Home

PSM Rates Madden 4.5/5

This is a discussion on PSM Rates Madden 4.5/5 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: PSM Rates Madden 4.5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Haven't heard much from you LB. Have you played both NCAA and Madden 2006? What are your thoughts on both?

Yeah still playing both. I like them both, although the one thing that I wish both of them had is double team blocking. I'm really going to miss that from the 2k series and I want double team blocking NOT for the sake of the offense LOL, but for the sake of making playing MLB a less frustrating experience. Once the linemen get you man, it's pretty tough. Also the double team blocking would make more of the defensive schemes work the way they should. I'm still working on a way to get that to happen and I thought I had it last night but it'll be back to the drawing board for 2 back sets.

Let me explain what I mean. For instance, let's take the 46 defense. Well that alignment attempts to free the Mike Linebacker and SS so they can wreak havoc on the offense. These are supposed to be free roamers in this defense. They may get reached on a few occasions, but most times if the people up front are doing their job, it aint supposed to happen. Well the get reached alot by Guards in the game. That's where double team blocking would have paid off. The Guards are covered, thus they should not be slipping through.

Ohh there is one thing that frustrates me between the two games. Interface layout. I was getting so confused with madden the first day. Let me explain. In NCAA you use the trigger buttons to call up defensive line and linebacker shifts and audibles. Well in Madden you use the black and white buttons to call those up

I'll be playing both games this year. I've found some things in both games that I enjoy alot. In madden they changed somewhat the way the game feels. I feel like I'm more in control of the players this year. They've added some nice formations on defense that I'm looking to do alot of things with. NCAA has a nice audible system in place that they can build on. In the end, I can run in both games and be creative with basic schemes on defense and that's what I really love to do. If I wanted to pass more I could do that to. But I'm really not a passing guy. Or at least I try not to be.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #10
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
For instance, let's take the 46 defense. Well that alignment attempts to free the Mike Linebacker and SS so they can wreak havoc on the offense. These are supposed to be free roamers in this defense. They may get reached on a few occasions, but most times if the people up front are doing their job, it aint supposed to happen. Well the get reached alot by Guards in the game.
That's one reason Madden got stale for me in 2005. Playing as a LB or defensive lineman was just very poor compared to the 2K series. This was one of the few but biggest improvements I thought 2K5 had over it (not trying to start a flame thread). I'm happy with the right stick d-line moves in NCAA and hope they put that in Madden. I think the d-line play in NCAA 2006 is much better than Madden 2005 so there is hope I guess.

I like to play as a LB too but runs right at me leave me out of the play a lot of the time as I struggle to shed the constant blocks. Running to the ball on outside plays is still good though.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
The newest copy of playstation magazine rates madden a 4.5/5.

Some quotes:

"When EA nabbed exclusive NFL rights earlier this year, there was concern that since the company was now the only game in town, it would rest on its laurels with its Madden Franchise. One only has to play Madden NFL 06 a few times to realize these fears were unwarranted."

"(QB Vision) really doesn't add much to the game, nor will it likely change many gamers' play style"

"By pressing the D-pad or left analog stick as your QB releases the ball, you can place passes away from defenders-throwing the ball low or to the outside, though I often found myself placing it in the direction I was running"

Superstar mode"During your career, among other things, you'll take an IQ test, get drafted, tweak your appearance, lobby to play in the Madden Bowl, hire and fire agents, accomplish season and career goals, and even audition for movie roles."

"While it would have been nice to see EA take some bigger risks, the end result is still of the series' typical high quality."

First Downs: A couple of tweaks improve the core gameplay;NFL superstar mode is an entertaining alternative to franchise mode.

Stopped Short: QB vision control seems unnecessary

Thats all there was
Sure sounds like resting on it's laurels to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 32

I think QB vision will change how sim ballers play the game but not how cheese players play the game. I remember watching the Madden challenge 2 years ago and the top players was using the rams. The problem with Madden the last 2 years that they made Vick into superman.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #13
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I think QB vision will change how sim ballers play the game but not how cheese players play the game. I remember watching the Madden challenge 2 years ago and the top players was using the rams. The problem with Madden the last 2 years that they made Vick into superman.
Did you happen to see LBzrule's post earlier in this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
With the second statement. Well, the way people abused the passing game in EA's games, the high scores in regional and national tourny's and something like this is not necessary? Now about his point of it changing gamer's play style, I will agree with him on that. Some people are going to do what they've been doing. Whether or not it will be as consistent and effective as before is the issue.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:24 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Did you happen to see LBzrule's post earlier in this thread?
Yes, I read it. The people that going to try to win 50,000 bones will do whatever they have to do to win. You will see just as much cheese as last year but I think the sim ballers will enjoy this feature. Until nano blitzes come into play.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:04 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
That's one reason Madden got stale for me in 2005. Playing as a LB or defensive lineman was just very poor compared to the 2K series. This was one of the few but biggest improvements I thought 2K5 had over it (not trying to start a flame thread).
I haven't played Madden since it was on PSX(2002), so I can't really compare the games' linebacker play, but in ESPN I find it a little difficult to get tackles when you're the middle 'backer. It seems that the center always breaks off the line and blocks you and you are taken out of the play. Now, this is not always a problem with a simple d-line shift inside, but I've always found the MLB position to be hard to play, while OLBs and safeties were much better. Just my 2cents
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #16
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

[quote=LBzrule]I'm going to disagree with him here on these two points. In the first statement I disagree with the first phrase. It adds alot to the game for people who don't bomb it down the field every play. From my point of view it has put me in the mind of a quarterback. Not only do you read the D, but you check your first second, third and so on options in a realistic fashion.

With the second statement. Well, the way people abused the passing game in EA's games, the high scores in regional and national tourny's and something like this is not necessary? Now about his point of it changing gamer's play style, I will agree with him on that. Some people are going to do what they've been doing. Whether or not it will be as consistent and effective as before is the issue.[/QUO

You can do those things without the flashlight...I think thats what he meant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »