Home

EA finally got the passing game right

This is a discussion on EA finally got the passing game right within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 08-09-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
EA finally got the passing game right

I've made a little bit of noise on this board about being able to turn to passing cone off and giving those that do so an advantage.

Boy was I wrong! The cone is great.... if you choose to use it. Those that don't like the cone..... just turn it off. One of the differences that I immeadiatley found out was that if the cone is off and I chuck up a deep pass then the cpu won't automatically catch it for me. It is either dropped or knocked down by a defender. The only way to catch the deep ball w/o the cone is if I manually catch it myself.

This IMO is a great addition to the game that truly evens the playing field. I think that the thing with cheesers is that they want to make great throws w/o really having to work for it (i.e. fade 30 yds and pass).
Madden has addressed that issue to a tee this year with what they have done. For those folks that don't want to learn V&P cool..... just learn how to catch. For the folks that want to have the same experience as a QB cool..... just stay cool under the pressure and make the right reads.

I find that by using the cone I don't always have to click in and manually catch the ball the cpu will do it for me if I make the proper read (just like previous versions of madden, except that in previous versions I could make all kinds of crazy completions).

Great job EA! I believe that we have found the answer to the passing dilemma that has plagued this game for years. Now if only the cone could be turned off online then I think that (almost) everyone would be happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: EA finally got the passing game right

Great synopsis! I agree.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

anyone else notice this?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 17

Well what I figured out is that you dont need to lock onto a player to make an accurate throw

Basically what I do is let the CPU do the QB drop automatically and scan the field using the analog stick.. I try to memorize each route for the play before I snap and move the cone to an area of the field where I know the receiver is running his pattern and then pass the ball accordingly. I usually lead the receiver with the pass and then take control of the receiver to make the catch.

I think this i a heck of a lot easier than using the R button and then having to press the receiver button once to lock and then again to throw. By just using the cone and having the field of vision in the area of where the receiver is going, all you have to do is press the receiver's button and the throw is just as accurate as if you locked onto him. Everyone is different but this seems to save a step and makes it a bit more fun because you are throwing to an area of the field and controlling the receiver to catch the ball
Old 08-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc123
I've made a little bit of noise on this board about being able to turn to passing cone off and giving those that do so an advantage.

Boy was I wrong! The cone is great.... if you choose to use it. Those that don't like the cone..... just turn it off. One of the differences that I immeadiatley found out was that if the cone is off and I chuck up a deep pass then the cpu won't automatically catch it for me. It is either dropped or knocked down by a defender. The only way to catch the deep ball w/o the cone is if I manually catch it myself.

This IMO is a great addition to the game that truly evens the playing field. I think that the thing with cheesers is that they want to make great throws w/o really having to work for it (i.e. fade 30 yds and pass).
Madden has addressed that issue to a tee this year with what they have done. For those folks that don't want to learn V&P cool..... just learn how to catch. For the folks that want to have the same experience as a QB cool..... just stay cool under the pressure and make the right reads.

I find that by using the cone I don't always have to click in and manually catch the ball the cpu will do it for me if I make the proper read (just like previous versions of madden, except that in previous versions I could make all kinds of crazy completions).

Great job EA! I believe that we have found the answer to the passing dilemma that has plagued this game for years. Now if only the cone could be turned off online then I think that (almost) everyone would be happy.

I am not so sure that this new vision cone precision passing will eliminate cheese. It may eliminate some cheese play, but it is way too early to say that the passing game cheese is gone for good. It could be that some of the old cheese is simply replaced with new cheese.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

well i havent turned the cone off so i dont know...but are you sure that its because its off? when i changed difficulty up to all-madden it turned off the user help settings, one being receiver catching or auto catching or something like that. not sure if that made the difference, but if it is the cone being off thats really nice

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »