed my point. I was saying that that the QB was not penalized for dropping back too far because when he threw the ball his wide recievers were always wide open due to the enormous blitz that the other guy was sending.

We did people come up with this playing "sim"? If you play "smart" against either guy from IGN you will murder them, easy as that. And remember, it's not easy to gauge how good this game will be from seeing two terrible players verse each other on Pro.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 1

EA already makes a non sim game for the masses called nfl street. Why they persist on making madden arcaey also is gay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »