Home

How in the world did THIS happen?

This is a discussion on How in the world did THIS happen? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
How in the world did THIS happen?

I'll start with the punch-line and tell the story afterwards: I've pre-ordered Madden '06 for the Xbox and I am registered for 2 Madden tournaments next week. Wow. What in the world?

The story is...up until 2 weeks ago I was the average NFL 2k fan (having jumped the Madden ship after wearing out Madden 2003) - you know, still sulking about no more 2k football, but at the same time, hoping that the new Madden (360) would excite me or hold my interest the way it used to. By deciding to save my criticism of Madden 2006 (Xbox) until after I've played it, I guess it left my mind open to the Madden Twilight Zone or something. Because I've viewed the vids with partiality, took the unflattering comments of those with advanced copies with a grain of salt, and even went back and played '05 for a 1/2 hour on display at the game store.

But I was completely blindsided one day last week when I took some trade-in bucks to the game store and the guy asked me if I was getting Madden. I gave the response I think typical of many who played 2k exclusively the last 2 years, "Well, I think I'll wait for Madden on the 360."

When he saw how much trade in credit I had he said, "What's just five bucks? You can even pre-order it and not buy it if you want. Just pre-order it in case you want it." Now for those who argue that we who are not satisfied with Madden are idiots for buying it, then just count me a few screws loose for pre-ordering it, cause that's what I did. Suddenly I'm hearing the theme music from the Twilight Zone and I'm looking down with at this little stub that says "You have pre-ordered Madden for the Xbox, you mere mortal. Whuuuhahahaha...." No, but seriously, it was a real trip to have pre-ordered it, especially since I had NO intention of doing so, EVER. I guess a weak will and extra game bucks don't mix.

Or maybe they do. Maybe Madden 06 will be great. I mean, those are the type of things I started telling myself. Besides that, I haven't played the series in 2 years, so it should be kinda fresh for me again, right?

Wow. With Madden pre-ordered for the Xbox I was ready to start a thread right there. But the plot thickened. It's like, everywhere I went I was seeing Madden. I went to Best Buy: Madden. I went to Blockbuster: Madden. I went to the Police Station: Just kidding on that one. But you get the picture.

Anyway, before I know it, I see this kid (15 or 16 years) playing Madden '05 at Best Buy and he had this great big grin on his face, having a ton of fun. And I asked him if he liked it and he looked at me and said, "It's ok, but I liked 2k5 better. But they not gonna have it no more. The new Madden is out next week." Then he went back to playing and grinning and I was like, “WTH?” It was like I was hearing the Twilight Zone music again b/c at that moment I realized that I'm just like this kid. I'm going to miss 2k but more importantly, I want to be excited about something new. I thought that something new would be Madden for 360 but that feeling when you get excited, sometimes you can't control when it comes and it started bubbling up inside of me right then. And the feeling was being caused by Madden for the Xbox. WTH?

Then a sales clerk tells me to sign up for a tournament, "Just sign it, if you can't make it don't work." So now I'm signed up for a Madden tourney with like 10 total hours of Madden playing time put in over the last 2 years. I wonder if I will get my (blank) handed to me in the first round.

Then the guy at Block is like, "We're having a Madden tourney Monday." He tells me to sign up b/c they're giving away all these prizes and copies of the game and only 6 people had signed up for the tournament and half of them were like 8 years old. Then I got excited thinking of all the prizes I could win but then I got nervous b/c, what if I suck? What if they make us use Vision Passing and I suck at that and get knocked out in the first round by a 3rd grader? So I started looking at the previews of Madden in all the mags to freshen up. What’s THAT all about?

So now I've pre-oredered Madden, I've signed up for 2 tournaments, I'm going to be all up in the Madden Mix like I stole it and I didn't even like the game the last 2 years? And I'm excited? WTH?

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: How in the world did THIS happen?

Not sure what going on, I mean I'm sure you have reason to get excited, I mean it's the only PRO football game coming out, so I quess you can get ecited. Anyway I always played both 2k football and Madden every year, always loving 2K more, and never really keeping Madden. Well I just bought 2K5 the other day and I'm having a blast playing it again, after months of not playing it at all. I know Madden is right around the corner, even though I kida know what I'm going to get with Madden, not to knock it, but I'm not getting a game that has tons of updates, I'm just not that excited for Madden this year at all, I just hope that as I'm feeling like this, I hope I get Madden and it just suprises me, I just hope it's better then last years game, well I hope it's a lot better then last year. Anyway if I Madden turns out tyo be a dud I still have 2K5 to play all over again
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 08-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

kinda seems you got your hopes up by taking the people who have played the advanced copies opinion, with a grain of salt, and then telling yourself that "madden could be great".

YOu're ALMOST setting the bar too high.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
kinda seems you got your hopes up by taking the people who have played the advanced copies opinion, with a grain of salt, and then telling yourself that "madden could be great".

YOu're ALMOST setting the bar too high.

maybe I am...but if so it's not b/c I am trying. My main point wasn't that I'm excited...All I'm saying is that I haven't really cared for Madden recently, and all of a sudden I haev it pre-ordered and I'm signed up for tournaments. Kinda just fell into it all.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 08-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

yeah thats pretty cool i guess.. how you were out of the loop, persay for 2 years and then BOOM.. TOTAL overload.

Just watch out for those 8 year olds. My little cousin is visicious with michael vick
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
yeah thats pretty cool i guess.. how you were out of the loop, persay for 2 years and then BOOM.. TOTAL overload.

Just watch out for those 8 year olds. My little cousin is visicious with michael vick

i think you might be the only 2k person excited about madden

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

I am a huge 2k person and I am excited for Madden. A football game's a football game, and I get to enjoy all the little tidbits that have been there for 3 years that no one cares about anymore since I haven't owned Madden since 2002 for PSX. So really, it doesn't matter to me right now if it hasn't changed for 5 years. Cause everything about the game will be new to me.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

thats true

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »